Honda IGXV800 EFI Zero Turn

I have read through a bunch of threads and there is a lot of great info on this forum. Even with this abundance of info I wanted to make a post to get some direct advice. Firstly regarding the choice of oil. I am going to run full synthetic 10w-30. Generally speaking, with all my other small engines (Predator, Brigs, Toro and KOHLER) I usually just run what ever synthetic 10w-30 is on sale Castrol GTX, mobile one, etc. due to this particular machine being a much larger investment I want to cross my T’s and dot my I‘s so to speak. This is the same reason I have begun installing hour meters on new equipment also. I have never had problems doing this and always change the filter with the oil change. For the Honda I may just pick one oil and stick with it.

In comes Honda. The owner manual states to change the oil at 20 hrs or the first month. Just the oil (10w-30 SJ or later/equivalent). The filter change does not occur, according to the manual, at 200 hrs. The badboy manual states 8 hours. I was going to split the difference and change at 12 hours but then I started reading.

It seems that many of you change oil at 5 hours or so to get the shavings and crud out of the system. This makes sense to do and is what I plan do do. I am almost at the 5 hour mark now after getting it this week. The manual says to change oil filter every 200 hrs. if I’m changing oil it seems only wise to change the filter also. Unless I’m missing sometime important. Would you advise changing the filter also? It currently has a blue Honda filter on it.

Also, contrary to what I’ve always been told regarding non ethanol fuel (to use it u=in your small engines) Honda recommends a pump octane rating of 86 or higher.

Thank you.

I'd change it at 5 hours and the filter too.. and I'd cut open the filter dry it out for a couple days with paper towels and rubber band..
then put up pics of what was in the filter pleats.

Changing the filter or oil can't "hurt anything" Change it as much as you want(only damaging your wallet $$)... change it too little can have consequences.

I change the oil in my home tractor about 25 hours.. or once a year. Its usually black as coal by then(onan gas motor). Could I change it once every 2 years or twice a year? sure. Oil change is about $3.50

Now the air filter I usually let go 3-5 years. I do take off clean and reoil the foam prefilter... and maybe hit the filter with some low power compressed air.

Last edited:
I have read through a bunch of threads and there is a lot of great info on this forum. Even with this abundance of info I wanted to make a post to get some direct advice. Firstly regarding the choice of oil. I am going to run full synthetic 10w-30. Generally speaking, with all my other small engines (Predator, Brigs, Toro and KOHLER) I usually just run what ever synthetic 10w-30 is on sale Castrol GTX, mobile one, etc. due to this particular machine being a much larger investment I want to cross my T’s and dot my I‘s so to speak. This is the same reason I have begun installing hour meters on new equipment also. I have never had problems doing this and always change the filter with the oil change. For the Honda I may just pick one oil and stick with it.

In comes Honda. The owner manual states to change the oil at 20 hrs or the first month. Just the oil (10w-30 SJ or later/equivalent). The filter change does not occur, according to the manual, at 200 hrs. The badboy manual states 8 hours. I was going to split the difference and change at 12 hours but then I started reading.

It seems that many of you change oil at 5 hours or so to get the shavings and crud out of the system. This makes sense to do and is what I plan do do. I am almost at the 5 hour mark now after getting it this week. The manual says to change oil filter every 200 hrs. if I’m changing oil it seems only wise to change the filter also. Unless I’m missing sometime important. Would you advise changing the filter also? It currently has a blue Honda filter on it.

Also, contrary to what I’ve always been told regarding non ethanol fuel (to use it u=in your small engines) Honda recommends a pump octane rating of 86 or higher.

Thank you.
What lawn mower is this on?

Photos?

I'd change it at 5 hours and the filter too.. and I'd cut open the filter dry it out for a couple days with paper towels and rubber band..
then put up pics of what was in the filter pleats.

Changing the filter or oil can't "hurt anything" Change it as much as you want(only damaging your wallet $$)... change it too little can have consequences.

I change the oil in my home tractor about 25 hours.. or once a year. Its usually black as coal by then(onan gas motor). Could I change it once every 2 years or twice a year? sure. Oil change is about $3.50

Now the air filter I usually let go 3-5 years. I do take off clean and reoil the foam prefilter... and maybe hit the filter with some low power compressed air.
This is a good idea and cutting the filter will be interesting. Thank you for the advice!

I change the oil & filter yearly on my JD Zero Turn with the 20HP Intek OHV V-twin. Usually about 25 hours per season. Using Rotella 5W30 Multi Vehicle & ST3614 filter. Sleep well at nite...

11 years ago when I purchased my Big Dog 42" Zero Turn I changed the oil at 5 hours and then went 10 hours and then started a yearly oil and filter change. Mine has a 17.5 hp B&S Intek engine. I started out using Pennzoil Ultra 10-30 but now use Amsoil Small Engine oil. The Intek engines seem to have a bad reputation especially for blowing head gaskets at about the 500-600 hour point. So far so good. Mine will pass the 600 hr mark sometime next year.

11 years ago when I purchased my Big Dog 42" Zero Turn I changed the oil at 5 hours and then went 10 hours and then started a yearly oil and filter change. Mine has a 17.5 hp B&S Intek engine. I started out using Pennzoil Ultra 10-30 but now use Amsoil Small Engine oil. The Intek engines seem to have a bad reputation especially for blowing head gaskets at about the 500-600 hour point. So far so good. Mine will pass the 600 hr mark sometime next year.
That’s great. Have you noticed any difference running Amsoil vs the Pennzoil?

I am really liking the engine so far. Only issue is I have is it did not come with the Donaldson canister air filter Like the Kawasaki, KOHLER and Honda 700 came with. Not sure why. So in order for me to clean off the air filter I need to take off a few bolts and drop the back plate. So it’s either upgrade to that or live with it.

Attachments

• IMG-9433.jpg
    IMG-9433.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG-9441.jpg
    IMG-9441.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG-9446.jpg
    IMG-9446.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG-9443.jpg
    IMG-9443.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG-9442.jpg
    IMG-9442.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 42
I am really liking the engine so far. Only issue is I have is it did not come with the Donaldson canister air filter Like the Kawasaki, KOHLER and Honda 700 came with. Not sure why. So in order for me to clean off the air filter I need to take off a few bolts and drop the back plate. So it’s either upgrade to that or live with it.
suprising they don't run a pre filter on that air filter that's just not cool at all

The engine used a very small amount of oil (3 or 4 oz.) when on the Pennzoil. Consumption ceased on the Amsoil. I did have an interesting problem concerning the air filter. I purchased two filters on Amazon which were China generic. I found those filters passed really fine dust which showed up as a film on the intake area just pass the filter. Cleaned it up and went back to B&S filter.

SAE 30 HD or 10W30 small engine oil. Kohler, Kawasaki, Honda, or Briggs and Stratton are common choices.
Automotive motor oil isn’t the best choice.

Attachments

• 3F13798F-4D60-4391-8764-7D307094DF50.jpg
    3F13798F-4D60-4391-8764-7D307094DF50.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 17
Back