is there a oversized filter for a 2014 civic 1.8l?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't find any on any searches. Would love a oversized if there's one that's identicle just larger and completely safe. If anyone knows please post.

Just be advised that using any filter other than the recommended one by the filter mfg, will void the filter warranty. So if the filter fails for some unknown reason and kills the engine, you could potentially be on your own.

To me, that is not worth the risk for a benefit that is impossible to measure.

Your civic takes a 7317 style filter, so a 3593a type would be your next step.

Yea I hear ya I know risky with new car but I've always used with good luck in past but really appretiate the response
smile.gif

Does the 3593 have same specs besides being bigger?

Last edited:
doesn't the civic recommend change the filter every other interval?

So if you change every oil change, in some sense it's already "2x" oversized before it's clogged.

By throwing in "completely safe" you've got a conflict of goals. To be completely safe you'd follow the mfg recommendation and just change 2x as frequently if you have an itch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic

The 7317 sized filter is plenty large enough. It's used on engines almost 3 times the size of the 1.8L Honda.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

So if you change every oil change, in some sense it's already "2x" oversized before it's clogged.

By throwing in "completely safe" you've got a conflict of goals. To be completely safe you'd follow the mfg recommendation and just change 2x as frequently if you have an itch.

I don't think so I think it's every oil change.

For warranty reasons, I would not try that. I do not see much benefit to it anyway.

Originally Posted By: ccapital83
Originally Posted By: raytseng

I don't think so I think it's every oil change.

My sons '09 Civic says to change the oil filter every other oil change, same as my '06 S2000.

ROD

I'll double check manual pretty sure my 14 says every change anyway I was just asking if there was a extended filter I really appretiate everyone chiming in but I cannot be swayed I love extended filters always have never had issues and plenty of others use them to but I get why you all say don't on a new car and it's nice to see people looking out for you but I just wanted to know if there was a number filter found that's all.

There really isn't much room to fit an oversized filter on the R18 engine as it is mounted vertically in a recessed corner of the oil pan. I don't think the 3593a style will fit, as it is too wide at the base. You might could find a longer filter but I wouldn't get one that would hang lower than the bottom of the oil pan. Oem size filters will provide more than enough filtering capability.

Last edited:
As one that has a 2014 Accord, the Fram Ultra 7317 size will only fit in the allowed spot due to the way the oil pan is laid out. I will change it every oil change regardless of the filter interval per Fram. At the dealership I worked at we changed it every time eventhough we we're a Honda dealership.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: The Critic

The 7317 sized filter is plenty large enough. It's used on engines almost 3 times the size of the 1.8L Honda.

I agree that the 7317 is plenty for a long OCI for a 1.8 Civic. It is what is on my Nissan Armada with a 32 valve 5.6 liter V8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back