Corvette Oil Question--Flavors of Mobil 1

I'm currently running Mobil 1 EP 5w30 for my first OCI in my 07 Vette LS2. I'm certain it will be great. BUT....Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 or 5w40 are each about a buck cheaper at Wallyworld for a jug and they both meet Porsche's A40 standard. So I'm probably going to switch to one of those. I'm leaning toward 5w40 because it isn't such a far stretch in the Viscosity range. Maybe I'll go with the 0w in the winter. I plan to run 5k OCI's or change it spring and fall. Whichever comes first. So likely it will be less than 5k at each change. I am currently running a Fram Endurance and will continue with that, the Ultra, or a Bosch.

I don't take the car to the track, although I might at some point for a fun day, but I'm not going to beat on it. Mostly, I drive in a touring style. Short bursts of power, maybe 30 or 40 seconds of ripping it to redline through the gears. Never a high rpm clutch dump launch. None of the hard running is sustained for very long...not looking for lap times. At the same time, I don't drive it like a grandpa. And I do drive it. Frequently. It won't be a hangar queen.

I'm sure the engine will do exceptionally well with any of the 3 choices. I am asking Just out of curiosity, and with the high respect I have for the folks around here. So I'm asking the hive. What would Bitogers run in this car among those 3 oils?

It has 58,500 miles on it. It is a base coupe with a six speed. Loads of fun, but again, not a race car.

Of the three which is the better in your situation ? all will do well !
I like the euro spec oils myself as they do meet a strict set of specs and would run one of them but as you state not a race car so i think its a wash .

Looking at the SDS for each, it appears the 0w40 has a good dose of PAO (30-40%) and the 5w40 is more Group III, if I understand it correctly.

Just looking at the details. But @hemitom I agree, it's a wash other than the dollar difference per jug at Wally between the Euros and the EP. Just curious of everyone's thoughts, including yours, so thank you!

What about the Mobil-1 Supercar 0W-40, rated DEXOS R? That's the latest Corvette recommendation. Formerly Mobil-1 ESP 0W-40, it should perform well for you.

What about the Mobil-1 Supercar 0W-40, rated DEXOS R? That's the latest Corvette recommendation. Formerly Mobil-1 ESP 0W-40, it should perform well for you.
It's a good oil, but it's not worth the price difference over the M1 Euro 0w-40. The LS engine doesn't require a lower SAPS oil, like the direct injected LT engines.

And the purpose of the Dexos R is to drive on street and track with the same oil. He's already said he won't be driving on the track.

Last edited:
I use the Euro 0-40 in my GT500...or RP HPS 5-30 if I have it in stock. I buy the M1 Euro in the 12Qt cardboard case when my local wallyworld has it and I buy the RP HPS 5-30 in the 5 gal pale. I use them both, my UOA across multiple vehicles has led me to use whichever I have on hand across our 5 vehicles. Either has Zinc and Phos levels over 1K PPM, but the 0-40 seems to have better shear stability and seems to do better at extended OCIs by 10%.

Last edited:
I ran Mobil 1 0w40 in my LS1 GTO. That was my preferred oil. I also used it in my 5.0 F150, 3.7 Ford Edge, 4.2 Jaguar V8, and have ran it in my GTI now. It does usually have Castrol in it because the dealer has done 2 of the 3 oil changes so far, but I'll probably stick with Mobil 1 when I change it myself because it's easier to come by than the Xw40 Castrol Euro formulas.

As a latecomer to Mobil 1 0W-40 I just wanted to chime in with accolades for it's greatness.
For the last 17 years I've run vanilla Mobil 1 10W-30 FS/Mobil 1 M1-301 filters (now running FRAM XG8A's thanks to BITOG's recommendations) in my Foxbody Mustang. That combination has worked flawlessly during that span which is why I never deviated from it, and stayed true to the recommended 10W-30 viscosity advocated by Ford.

What I've noticed on this first ever change to the Euro 0W-40 is the engine is much quieter, runs noticeably cooler, and seems to spin much more freely. All of that coupled with it's ability to clean makes it the only oil I'll use going forward. Sign me up as another leghumping fanboy:love:

But in my particular case...Mobil 1 10W-30 vs. 0W-40, the Euro formula would provide easier pumpability at start-up regardless of temp, no?
It really depends on the oil - the 0/5/10 ratings are empirical values that identify an oil's cold temp performance in accordance with SAE J300 standards. Those tests are done at temps well below 0.

An oil's kinematic viscosity can vary. You'd need to test (or map) out the oil's in question to see how they compare.

Back