Is anyone using an tracking device for your wallet?

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
I have a Tile wallet tracker device which is the thickness or 2.5 credit cards. Fits great inside the rear pocket of my wallet but the battery is not replaceable and it's part of the Tile network which charges you a premium for location services which I am not paying. Works well for when I misplace my wallet around the house as I can turn on a loud alarm. The battery is also dying and the range has been reduced, so it's time for a new wallet tracker.

Is anyone using a wallet tracker?

The AirCard looks like the best candidate right now as it has a 2.5 year battery life and is part of the Apple Find My Network.

AirCard.jpg

Unfortunately 3rd party trackers using Apples Find My Network won't give you the ability for up-close by proximity detection where the app can point you to the exact location of the card. A general idea of where the wallet is and being able to ping an alert is just find though.

To achieve proximity location I would have to take an AirTag apart, grind down anything that is too high (if possible), and connect the components separately in a credit card sized enclosure / pouch. It would be a fun project but I'm fine paying $29 for partial capability.

AirTag Disassembled.jpg

Airtag. I still lost my wallet about 1000 miles from home, watched it migrate for a few months to a nearby apartment building where i knew i lost it, and it lived in a landfill for a few more months, then radio silence.

My coworker put tracking apps on his g/f's and his wife's phones to make sure the two ladies would not run into each other when he was with either of them. He knew what he did was illegal, unethical, and just plain sad. I'm not surprised he has stomach problems and suffers from self-inflicted stress. He bought a house for his girlfriend and lives part-time with her. He commutes every day between his two homes. It's quite a drive. I'm having a hard time not looking forward to the inevitable disaster. :oops:

Last edited:
My coworker put tracking apps on his g/f's and his wife's phones to make sure the two ladies would not run into each other when he was with either of them. He knew what he did was illegal, unethical, and just plain sad. I'm not surprised he has stomach problems and suffers from self-inflicted stress.
Wow, that is insane, no wallet tracker will protect him when the wife takes him to the cleaners!

No waste of money for me as in 47 years I have never lost one. Misplaced my keys for a few hours here and there but never even thought about putting anything to track it. Sorry don't see any benefit to it.

I look forward to the day where all states allow electronic drivers license. Other than that I dont see a need for wallets anymore.
I swear. I really cant remember the last time I used cash for anything, I carry it in my wallet and it just sits there. There is one other thing I just thought of, hopefully that changes soon cause it's a pain in the neck. Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes(?) do not accept Apple Pay so you need a physical credit card.

Its just a matter of time.
Ps. I do have an Apple Air Tag on my cars keys! No more fear of where I put them down.

I look forward to the day where all states allow electronic drivers license. Other than that I dont see a need for wallets anymore.
I swear. I really cant remember the last time I used cash for anything, I carry it in my wallet and it just sits there. There is one other thing I just thought of, hopefully that changes soon cause it's a pain in the neck. Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes(?) do not accept Apple Pay so you need a physical credit card.

Its just a matter of time.
Ps. I do have an Apple Air Tag on my cars keys! No more fear of where I put them down.
Once society becomes comfortable with facial recognition, I think that will be used for payments and many other functions. This could be a decade away or more though but the younger generations are already used to weird face filters and unlocking phones via FR.

I only use cash when I go to the barber otherwise the Apple wallet on my phone is pretty handy.

I only use AirTags for luggage … however, I have gifted the carbon clip wallets with AirTags … I wear fishing shirts and cargo pants to travel - and keep vital things in front pockets only …
I don’t get those who keep credit cards and cash attached to an iPhone - I don’t want to loose all of them at once …

Once society becomes comfortable with facial recognition, I think that will be used for payments and many other functions. This could be a decade away or more though but the younger generations are already used to weird face filters and unlocking phones via FR.

I only use cash when I go to the barber otherwise the Apple wallet on my phone is pretty handy.
Boarded my UA flight to Frankfurt from that …

Yes, I like to tip in cash and sometimes pay for my haircut that way, I used to all the time, now if anything it's only my haircut.

Anytime I use cash it cost me 2% to 5% more to use because I get cash back on anything I use my card for and it adds up. Still, if I have small enough bills, I will tip and pay the main part of the bill in a restaurant with the card, then mark cash under the tip on the receipt and leave the cash.. This gives the person serving us the opportunity to keep it for themselves, share it and also not report it.

Dont think I will ever be comfortable letting them use my face.

PS! Sometimes in a rush I leave my phone in the car by mistake and use my Apple Watch to pay! *LOL*

He's the guy who once used me to be his alibi when he was spending time with his g/f. I put an end to that.

My dad was once asked by a friend to pretend to be a thug on a squatter eviction mission. Dad hesitated and asked me and mom. I told him if his friend need a thug he should hire one instead of asking a friend to pretend to be one. My dad listened and they are no longer friends.

"air tag" only works if you have the way to get back what is taken from you. With today's prosecution culture it is not going to be practical (too expensive to prosecute or too politically incorrect to do so). I just separate my cards so my wallet has "burner cards" and if it is stolen or lost I can get a replacement everything for cheap and cancel my cards.

Real theft these days happen online, and won't be picking pocket for $20 cash.

"air tag" only works if you have the way to get back what is taken from you. With today's prosecution culture it is not going to be practical (too expensive to prosecute or too politically incorrect to do so). I just separate my cards so my wallet has "burner cards" and if it is stolen or lost I can get a replacement everything for cheap and cancel my cards.

Real theft these days happen online, and won't be picking pocket for $20 cash.
Yeah, that’s why I just use for luggage - I have gone to the hotel late night instead of waiting inline for a bag left behind …
I also knew it got there the next day before they even called …

Back