It's time for the motorcycle insurance shuffle

Estimated 13% of drivers are uninsured, hardly everybody else. Feel free if you have nothing to lose.
I would say the number is closer to 50%...and I was being sarcastic, I wouldn't drive without insurance, though I do feel those who do and get caught get off way too easy...I think those who get caught driving on a suspended license/no license, driving with expired or suspended tags, or no insurance should be arrested and their vehicle impounded. As it is, there isn't enough punishment doled out to deter future violations...

Or I could just become like everybody else and not have ANY insurance...

You might as well.

Crash with car tires on your motorcycle, and a claim is likely to be denied anyway.

I'd mention the insurance company I use for our bikes, but I'd rather keep the rates low for people who understand that for a motorcycle to operate as intended, it needs to have motorcycle tires.

You might as well.

Crash with car tires on your motorcycle, and a claim is likely to be denied anyway.

I'd mention the insurance company I use for our bikes, but I'd rather keep the rates low for people who understand that for a motorcycle to operate as intended, it needs to have motorcycle tires.
Oh jeez..give a rest already...

I doubt darksiding would have any effect on insurance not covering...doubt anyone would even notice.

If you engage in the practice, you should do so knowing the possible ramifications.

I gave an example to @grampi of a couple I knew of, who were running a car tire on their Goldwing. Of course he called it a lie...

Desperation to save a buck will make some people do bizarre things.

Due to incompatible bead profiles and a sidewall which is not designed for the same loading as a motorcycle tire, the car tire lost the bead while trying to negotiate a curve, and they crashed. They survived the crash, with some serious, but luckily not life-threatening injuries. But the insurance adjuster denied the claim when the car tire was noticed, due to improper equipment, which had been a direct cause in the crash.

So it begs the question: Why have insurance if it will be void anyway?

I've been playing this game over the last year and it's always the same, they offer a low rate to get you in the door but then every renewal they keep raising their rates. I typically use Progressive but switched to State Farm, they blew them away on the motorcycle and I was saving so much that I also switched the vehicles over, they were just over $500 for the first 6 months but then increased to $600 and now they wanted $720 so I had enough of their shenanigans. Progressive was doing the same although smaller increases, when I switched they wanted $451 so a year later they give me a policy for $353. I don't understand how they can write me a policy for roughly $100 less when rates keep increasing. They did undercut Progressive on my bike for about 1/2 the cost.

My State Farm agent said the uninsured motorist fee had increased which I find ironic due to VA ending the $500 uninsured motorist fee so now to be able to register your vehicle here it needs to have insurance so now everyone is forced to have a policy which honestly is a good thing. If everyone has insurance then why is there still an uninsured motorist fee?

I've been playing this game over the last year and it's always the same, they offer a low rate to get you in the door but then every renewal they keep raising their rates. I typically use Progressive but switched to State Farm, they blew them away on the motorcycle and I was saving so much that I also switched the vehicles over, they were just over $500 for the first 6 months but then increased to $600 and now they wanted $720 so I had enough of their shenanigans. Progressive was doing the same although smaller increases, when I switched they wanted $451 so a year later they give me a policy for $353. I don't understand how they can write me a policy for roughly $100 less when rates keep increasing. They did undercut Progressive on my bike for about 1/2 the cost.

My State Farm agent said the uninsured motorist fee had increased which I find ironic due to VA ending the $500 uninsured motorist fee so now to be able to register your vehicle here it needs to have insurance so now everyone is forced to have a policy which honestly is a good thing. If everyone has insurance then why is there still an uninsured motorist fee?

Everyone is supposed to have insurance. That doesn't mean everyone does. Around here, there are far too many people driving with no license, no registration, no insurance, often in the country illegally, and frequently DUI. So if you want to try to protect yourself, you want to have good coverage.

Everyone is supposed to have insurance. That doesn't mean everyone does. Around here, there are far too many people driving with no license, no registration, no insurance, often in the country illegally, and frequently DUI. So if you want to try to protect yourself, you want to have good coverage.
As a Vol. Fire Fighter you wouldn't believe the number of accidents that I've worked where someone did not have insurance, also my dad owns a farm which borders a major highway in the area and 90% of the time when someone runs through his fence they do not have coverage, I can only remember one person that did who ended up having a medical issue and it was a company truck from a place just up the road from our shop. There is no way I would ever take a chance not having coverage, knowing my luck it would totally come back to get me.

I almost expect insurance to go up but not $100+ in 6 months. I think they are only offering that length so they can increase you twice per year instead of only the once.

It's advice which is right in line with what you've advocated on here. I would think you'd be thrilled. Save even more money and forego the insurance, which would likely be void anyway. 🤷‍♂️
Go away...your posts are nothing but annoying...

I doubt darksiding would have any effect on insurance not covering...doubt anyone would even notice.
It doesn't...02SE came up with one rider out of tens of thousands who darkside who he claims had his insurance claim denied because the guy was running a car tire...that's some sample...

If you engage in the practice, you should do so knowing the possible ramifications.

I gave an example to @grampi of a couple I knew of, who were running a car tire on their Goldwing. Of course he called it a lie...

Desperation to save a buck will make some people do bizarre things.

Due to incompatible bead profiles and a sidewall which is not designed for the same loading as a motorcycle tire, the car tire lost the bead while trying to negotiate a curve, and they crashed. They survived the crash, with some serious, but luckily not life-threatening injuries. But the insurance adjuster denied the claim when the car tire was noticed, due to improper equipment, which had been a direct cause in the crash.

So it begs the question: Why have insurance if it will be void anyway?
So because in ONE case it was denied, it will be in every case? You crack me up...

As a Vol. Fire Fighter you wouldn't believe the number of accidents that I've worked where someone did not have insurance, also my dad owns a farm which borders a major highway in the area and 90% of the time when someone runs through his fence they do not have coverage, I can only remember one person that did who ended up having a medical issue and it was a company truck from a place just up the road from our shop. There is no way I would ever take a chance not having coverage, knowing my luck it would totally come back to get me.

I almost expect insurance to go up but not $100+ in 6 months. I think they are only offering that length so they can increase you twice per year instead of only the once.
That's why I said to an earlier poster who claimed the number of uninsured drivers is something like 13% that I think the number is much higher than that. I don't know how that number is determined, but it doesn't reflect the numbers I see. Talking to drivers here who have been in accidents, and talking to police officers who see this stuff every day, they say at least half of the time drivers don't have at least one, or any of the following, insurance, a valid driver's license, or a valid registration...

The following applies to all insurance companies. There are at times where someone might be an exception.

1. First year rates. No way around that, many companies offer first year rates. Some might call it teaser rates. I agree it's a pain but that doesnt stop me from playing the game. Over time I think it reflects in your insurance score and I am starting to think once they see you as a "switcher" your rates might stay more stable. I dont know but after a decade or so, mine are more stable.
I carry A LOT of insurance. Low price ALWAYS wins. It's my hobby, no big deal to go online and check for lower rates two times a year. Switching is easy as heck. I switch ANYTIME I find a lower rate. I do not wait for renewal time.

2. Companies that reward you for being loyal is a bad joke, Companies that offer your special bundle rates is a bad joke. Insurance companies are in business to make money, no different than any other company. You are NOT special to them except for your money. Every trick in the book to keep extracting as much money as they can from you. (that is what business is about) Including showing you the LONG list of discounts you are getting, State Farm is famous for that. They are not your friend and you can take those discounts with a grain of salt.

3. I use any company with any name that gives me the best price. I have different companies for my house, cars, boat, motorcycle and life insurance. BY coincidence this year I have the same company for bike, boat and home. Only because the home insurance was the lowest rate and obtained by the builder it turned out who I use for the bike and boat. First time in decades maybe my home is insurance with a company I have something else insured with. Typically I switch home insurance way more than all the others. I would say on average every 3 years I switch because of rate creep.

4. SO to answer the OP, right now, hands down for the motorcycle and boat Progressive has been the least expensive a number of years now. Many years back it was Greco.

5. Best way to shop insurance for me personally has been online. Just like any shopping, it helps if you enjoy it because that provides the incentive for the best price. If you go to the same "store" every year, year after year, how do you know if the price you are paying is good. I like shopping for value. I spend enough time in BITOG, if anything I spend 1/100 th the time checking insurance prices all year long.

Your rates are dependent on your insurance score, much like interest rates are dependent on your credit score. It's pointless trying to compare rates with others but it's great to get the names of companies to check. I just search endlessly on line for fun. I dont care the name of the company, low price wins.

It doesn't...02SE came up with one rider out of tens of thousands who darkside who he claims had his insurance claim denied because the guy was running a car tire...that's some sample...

One that I know of well.

Most people aren't foolish and cheap enough to install a car tire on their motorcycle. So it's rarely seen.

I only know of that case because I asked the shop owner what the outcome had been with the couple on the car-tire shod crashed Goldwing.

The shop owner was amazed that anyone would spend 25k+ on a Goldwing, and then be so desperately cheap as to intentionally run a tire which imparts wonky handling, and has a much better chance of causing a crash, if the incompatible wheel/tire beads become unseated.

I guarantee any insurance adjuster is looking for a reason to not pay a claim...

If a car tire was nothing but positive on a motorcycle, you would think that the MotoGP teams would be clamoring for the chance to run them.

Good luck.

One that I know of well.

Most people aren't foolish and cheap enough to install a car tire on their motorcycle. So it's rarely seen.

I only know of that case because I asked the shop owner what the outcome had been with the couple on the car-tire shod crashed Goldwing.

The shop owner was amazed that anyone would spend 25k+ on a Goldwing, and then be so desperately cheap as to intentionally run a tire which imparts wonky handling, and has a much better chance of causing a crash, if the incompatible wheel/tire beads become unseated.

I guarantee any insurance adjuster is looking for a reason to not pay a claim...

If a car tire was nothing but positive on a motorcycle, you would think that the MotoGP teams would be clamoring for the chance to run them.

Good luck.
To be fair, most people install these on the rear for superior tread wear, not cost savings. I have a set of Michelin Commander IIs on my bike that wear slower than just about anything else as far as bike tires go, but they still can't hold a candle to a good auto tire.

One that I know of well.

Good luck.
There are literally tens of thousands of darksiders who would disagree with your theories...and that's all they are...

To be fair, most people install these on the rear for superior tread wear, not cost savings. I have a set of Michelin Commander IIs on my bike that wear slower than just about anything else as far as bike tires go, but they still can't hold a candle to a good auto tire.
You'll never convince guys like 02SE, even with proof...

Why would you care about tread wear, if it's NOT about cost savings?

Back