Anybody use CarShield?

So I’ve heard hundreds of their commercials on SXM radio, and there’s a pretty good discount with code “Wilkow”.

My 2019 F150 would be $110/mo, same coverage as OEM bumper-to-bumper, in perpetuity. Only routine maintenance, shocks/struts/brake pads/wipers are not covered. Truck is now clear of all factory warranties outside of emissions.

My 2020 Transit Connect would be $89/mo, it’s outside of B2B warranty but still has powertrain & emissions coverage. This is also for OEM-level coverage.

My 2007 Subaru Impreza, with 186k, only qualifies for powertrain coverage but that includes axles. This one would be $89 as well.

To me, the truck and Subie make sense; the EcoBoost and 10R80 are not cheap to repair, and the Subie obviously is of the vintage that head gaskets are a risk. TC no worries since it’s the Mazda MZR engine and commercial duty.

Anybody have it? Use it? $100 deductible doesn’t sound bad if I were to need turbo or engine or trans work!

I was just looking into this myself, very interested to hear other people if they've had any experience with them. Sounds good to me as long as they honor the work and try not to get out of it like some companies do

For the F150, that's $1320 a year, and you might not ever need it? Not sure how that is a good deal.
But when your truck tosses a water pump or alternator, it pays for itself. Had one on my Sport Trac, when 1st gear lost a bearing, it paid for itself that day. It's a gamble that some people win, some people lose. Just like car insurance.

Do you think you'll be breaking enough covered parts on your cars after your warranty to justify the $1100+/year per car vs you just saving the money yourself?

I'm assuming they'll go for a refurb part instead of a new. If the engine in your impreza blows, do they even make any new EJ25 engines or are you okay going with a refurb of unknown quality?

Please don't be fooled or misled, the companies offering these services are making plenty of money off of this, otherwise it wouldn't exist. You are the JUDGE and JURY!!! Somebody told me that I hate insurance companies!!! Me, not me!!!

As mentioned above, Google Car Shield and see what comes up. A few things I noticed were it was ranked #4 out of car warranty companies with an 8.9/10 rating. The biggest pro was the affordable monthly payments. Looks like a company called Endeavor was ranked #1 with I think a 9.3/10 rating if I recall correctly. So not a total rip off it seems.

Somebody is making money on this, and it ain’t you.

Look, the actuarial cost (likelihood x repair cost) on this is half of what you’re paying in premiums. Roughly. Big margin. Big bucks when you consider the number of customers. That’s why they can afford to advertise nationally.

So, are you better off given them, let’s see - $110 + $89 + $89 = $288/month, or call it $3,500 a year in premiums, or paying for repairs yourself?

If you can’t do that math, or the prospect of a $3,000 repair scares you, you’re the perfect target/victim customer.

If you’ve got that cash flow, of $288/month or $3,500 year to spend on this, then do yourself a favor and SAVE THAT money in your own account. After three years, you won’t care about a big repair. And you will have been earning interest the whole time.

I know not everyone is in a position to afford a 3K or 4K repair and even if you are its still a shock, but insurance companies are in the business of making money even with huge advertising budgets and salaries and overhead. If you follow their winning strategy you are better off self insuring where you can. Most of us cannot afford to self insure our house or medical care or even our liability when the stakes are 100's k but car repairs are a place we can. Set aside 1k and add the $200/month in premiums every month. The first trouble free year your sitting on $3400 if you get a 2nd trouble free year $5800+ int. Then if you want pull your original 1k but keep making premium payments. By the time you really have a big repair you may have enough to just buy a new car.

So I’ve heard hundreds of their commercials on SXM radio, and there’s a pretty good discount with code “Wilkow”.

My 2019 F150 would be $110/mo, same coverage as OEM bumper-to-bumper, in perpetuity. Only routine maintenance, shocks/struts/brake pads/wipers are not covered. Truck is now clear of all factory warranties outside of emissions.

My 2020 Transit Connect would be $89/mo, it’s outside of B2B warranty but still has powertrain & emissions coverage. This is also for OEM-level coverage.

My 2007 Subaru Impreza, with 186k, only qualifies for powertrain coverage but that includes axles. This one would be $89 as well.

To me, the truck and Subie make sense; the EcoBoost and 10R80 are not cheap to repair, and the Subie obviously is of the vintage that head gaskets are a risk. TC no worries since it’s the Mazda MZR engine and commercial duty.

Anybody have it? Use it? $100 deductible doesn’t sound bad if I were to need turbo or engine or trans work!
Absolutely stay away. I'm surprised they haven't ben sued out of business. Actually there is now a Lawsuit against them for failing to repair items listed. Be careful. A lady was hosed after she found out that when the commercial says "we completely cover your vehicle." Supposedly her starter was "between " the engine and transmission so it "technically " was not covered in the repair.

Absolutely stay away. I'm surprised they haven't ben sued out of business. Actually there is now a Lawsuit against them for failing to repair items listed. Be careful. A lady was hosed after she found out that when the commercial says "we completely cover your vehicle." Supposedly her starter was "between " the engine and transmission so it "technically " was not covered in the repair.
It depends on which plan you have . Most of the Car Shield plans cover the starter . You gotta know what you are buying .

Back