Mother is looking for a new car, need advice.

Against everyone's will she grabbed a 2021 Equinox with the 1.5l turbo engine.

Probably paying an arm and a leg with interest.
Interesting twist. Well, just in case whatever safety issue is affecting the new ones is ever tracked back to previous model years, keep an eye on the current sketchy stop sale order they have out on the 2024 Equinoxes. Chevy is not releasing any details and it’s been almost a month. My local Chevy dealer has an entire lot blocked off with barrels and caution tape.

How often?

If you want to do it scientifically, get an oil test after the first oil change. Then read their recommendations and/or ask the folks here.

Or skip the oil test and if you're weird like me and would rather change a car's oil than vacuum the house or go grocery shopping on a nice day,

every 6 months or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first.

this is usually much more aggressive than what the oil life monitor will say. at 5,000 miles, the OLM probably will say 20%+ remaining.

I am in the "better safe than sorry" crowd. Others here will disagree.

Last edited:
How often?
Dave from Dave's Auto on YouTube says half of whatever the manufacturer says for any vehicle. Scotty Kilmer on YouTube says every 3K for turbo engines. 5K otherwise. 3 out of the 4 vehicles I own are direct injection and/or turbo and I change the oil every 3-4K. My daughter's HRV is the only port injection engine and I just got it, but I'll probably stick to 3-4K on that also since it will live most of its life making short trips.

Back