Merkava Mark IV Battle Tank

Israel has manufactured its own battle tanks since 1979 using systems from the USA. The current version is called a Merkava. Here are some specs on the Merkava Mark IV. There is also a Mark V out there. The engine is a General Dynamics V-12 Turbocharged 1500 HP mill. Not sure what HDEO they use.

1FE341AD-9505-45EF-8AF5-0A70F4E61F0D.jpeg
4B942AF0-471D-41F7-AD19-87C4613725F1.jpeg
8EF55C58-4F85-424E-90B1-93CF61806B5C.jpeg
33D07E94-1BC1-4F17-8270-6CAF5C2A7C31.jpeg

Last edited:
Israel has manufactured its own battle tanks since 1979 using systems from the USA. The current version is called a Merkava. Here are some specs on the Merkava Mark IV. There is also a Mark V out there. The engine is a General Dynamics V-12 Turbocharged 1500 HP mill. Not sure what HDEO they use.

I have attached an official US Army UOA on the MTU-883 below, using a (albeit dated) generic MIL-L-2104 15w-40 lube oil (The GD engine is a licensed MTU copy). Current versions take 75 liters total fill volume. Might want to buy that by the barrel. That would cover two oil changes and any top-up in-between.

Of note, that pic is of an early (pre-~2010) Merkava IV, without the Trophy APS. The AESA radar and countermeasure launcher on each side would be prominent on the turret edge on either side of the commander’s cupola.

The Trophy system is so critical for survivability that all new and frontline Abrams, Leopards, and now Centurions are carrying it or getting it ASAP. It is from Rafael, an Israeli company.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trophy_(countermeasure)

The new Merkava V (“Barak” (lighting)) is really just an IV with an upgraded Trophy and a 360 degree “see-through” sensor system and augmented-reality helmet system for the commander - “IronVision.” The upgrade is so significant to capabilities, though, that it’s getting a new variant name and designation. It’s the same basic system used in F-35s - from Elbit of Israel. The latest Apache system is also from Elbit.

https://elbitsystems.com/product/ironvision/

The IDF just started getting the Merkava V this summer, so there are few out there operational. This will be the combat debut. Results here will influence how the next generation Abrams is configured, and how quickly.

Older (!) UOA on the MTU-883:

AB74A7E6-E5EC-4013-82DE-37AC53E93594.jpeg

Last edited:
all the old 2 stroke Detroits used to spec Mil 2104b... so that is old. :)
the tanks are cool.

From what I read it's one of OR THE MOST ADVANCED tank in the world. But I wonder, as just revealed between RPGs which was always an issue. Hamas used rudimentary drones agains them, (one confirmed) that immobilized it, crewed escaped, not known if it's repairable at the time of reporting.
I suspect there is already a radio jamming device that will be used and if not, one soon because some of the drones used were, for lack of better words "homemade" type devices and a real problem.

They are putting the "roof" thingies on their tanks that we first saw the Russians do and made fun of them.

From what I read it's one of OR THE MOST ADVANCED tank in the world. But I wonder, as just revealed between RPGs which was always an issue. Hamas used rudimentary drones agains them, (one confirmed) that immobilized it, crewed escaped, not known if it's repairable at the time of reporting.
I suspect there is already a radio jamming device that will be used and if not, one soon because some of the drones used were, for lack of better words "homemade" type devices and a real problem.

The video I saw of the drone hit looked like it was in fact a 4M model w/Trophy. Whether it was active is a question as they don’t run around all the time with the AESA radar and system active for obvious reasons. And it may well have a vulnerability like that if the drone is allowed to close too closely and exploit a vulnerability directly above. The Merkava has defeated drones in the past and also has EW defenses like you said; but tech is always evolving and not all tanks have the same systems.

Not all Merkava 4s in use have Trophy (“Windbreaker” in Israeli naming), only later ones. Pic below.

They are putting the "roof" thingies on their tanks that we first saw the Russians do and made fun of them.

Aka - “Cope cages” as they were dubbed in Russian usage. ;)

In this pic from a few days ago, you can see a mixed-tank unit. The foreground tank is an early Merkava Mk. 4 w/o Windbreaker/Trophy. It would be installed where I placed the red circle. The following two tanks clearly have it (arrows on port side installations; is the same to starboard) and are later Mk 4M models.

342A2928-D17A-4D2A-AA80-AC8C70FFEE0E.jpeg

"Skirting" on a tank to make an incoming shell explode early so it won't penetrate the main armor is a common defensive feature. It was widespread in WWII. Not sure why anyone would make fun of that.

"Skirting" on a tank to make an incoming shell explode early so it won't penetrate the main armor is a common defensive feature. It was widespread in WWII. Not sure why anyone would make fun of that.
I think it was because it was on top the turret of the T-72 tanks to protect from Javelins and FPV drones. But now that it's on Merkavas, it's a genius solution. It's amazing how these consumer grade DJI drones are effective short range threats to armor and personnel.

Back