Valvoline Restore & Protect 5w-30 (Gonna Take a Chance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is a little disingenuous to call Valvoline "run of the mill." UOA's show a very solid oil that performs above average.
That isn't possible to determine from random spectrographic analysis. As much as people want to use this tool as a means to determine relative oil quality it's not the right one, especially when used as you're describing.

I think it is a little disingenuous to call Valvoline "run of the mill." UOA's show a very solid oil that performs above average.

Any full synthetic will be “above average” because the majority of the market is still synthetic blends.

Compared to other full synthetics, it’s really splitting hairs when you’re comparing group III based products to each other. Especially mass market made, ones.

Any full synthetic will be “above average” because the majority of the market is still synthetic blends.

Compared to other full synthetics, it’s really splitting hairs when you’re comparing group III based products to each other. Especially mass market made, ones.
What are some of the products that can provide better anti-wear properties for regular vehicles, when compared to the mass-market products?

I’d really like to know if Valvoline is using a substantially “better” gp IV/V base oil composition for the Restore & Protect. They claim it’s their new highest performing oil, and they seem to be positioning against boutique oils in their marketing.

Maybe the answer is buried somewhere in the two giant threads but they’re getting cluttered and I’m curious if we’ll ever get more info. Even just getting exact CCS and pour points would be nice…

I’d really like to know if Valvoline is using a substantially “better” go IV/V base oil composition for the Restore & Protect. They claim it’s their new highest performing oil, and they seem to be positioning against boutique oils in their marketing.

Maybe the answer is buried somewhere in the two giant threads but they’re getting cluttered and I’m curious if we’ll ever get more info. Even just getting exact CCS and pour points would be nice…
Doubt at the price point - VME started higher yet had the landing gear down pretty darn fast …

What are some of the products that can provide better anti-wear properties for regular vehicles, when compared to the mass-market products?
Not necessarily better anti wear, but better cold flow, cleaning, and breakdown resistance certainly. These can translate to better wear in the right circumstances.

The chances of you having a wear failure from any oil (synthetic blend, group 3, PAO/Ester/AN based) is extremely low. Outside of hard race conditions. If you’re doing racing, then look into a proper oil for your engine build.

The main this to me, is the oils ability to maintain viscosity and film thickness at operational temperatures and beyond. What’s the viscosity at 350-400f? That you’ll see on the piston skirts, turbo, etc. which is where products like redline / hpl / etc. excel in the long term. As they can take the heat and keep on trucking.

A synthetic blend can too. But, you just have to change your oil more often.

So what’s your OCI? What’s your driving conditions? How often do you like to crawl under the car and do it? Or have it done for you?

It’s more of a personal question at this level. Because honestly, it’s doubtful you’ll see an oil based failure if you’re doing basic oil drain intervals.

Mechanical failures, or cars simply falling apart (rust, electronic gremlins) will probably happen first.

There some point to that ?

Just posting a video of what you mentioned. Taxi testing. Meaning all the majors do it. Or have done it.

Also, proving my point of what’s to “restore” if you’re using a decent oil? And every oil, should protect.

Just posting a video of what you mentioned. Taxi testing. Meaning all the majors do it. Or have done it.

Also, proving my point of what’s to “restore” if you’re using a decent oil? And every oil, should protect.
Sure - It was in response to an insinuation that they only bench test - they actually lab, bench, PoP, and race test as others do …

As for what you proved - you already noted that some quick change places will dump any garbage in for $24.95 …
Very likely to go in a cheaper car as well … Average age on the road a dozen years … Considering cleaning seems to be a frenzy here …
This place is not a great example of paycheck to paycheck …

As for what you proved - you already noted that some quick change places will dump any garbage in for $24.95 …
Very likely to go in a cheaper car as well … Average age on the road a dozen years … Considering cleaning seems to be a frenzy here …
This place is not a great example of paycheck to paycheck …

This product would probably not be appealing to those who penny pinch oil changes at the cheapest place possible. Let alone not being curious about what they’re getting.

As for a used vehicle and buying one… assume the worse. Use an oil system cleaner.

That’s my .02. But again, I don’t get too wrapped up in PCEO. I consider all syn blend licensed products, all group 3 licensed products, generally the same. You can start seeing differences at the HPL/redline level, or other PAO/ester/AN blended products. Like some of the German space majic brands.

Exactly. So my reply to Vitamin Yoda stands. It is disingenuous to call Valvoline a "run of the mill" oil when it, like many others, is above average.

That isn't possible to determine from random spectrographic analysis. As much as people want to use this tool as a means to determine relative oil quality it's not the right one, especially when used as you're describing.
Okay. I think it is a little disingenuous to call Valvoline "run of the mill."

Okay. I think it is a little disingenuous to call Valvoline "run of the mill."

It is.

It’s another group 3 synthetic with marketing thrown on top of it. It’s nothing special in its class, nor is it anything special in the over all market place, assuming you’re comparing it to other full synthetics.

You mean like this one Kendall did? With… a synthetic blend?

Maybe in a 2011 Ford 4.6L the Kendall GT1 syn blend worked better than dino. In a '21 Hyundai Tucson with 2.0L GDI, short tripped 2 miles each way daily, it was shot at just over 5k miles. Others might do the same in that scenario.

Maybe in a 2011 Ford 4.6L the Kendall GT1 syn blend worked better than dino. In a '21 Hyundai Tucson with 2.0L GDI, short tripped 2 miles each way daily, it was shot at just over 5k miles. Others might do the same in that scenario.

I’m not sure what you’re saying. Better than Dino?

2 mile trips will kill any oil as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back