Looking for a reliable and easy maintenance car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andyd
.. How annoying is it for the DIYer? I'm about to push the buy on oil, filters and washers. Where did you buy the special socket? TIA
grin2.gif

Andy, I couldn't help you there. I never used one and haven't touched my mom's 2016 Camry.

How annoying is it for the DIYer? I'm about to push the buy on oil, filters and washers. Where did you buy the special socket? TIA
grin2.gif

It's not that bad, I bought one from MotivX and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Motivx-Tools-Toyo...9CWX3KF5GXG8NNZ

Just be sure to drain the filter housing before you remove it. The oil filter I bought included an adapter that you screw into the housing.

www.truedelta.com It's the only real world reliability website with actual data.

FWIW, Toyota is the most reliable brand, the Camry is the worlds most reliable car.

Honda and the Accord are a close second.

Truedelta has an incredible amount of data available. Including cost of repairs. Toyota comes out on top again, with lowest cost of repairs.

They provide reliability data by car generation also. Spend a little time there, especially reviewing the brands and models as cars age. The picture becomes quite clear.

I'd like to add that a used Camry is not necessarily cheaper when you calculate cost per mile. There are some great deals on new Camry's, that won't need repairs, tires, battery, brakes or anything for at least 60,000 miles.

Same goes for the Accord.

Recently drove my first Toyota - a 2016 Corolla rental. Pretty amazed at how poorly it drove. Steering and handling were among the worst I’ve experienced in probably a decade. Engine was buzzy too. I’m sure it’s reliable, but it’s not worth it for me.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I'd like to add that a used Camry is not necessarily cheaper when you calculate cost per mile. There are some great deals on new Camry's, that won't need repairs, tires, battery, brakes or anything for at least 60,000 miles.

You'll need tires on a new Camry after about 20-25K miles... After 17K miles on the stock Bridgestones they might last this winter...
eek.gif

Although nothing other than that...

Originally Posted By: E365
Recently drove my first Toyota - a 2016 Corolla rental. Pretty amazed at how poorly it drove. Steering and handling were among the worst I’ve experienced in probably a decade. Engine was buzzy too. I’m sure it’s reliable, but it’s not worth it for me.

I agree. The Corolla is not among the more pleasing cars to drive. I rent cars regularly and I prefer not to rent a Corolla. Given the choice, I'd choose nearly anything else.

The new Camry is another story. While not sporty, they drive quite well and are competent when pushed.

Originally Posted By: Delta

You'll need tires on a new Camry after about 20-25K miles... After 17K miles on the stock Bridgestones they might last this winter...
eek.gif

Tires, battery, front brakes and other small maintenance items. None of which are free.

Locally, we have 2017 Camry and Accord "leftovers" for $22K. Not a bad price for a very reliable new car.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: wolf_06
Yup, exacly what I wanted, 16 on steel wheels.

Another thing to keep in mind.. If you like doing your own oil changes, keep in mind newer Camrys have that annoying bottom load canister oil filter. Not a spin-on filter. I find them annoying for the DIYer, but wouldn't consider this a deal breaker at all. My mom has a 2016 and my brother had a 2005 until he traded it in a few months ago. Our closest Toyota dealer actually follows the 10000mi OCI recommendation.
How annoying is it for the DIYer? I'm about to push the buy on oil, filters and washers. Where did you buy the special socket? TIA
grin2.gif

I bought my socket from the dealer--was in there for something, they had a price not too far from what I could pay on Amazon, so done deal. Have to use a 24mm socket on it, but that also works for the drain plugs on Toyota diffs and transaxles.

I don't do the pre-drain thing. Just pull the whole thing off, pull filter out, change the one o-ring. Back up in place. I've toyed with Locktite on the drain part, so that I could just remove the filter with a 3/8 extension; but too lazy to do that.

The socket I have likes to stick in place, it's the older one. I couldn't find it one day, then remembered: I had changed the oil in one vehicle a month ago. Sure enough, it was right where I last used it. Grr...

Originally Posted By: Delta

eek.gif

Tires, battery, front brakes and other small maintenance items. None of which are free.

Locally, we have 2017 Camry and Accord "leftovers" for $22K. Not a bad price for a very reliable new car.

I would take a left over Camry over the Accord.

The Accord is ultra bland and boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back