Mobil 1 0w40 to become factory fill on Corvettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's disappointing, I had figured this 0w40 might have had a good amount of PAO in it, like the European Formula. Seems like a little bit of a backwards step
frown.gif

Bright clear dry base oil is bright clear dry base oil.
PAO content is probably just enough to help viscosity index and pour point. I am sure it is a good formula.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Patman
Apparently it is going to be the ESP 0w40 that's been out in Europe for a while.

What kind of OCI range does the OLM dictate for this new Corvette?

Because time is now a factor in the OLM on the new Corvettes, the numbers are all over the place, so it's hard to get an exact number of miles as to how far you could go. Most guys hit the one year mark before they hit the mileage mark, and the OLM will not let you go past one year. Even if you never start the engine, the OLM will hit zero on the one year anniversary of resetting it.

I'm going to drive mine a lot more than the average Corvette owner, so I'll be sure to report my experience with the OLM. So far I have 516 miles on it and my OLM is at 89%, however it dropped from 100% to 91% just from driving it 80 miles home from the dealer and then it was sitting for one month in my garage until the roads were clean enough to take it out again.

So now I need to figure out if I'm going to run this new 0w40 in my new Corvette, or if I'm going to stick with one of the three 5w30s. And if I stick with 5w30, do I go with regular M1 5w30 or EP or AP? Keep in mind that the LT1 engine uses direct injection, so that could factor into which one of these oils is the best choice.

I was initially quite excited at the thought of a "new" 0w40 from M1 as I figured it might be their most advanced formula, considering their regular formula hasn't been changed in a while and same with EP. But to hear it's just the same ESP formula from Europe, and really doesn't appear to be anything all that special, makes me wonder if 5w30 AP might be the best choice of all.

Here is a video that was taken at a Corvette event talking about the new 0w40 and in that video around the 2 minute mark they mention that this oil was developed in Europe and reformulated to bring to the US market, so that leads me to believe that the MSDS and data sheets above are not correct, they are for the European oil. So I will now reserve judgement on this new oil until I see the actual data and MSDS for the dexos1 rated 0w40 that will be sold in the US.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018/01/29/2019-corvettes-now-factory-filled-mobil-1-0w-40-motor-oil/

Why would the 0W40 be Dexos 1 rated ?

Dexos2 is Petrol rating as well everywhere else in the world, HTHS >3.5
Dexos1 are all ILSAC 30s and below.

Further, here's from the official Dexos site, with the Gen 2.

They've includes all of the sub 20 grades, but clearly not the 40s.

NOTE that 5W30, and 0W40 are the only factory fill Dexos 2 options, while service fill extends to 0W30 (>3.5HTHS), and 5W40.

http://standards.globalspec.com/std/10059385/gmw16177
Quote:
Standard: GMW16177
ENGINE OIL, GLOBAL SERVICE-FILL DIESEL ENGINE AND REGIONAL SERVICE- FILL SPARK-IGNITED ENGINE SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-30, SAE 0W-40, SAE 5W-40

So given the recent revision of Dexos1, if the 0W40 IS a Dexos 1, I'll stand naked in Bracey's to quote the local vernacular.

So I will now reserve judgement on this new oil until I see the actual data and MSDS for the dexos1 rated 0w40 that will be sold in the US.

Why would it be dexos1?

As Shannow noted, and as I mentioned long time ago, dexos1 does not allow 40 grades. It seems unlikely that GM would revise the entire dexos1 spec just to allow this one particular exception.

Perhaps GM plans on using this oil in a lot more applications in the future? I'm not sure of the politics of it all, I just know that the Corvette requires dexos1, so this new oil has to meet that spec.

I'm not sure of the politics of it all, I just know that the Corvette requires dexos1, so this new oil has to meet that spec.

From the link that you posted, this label clearly states dexos2:

012818_10b.jpg

Now I'm more confused than ever, since my owner's manual doesn't mention dexos2 at all (only dexos1), and if you go onto the dexos site they say that dexos1 is for gasoline engines and dexos2 is for diesel engines.

and if you go onto the dexos site they say that dexos1 is for gasoline engines and dexos2 is for diesel engines.

That's not exactly the case. dexos2 is basically mid/low SAPS oil. In other parts of the world that use ultra low sulfur gasoline, GM has been allowing the use of dexos2 in gasoline engines for quite some time now. They were not allowing it in North America because our gasoline was not ultra low sulfur, but now things are changing. Not sure about Canada, but US is in the process of shifting to ULS gasoline. Some states already are.

And really, the main concern with using mid/low SAPS oils with high sulfur gasoline is that you need to be mindful of OCI. As long as you are not doing very long OCI, there is no issue. Is it possible GM has reprogrammed the OLM in your Vette to account for this?

Quote:
since my owner's manual doesn't mention dexos2 at all (only dexos1),

What does your owner's manual specifically say? Can you scan and post up that particular section of the manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back