Is Valvoline Nextgen coming back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have NG from a NAPA sale. 1.00 a quart. Nothing wrong with NG, whats wrong is the market base. As stated, folks think it's junk because it's recycled. NG, and GOil, the green category, failed because of mass opinion, not fact. GOil helped themselves along nicely by giving the stuff away forever.

Did it ever really go away?
I was at a tire store in Cincinnati in December and they were offering Nextgen Maxlife as their syn blend oil change. For $35.00 LOL!
Could this oil still be available in bulk, totes or drums?

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
It doesn't need to come back. Crude oil prices have been low enough for a while that slick marketing of used oil isn't as lucrative as before.

'used' oil? NextGen is about as 'used' as that recycled aluminum can you're drinking your Schlitz out of.

Not to insult your intelligence but this post is referring to the price difference between new oil drilled from the ground and recycled used oil. When crude prices are high recycled oil looks a lot more attractive because it is cheaper. With crude so cheap recycling oil isn't worth the hassle.

Last edited:
We used to have a small re-refiner in Redwood City that I hauled Ad Paks into back in the 1970's. They made some spectacular oils be recycling. Most of their oil was snapped up by the Navy and Nasa for Aimes Research planes.

I had a 25 gal drum of motor oil from them for my Pete. Once it was gone, could not get more. They're gone now due to air quality issues and the price of land in the SF Bay Area.

But I'd never have an issue with well made re-refined oils
smile.gif

If they offered 5W-40 or 0W-40 NextGen, I would buy it. A NextGen Diesel oil might sell better.

I do not understand why some people are so stupid. The oil coming out of your engine is cleaner than the crude oil coming out of the ground. Both go through the refining process.

Last edited:
I'm not a diehard greenie and I know I will get blasted on the cost issues and the same nonsense that goes on here about hybrids etc. I also understand the cost factor but I would like all oil to be recycled back into motor oil.
Others have tried and failed and the process needs massive streamlining as the average Joe ain't interested in premium priced recycled oil 50% higher than virgin oil let alone even the same price.

I see bunches of it on the shelves- I need to check the mfg date next time.

I wish they'd bring it back - it's very good oil, and all the UOA's I've done on it have been great. IMHO, a quality recycled oil like NextGen will always be as good as, if not better, than oil made from virgin crude.

The trick is, they have to have good marketing so people understand what's in the bottle. Heck, if Mobil can successfully market 'Annual Protection' oil, then Valvoline should be able to run a successful marketing campaign for something like NextGen.

For what it's worth, I bought up as much NextGen as I could a couple years back when PepBoys, etc.. were clearing it out. I think I must have bought something like 20 quarts, mixed between their conventional, MaxLife, and synthetic variants.. and I think I still have 6 quarts left. My Fusion seems to run well on it, and I wish I had more.

And every ounce is a semi synthetic right???

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
We used to have a small re-refiner in Redwood City that I hauled Ad Paks into back in the 1970's. They made some spectacular oils be recycling. Most of their oil was snapped up by the Navy and Nasa for Aimes Research planes.

I had a 25 gal drum of motor oil from them for my Pete. Once it was gone, could not get more. They're gone now due to air quality issues and the price of land in the SF Bay Area.

But I'd never have an issue with well made re-refined oils
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Didn't Nextgen also have a good dose of moly in it?

Not according to either PQIA test.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Amazing how the public doesn't want to educate themselves. Too lazy and easier to be ignorant.

Crude oil prices have been low enough for a while that slick marketing of used oil isn't as lucrative as before.

Originally Posted By: Rat407

Amazing how the public doesn't want to educate themselves. To lazy and easier to be ignorant.

Bingo, education is everything.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
It doesn't need to come back. Crude oil prices have been low enough for a while that slick marketing of used oil isn't as lucrative as before.

'used' oil? NextGen is about as 'used' as that recycled aluminum can you're drinking your Schlitz out of.

Schlitz, LoL. Besides, I only drink bottled beer
11.gif

Originally Posted By: 03s
Found some at Amazon $47.00 for case of 6 quarts or $16.97 for a 5 quart jug of regular Maxlife.

https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-768156-NextGen-MaxLife-Mileage/dp/B0051RTR1K

Geez Louise. Is their new marketing campaign to sell it as a boutique oil to greenies in Priuses? $47 for 6? Have they been smoking what the M1AP folks have been smoking?

Can buy 10 quarts of M1EP for nearly the same.

Originally Posted By: mooferz
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Didn't Nextgen also have a good dose of moly in it?

Not according to either PQIA test.

Depends upon the Nextgen we're looking at.
Nextgen Maxlife did have a nice dose of moly.
You can see this in the UOA of this oil from my BMW that I posted in August 2012 that I'm too lazy to find and link to but that you can search for if you'd like. This was also the cleanest UOA in terms of wear metals that I've ever seen for any BMW over any number of miles.
The basic VWB equivalent had the same moly content as VWB, IOW nada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back