Toyota 1NZ-FE oil filter oversize application

I wouldn't recommend running that oil filter in particular due to the nature of the 14 PSID By-Pass Valve Toyota is calling for. The XG3600 opens at 8PSI and first start of the engine oil pressure is always going to be higher. If I would recommend an oil filter I'd have recommend to go with Purolator PL14477 or PBL14477. You can either cross reference these part numbers to go with the brand of your choosing.

However you'll get some extra length from this oil filter enhancing your filtration performance and a little extra oil capacity.

Stock filter should be about 3 inches in imperial height, the longer filter is about 3-1/2 inches. Some are near 3-3.75" in length.

I wouldn't recommend running that oil filter in particular due to the nature of the 14 PSID By-Pass Valve Toyota is calling for. The XG3600 opens at 8PSI and first start of the engine oil pressure is always going to be higher. If I would recommend an oil filter I'd have recommend to go with Purolator PL14477 or PBL14477. You can either cross reference these part numbers to go with the brand of your choosing.

However you'll get some extra length from this oil filter enhancing your filtration performance and a little extra oil capacity.

Stock filter should be about 3 inches in imperial height, the longer filter is about 3-1/2 inches. Some are near 3-3.75" in length.
I'm gonna take it you posted a reaction reply and didn't fully read the first post in the thread. Not sure where you are getting the 8 PSI figure from as I fully did my homework prior to using a larger filter as mentioned in the first post. So lets revisit this again.

xg4967 spec.jpg

FRAM 4967 is the direct aftermarket cross reference for the YZZN1 which has a 12 PSI bypass setting.

xg3600 spec.jpg

FRAM 3600 also has the same bypass rating at 12 PSI.

xg3614 spec.jpg

As a bonus, the FRAM 3614 which is the aftermarket cross reference for the YZZD3 and YZZD1 is also spec at 12 PSI

Since you're likely talking about the YZZF1 which is the former taller filter that was superseded by the smaller YZZN1 which cross reference to the FRAM 4386 that has a 14 PSI bypass rating. That filter is becoming rare as it has been consolidated to the FRAM 4967 just as Toyota spec the newer YZZN1 as a replacement for the YZZF1 and YZZF2. If you go to the parts department at a Toyota dealership asking for a YZZF1 they'll give you a YZZN1 unless they have some old stock to spare.

xg4386 spec.jpg

As for Purolator filters I already have a Boss PBL20195 sample to play with as recommended by @fantastic and that filter is bypass rating is ranged at 12-16 PSI. I'm not concerned at all about any of these filters going into bypass as the increased physical size and filtering media would reduce that chance of happening in some reduction of differential pressure compared to a smaller filter.

I wouldn't recommend running that oil filter in particular due to the nature of the 14 PSID By-Pass Valve Toyota is calling for. The XG3600 opens at 8PSI and first start of the engine oil pressure is always going to be higher.
Where does Toyota specifically "spec" a 14 PSI bypass valve?

Fram's website shows that the XG3600 has a 12 PSI bypass valve.

The filter bypass valve is set based on the filter's flow performance and holding capacity, and of course expected max pump flow and expected loading over an OCI. A filter that flows better and has better holding capacity doesn't need a bypass valve set as high. You can look at 10 different brand oil filter brands specified for the same engine, and there will be a range of bypass valve settings ... they all will not be the same, nor the same as the OEM filter for that same engine.

What oil filter does Fram specify for the OP's engine? And what's the bypass setting on that filter?

Last edited:
@fantastic

Continuing on, Purolator Boss PBL20195 which cross reference to the FRAM 3600 is very nice, slightly more heavy than the FS3600 on the hand and good black glitter gloss finish. Louvers are wide open, however the the only thing I find concerning slightly is the base plate appears to be biting into the silicone ADBV, not sure how deep its digging in, specially for a 16 dollar filter. One thing I do like is how thick the gasket is. Its not silicone or nitrile rubber and feels hard to press on with finger nails so it has a higher durometer rating. Mileage rating on the box says 15,000 miles a bit conflicting to the websites 20,000 mile claim. There is no micron rating on the packaging.

20231105_180935.jpg20231105_180846.jpg20231105_180751.jpg20231105_180816.jpg20231105_180531.jpg
A size comparison on the last image comparing it OEM and others. STP XL is about the same height as the OEM at 4 inches, Fram FD3600 which is identical to an AC Delco PFL400A is 4.5 inches, and the Purolator Boss is around 4.75 inches and the Titanium at 5 inches tall.

Oil filter cap wrenches sizes for the filters are

73mm x 14 flutes on the YZZD3 and S3600XL
75-77mm x 15 flutes on the FD3600
76mm x 14 flutes on the PBL20195
74-76mm x 15 flutes on the FS3600

To continue on. I just recalled from memory the PH/XG3600 being an 8PSI filter from the hayday. That Fram 3600 filter commonly used on Ford applications, I meant no emotion whatsoever and I was going on based on fact I wasn't updated. You can possibly use the Motorcraft FL400S if you chose to get crazy. I can recall Baldwin/Hastings B243 being rated as an 8PSI filter as well. That's how I remember it being, I was unaware about the recent enhancements made to these filters so I apologize if I came off brash.

So if I stand correct, you might want to look at the temperament of your post before throwing the gavel my way. Tsk tsk

@fantastic

Continuing on, Purolator Boss PBL20195 which cross reference to the FRAM 3600 is very nice, slightly more heavy than the FS3600 on the hand and good black glitter gloss finish. Louvers are wide open, however the the only thing I find concerning slightly is the base plate appears to be biting into the silicone ADBV, not sure how deep its digging in, specially for a 16 dollar filter. One thing I do like is how thick the gasket is. Its not silicone or nitrile rubber and feels hard to press on with finger nails so it has a higher durometer rating. Mileage rating on the box says 15,000 miles a bit conflicting to the websites 20,000 mile claim. There is no micron rating on the packaging.
Good work! It appears this Boss is made in March 2021 & would be old stock that claimed the 15,000 mile rating rather than the latest 20,000 mile rating. I remember an instance here that mentioned about the ADBV tearing but don't know if it was a batch issue or how widespread it may be. The base plate is pressed against the ADBV to create a good seal but if the sharp edges of the spin on center could tear them. If you carefully stick your finger in the hole to feel around & it feels like it's not cut through or anything then it should be fine. If you can swap out for the 20k version i'd go that direction just double check if you see anything out of the ordinary at the ADBV.

Honest but abysmal.
It isn't if you're running 20,000 miles & want to make sure your oil stays filtered throughout the interval.

If you're not able to compare to other companies oil filters then how is it abysmal for filtering oil for 20,000 miles? It's hard to find what is "Good Filtering Efficiencies" if you don't know what the others are.

Last edited:
It isn't if you're running 20,000 miles & want to make sure your oil stays filtered throughout the interval.

If you're not able to compare to other companies oil filters then how is it abysmal for filtering oil for 20,000 miles? It's hard to find what is "Good Filtering Efficiencies" if you don't know what the others are.
That is the definition of abysmal. Worse than the often criticized Toyota OEM filters from the Amsoil study, right?

You can get a 20,000 mile guarantee from Fram with excellent filtering efficiency. Sometimes I wonder if people are so invested in anti-Fram that they just throw reason out the window. Yes this is abysmal efficiency.

That is the definition of abysmal. Worse than the often criticized Toyota OEM filters from the Amsoil study, right?

You can get a 20,000 mile guarantee from Fram with excellent filtering efficiency. Sometimes I wonder if people are so invested in anti-Fram that they just throw reason out the window. Yes this is abysmal efficiency.
That Toyota filter was a 20,000 mile rated filter in that study? You're comparing efficiencies of an OEM ODI oil filter to a 20,000 Extended mile oil filter? You will not be able to show us the individual "Spec Sheet" for the Fram Ultra equivalent of this filter that shows its efficiencies until then I'm being reasonable. I'm far from anti-Fram so save yourself. Also, Toyota's are known to last a long time so how is that "Abysmal" Amsoil Toyota filter test working again?

Last edited:
That Toyota filter was a 20,000 mile rated filter in that study? You're comparing an OEM ODI filter to a 20,000 mile filter efficiency? You will not be able to show us the individual "Spec Sheet" for the Fram Ultra equivalent of this filter that shows its efficiencies until then I'm being reasonable. I'm far from anti-Fram so save yourself. Also, Toyota's are known to last a long time so how is that "Abysmal" Amsoil Toyota filter test working again?
It doesn’t really really matter in terms of efficiency. Poor efficiency is poor efficiency. Regardless of how long it’s poor. I could put two Denso on for the same price as the Boss and get the same result.

You’ve got some kind of weird bug going on here and I’m not really sure what it is. No matter how you slice it the efficiency of the Boss filter is bad. So what if you go 20,000 miles with bad efficiency?

It doesn’t really really matter in terms of efficiency. Poor efficiency is poor efficiency. Regardless of how long it’s poor. I could put two Denso on for the same price as the Boss and get the same result.

You’ve got some kind of weird bug going on here and I’m not really sure what it is. No matter how you slice it the efficiency of the Boss filter is bad. So what if you go 20,000 miles with bad efficiency
Weird bug? Real genius of you there bud :LOL:. I'm here to show what the spec sheets show to the OP what the efficiencies are on the filter they bought in this thread, & ask questions. I'm obviously not in agreement with your stance that a 20,000 mile filter that is rated for 99% @ 46 microns is "Bad", "Abysmal", or "Poor". But that doesn't equate to me having a "Weird Bug"? Obviously your "Poor" & "abysmal" comments don't play out in poor or abysmal performance as we see in your Toyota reference since they are the longest running vehicles on the road.

Weird bug? Real genius of you there bud :LOL:. I'm here to show what the spec sheets show & ask questions. I'm obviously not in agreement with your stance that a 20,000 mile filter that is rated for 99% @ 46 microns is "Bad" or "Poor". But that doesn't equate to me having "Weird Bug"? Obviously your "Poor" & "abysmal" comments don't play out in poor or abysmal performance as we see in your Toyota reference since they are the longest running vehicles on the road.
What would be “poor” or “abysmal” in your estimation then bud?

What would be “poor” or “abysmal” in your estimation then bud?
Why do I need to show you what "Poor" or "abysmal efficiency is? You're the one claiming it is so why not stop there? I'm not the one claiming the Fram Ultra equivalent has "Excellent Filtering Efficiency" w/o proof. As they say post up the spec sheet on the equivalent Fram filter. And to be fair here I have more than a "Weird Bug" I have factual evidence of this filter's efficiencies. Show us all what "Excellent efficiency" looks like with this equivalent Fram filter you speak about...I think that's reasonable.

Last edited:
Why do I need to show you what "Poor" or "abysmal efficiency is? You're the one claiming it is so why not stop there? I'm not the one claiming the Fram Ultra equivalent has "Excellent Filtering Efficiency" w/o proof. As they say post up the spec sheet on the equivalent Fram filter. And to be fair here I have more than a "Weird Bug" I have factual evidence of this filter's efficiencies. Show us all what "Excellent efficiency" looks like with this equivalent Fram filter you speak about...I think that's reasonable.
Yeah.

Back