Anybody know about "Xtended Auto" used car warranty?

I'm planning on buying a relatively unreliable used car that is in OK condition now but is notorious for developing leaks on a super annoying to replace engine oil related seals/gaskets.

The warranty seems to explicitly cover seals and gaskets on the engine. It's $500 with the purchase of the used car. 5 yr/100k miles.

Does anybody have experience with the "Xtended Auto" branded warranty?

The way this shop owner explains the aftermarket warranty really help the buyer think about if the warranty is really worth the cost.

@CharBaby , thanks for posting that video. The video was well worth watching, even for people with common knowledge of auto repair. Wish I had taken notes from the video to post a list of critical points made.

GON, You're welcome!
The shop owner did point out some critical points in the video and can be watched once again.

*What I've learned on my own from searching out aftermarket extended car warranty's is that each vehicle has a different cost premium, more or le$$, depending on what kind of vehicle is being covered.
*Most likely, even after you pay your premium(s) for the warranty, there is almost always more money out-of-pocket that will need to be paid to the shop.
*Be cautious of non-covered parts that may fail which in turn, causes a covered part to fail, therefore the repair to be DENIED.
*I have heard from others who have these aftermarket extended warranties, who they themselves CANNOT find a repair shop that wants to take on the repair or to deal with the warranty companies. And that also includes new car dealerships.

The commercials advertise:
*"NO money out of pocket"... Well, you just paid $4000 for the warranty!
*"Take your vehicle to the shop of your choice"...Yeah, good luck!

My advise is to pay yourself. Meaning, Whatever the cost of a warranty is, put that money away in a separate account, or just save extra money in the bank.

What labour rate does this company pay? Do they pay for ALL the parts needed or just the failed part? Do they pay for any fluids needed? Do you choose your repairer or do you have to use one of theirs?

Does the car you are looking at have a full documented service history to OEM specifications?

I'm planning on buying a relatively unreliable used car that is in OK condition now but is notorious for developing leaks on a super annoying to replace engine oil related seals/gaskets.

The warranty seems to explicitly cover seals and gaskets on the engine. It's $500 with the purchase of the used car. 5 yr/100k miles.

Does anybody have experience with the "Xtended Auto" branded warranty?
I'd stay very clear of something like this. Many of these aftermarket warranties have alot of loopholes in the coverage. Years ago I saw a post where some lady was out a ton of money because the " bumper to bumper " warranty wouldn't cover the cost and installation of the starter that went out.

I know enough about extended warranties, that if you don't buy one from the manufacturer of the vehicle and use it at the dealer... you're not going to like it. (Buying an extended warranty from GM for a GM vehicle and using it at a GM dealer).

I've had extended warranties from GM and Honda in the past, and they paid out for what they needed to, when they needed to. I won't even consider one that isn't from the manufacturer of the vehicle themselves.

Hard pass. Those warranties are made to put money in everyone's pocket but yours. I would not buy a vehicle that is known to have a history of oil leaks.

The warranty is only worth the paper it is printed on, and the ability of the purchaser to READ THE FINE PRINT and make an informed decision. My company, in the mid 1990s when I started there, had changed their fleet of reliable Chevy vans to Ford E-250s (vans) & several E-350 cutaway box trucks, all with the same 5.8 engine/E4OD drivetrain (E-350s were dually chassis). The company was somehow sold a 100K Ford extended warranty… That EXCLUDED COMMERCIAL USAGE of the vans! Then about 25 uncovered transmission rebuilds later… One of the E-350 box trucks had THREE transmission rebuilds in 150,000 miles! The person referred to in the vehicle above that bought a warranty that excluded the turbo on a turbocharged BMW made a VERY EXPENSIVE reading comprehension error-but it was still a lot less $ than we wasted!

Only know what I can google and it appears this is holding company , looks normal for aftermarket warranty:

Key thing Google: cornerstone United auto warranty:

I would not buy this kind of warranty for oil leaks. They do no effect operation of vehicle unless severe so hard to get a company to pay up.
People NEED to understand that BBB ratings are often BOUGHT & PAID FOR and cannot be trusted! Almost all of these aftermarket warranty operations are outright scams-either buy a more reliable (or G_d forbid, a new one with a warranty [not Ford]), or be prepared to fork over a LOT of cash for your aging luxury “dream ride”’s repairs! Like my brother does with his Infiniti I30 & Nissan Sentra Spec-V…

The best points made here so far are that aftermarket warranties are pretty much useless and the only warranty you should even consider is the OEM offered packages that the dealership services. I won't deal with them unless the customer fully understands that they will be paying the difference of my bill that the warranty won't cover as well as time I waste on the phone with them.

This is the problem right here, not any issue with an aftermarket warranty.
Unless OP has a special attachment for the car, you're better off putting that $500 into buying another car with a more reliable reputation.

YMMV.
Here is the best advice you are going to receive on this thread. Unless the vehicle was previously owned by a deceased, beloved relative and you are only buying it due to sentimental reasons.

The best points made here so far are that aftermarket warranties are pretty much useless and the only warranty you should even consider is the OEM offered packages that the dealership services. I won't deal with them unless the customer fully understands that they will be paying the difference of my bill that the warranty won't cover as well as time I waste on the phone with them.

The warranty Carmax offers has a good reputation as well.

I've recently learned this, and it gives a glimpse into why our medical bills are so high. Basically, if you work with insurance companies a lot you need a dedicated staff to handle THAT.

I've been unfortunate enough to deal with Endurance lately. Just a few observations on this policy:
1. they don't cover gaskets and seals (I understand OP already covered this)
2. they inexplicably keep you on the phone forever
3. if you're expecting a parts mark-up you better have wholesale accounts because they look up the parts from where ever you say you're getting them. Most big shops WILL have wholesale accounts, though
4. They'll have a cap on labor rate but just tell them a really high number so you get the maximum hourly they'll pay. You'll need it to try to offset the headache. Also lie about the tax rate if you can -- you need to claw back every penny you can!!
5. this policy periodically pays brake pads as "maintenance" but will NEVER pay rotors. ***?
6. they claim every sticky caliper is due to rust and will use that to weasel out of replacing calipers
7. like all insurance they'll do ANYTHING to avoid paying an extra literal cent. Everyone walks away feeling like they lost a pound of flesh
8. they'll play the fun game of denying a claim once or twice just because. Slimy Insurance Practices 101.

Again, every policy varies and I'm sure it's all laid out in the fine print. At the end of the day you'd be better to self-insure and just set aside $XX/mo

I've recently learned this, and it gives a glimpse into why our medical bills are so high. Basically, if you work with insurance companies a lot you need a dedicated staff to handle THAT.

I've been unfortunate enough to deal with Endurance lately. Just a few observations on this policy:
1. they don't cover gaskets and seals (I understand OP already covered this)
2. they inexplicably keep you on the phone forever
3. if you're expecting a parts mark-up you better have wholesale accounts because they look up the parts from where ever you say you're getting them. Most big shops WILL have wholesale accounts, though
4. They'll have a cap on labor rate but just tell them a really high number so you get the maximum hourly they'll pay. You'll need it to try to offset the headache. Also lie about the tax rate if you can -- you need to claw back every penny you can!!
5. this policy periodically pays brake pads as "maintenance" but will NEVER pay rotors. ***?
6. they claim every sticky caliper is due to rust and will use that to weasel out of replacing calipers
7. like all insurance they'll do ANYTHING to avoid paying an extra literal cent. Everyone walks away feeling like they lost a pound of flesh
8. they'll play the fun game of denying a claim once or twice just because. Slimy Insurance Practices 101.

Again, every policy varies and I'm sure it's all laid out in the fine print. At the end of the day you'd be better to self-insure and just set aside $XX/mo
Very well said!

Back