Lifetime engine warranty on new & used cars by local dealer

wdn

One of the local dealerships a chain actually and reputable been around >50 years, offers a free lifetime engine warranty on all new and used cars they sell. Used cars have to be
It looks a bit like the Valvoline oil engine warranty where nobody on this forum has ever been known to collect on. But more generous. The only caveat is you need to have records of regular maintenance performed, but need not be done by their service dept. Lifetime means for the natural life of the orginal purchaser as long as you still own the car: warranty is not transferable to another owner. However coverage is only for failure of internally lubricated engine component as well as other components that may be damaged as direct result of failure of a covered component. Parts and labor are fully covered. It is underwritten by a major insurance company not a fly by night extended warranty company. It is actual insurance not an extended service plan.

I bet they don’t pay out too often because no matter what oil or oil filter you use, failure of lubricated engine components is rare. Seems to me if you bought a car from them you would never have to come here and worry or argue about oil and filters though.

One of the local dealerships a chain actually and reputable been around >50 years, offers a free lifetime engine warranty on all new and used cars they sell. Used cars have to be
It looks a bit like the Valvoline oil engine warranty where nobody on this forum has ever been known to collect on. But more generous. The only caveat is you need to have records of regular maintenance performed, but need not be done by their service dept.

I bet they don’t pay out too often because no matter what oil or oil filter you use, failure of lubricated engine components is rare.
Unless, you have a person that wants to know why the Genie lamp came on their instrument cluster. They chose to continue driving until the engine froze. "I thought it was for good luck and I could have 3 wishes!" :rolleyes: :LOL:

Seriously, how many oil companies offer this warranty? I have seen a few oil companies offer it, but have never seen anyone make a claim.
Could said oil warranty be void if John Q. Public used 10W30 instead of spec'd 5W20?

I did mention that Valvoline advertises an engine warranty. I think Castrol has or used to have one. Not sure who else but I have never heard of anyone collect on an oil company’s warranty. Frankly the car dealer’s insurance policy seems far more legit and way fewer loopholes than the Valvoline one, and is backed by a real insurance company.

Can you post a copy of the policy or a link to it?

Last edited:
With the mention of it being 'actual insurance' I hope no one is paying a premium on this policy.
What does the policy protect? The laws of physics? If the owner/operator keeps the oil level near full, no
warrantied damage could possibly occur. Eventually a cooling leak will melt it or indifference sets in after another 100k..... ?

Tell you what I will quote it in a way that does not identify the dealership.

The Lifetime Engine Warranty covers engine components, and related labor. All internally lubricated parts contained within the engine block and cylinder head(s) including: piston, piston rings, wrist pings and bushings, connecting rods and rod bearings, crankshaft and main bearings, camshaft, cam chains, cam bearings and cam cover, timing chain, gears, tensioner and guide, variable valve, timing parts, rocker arms, shafts and bushings, rocker arm pivots, adjustments screws, spring and tension controller, valves, valve seats, valve springs, valve spring retainers, valve guides, valve push roads, hydraulic valve lifters, oil pump, oil pump drive, shaft and gears. Cylinder head, engine block and rotor housings when damaged as a result of the failure of a covered internally lubricated part. Seals and gaskets when required in connection with the repair or replacement of a covered part. Coolant, lubricants and oil filters when required in connection with the repair or replacement of a covered part.

Search "The Internet" for someone who has ever made a successful covered claim with "The Dealership" in question and get back to us.

I will be waiting......

Reactions: JC1
This is an example of a Hyundai dealer in Chicagoland that has the lifetime warranty.

A good friend of mine bought a new Hyundai there and at about 25,000 miles a weld on a bracket holding the turbo broke. The turbo is a lubricated part, so they replaced the entire turbo assembly at no extra cost. Now, it could have already been covered by the manufacturers warranty, I don't know for sure, but he was told the lifetime warranty covered the breakage.

From what I've been told, the dealer stands behind their warranty and it helps them sell a ton of cars.

Reactions: JC1
IMO if you are in the rust belt I’d rather have a lifetime body and frame warranty over any lifetime power train warranty. I’ve never owned a car that had an engine die before the frame or body was shot.

Just my $0.02

This is an example of a Hyundai dealer in Chicagoland that has the lifetime warranty.

A good friend of mine bought a new Hyundai there and at about 25,000 miles a weld on a bracket holding the turbo broke. The turbo is a lubricated part, so they replaced the entire turbo assembly at no extra cost. Now, it could have already been covered by the manufacturers warranty, I don't know for sure, but he was told the lifetime warranty covered the breakage.

From what I've been told, the dealer stands behind their warranty and it helps them sell a ton of cars.

Search "The Internet" for a case when this dealer covered a failure under their lifetime warranty and get back to us. It seems there are dealer's milking the factory warranty that Hyundai provides-FOR TEN YEARS OR 100,000 miles to their own "public relations" benefits. A Dealer lying to a customer-so unbelievable.............

Hyundai covered the warranty under the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. Customer service 101-say what ever makes (YOU) the Dealer look good-whether it's true or not.
You would need to explain to the rest of us why a dealer would cover a Failure when the factory does for the full cost.

See what I am saying.

Hyundai covered the warranty under the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. Customer service 101-say what ever makes (YOU) the Dealer look good-whether it's true or not.
You would need to explain to the rest of us why a dealer would cover a Failure when the factory does for the full cost.

See what I am saying.
Yeah, I absolutely see what you're saying. I don't know how this dealer performs after the factory warranty, but I haven't heard anything negative.

Just like these oldish car warrantee insurance companies that are being advertised everywhere now. Lemon Ice is one of the spokesmen. :) Simple concept. They take in more money in premiums than they pay out.

Just like these oldish car warrantee insurance companies that are being advertised everywhere now. Lemon Ice is one of the spokesmen. :) Simple concept. They take in more money in premiums than they pay out.
well that’s how insurance companies make money

My son has a 2012 Hyundai Sonata limited 2 ltr turbo. On the highway in New Jersey the engine quit at 107,000 miles. He had it towed to a Hyundai dealership. They gave him a free rental until diagnosis was complete. They pulled the oil pan, and valve covers. They were clean, and free of sludge. Hyundai had some know issues with their engines. They replaced the engine free of charge. I was amazed!

A local multi brand dealership here offers a lifetime warranty on the engine. It is genuine but you have to have the car serviced according to the owners manual at their facility to keep the warranty in effect.

I did mention that Valvoline advertises an engine warranty. I think Castrol has or used to have one. Not sure who else but I have never heard of anyone collect on an oil company’s warranty. Frankly the car dealer’s insurance policy seems far more legit and way fewer loopholes than the Valvoline one, and is backed by a real insurance company.
Probably next to impossible for one of us to prove a claim. One thing you must be careful about with car warranties is the fine print. Most will want your actual receipts for required maintenance you performed or had done. You got to be dedicated to keep all those receipts handy.

Back