Any Consensus on Fram Oil Filters Here?

Every time I've used one the orange really clashes with the dark blue-green paint on my car. Given you can't normally see the oil filter, it still bothers me knowing some bird or squirrel might be judging me.

OEM filters often aren't much more expensive than a cheap filter. Why not just buy OEM?
Because many OEM filters have "just good enough" filtration designed to get you through a warranty period.

So the question is, why would you spend more money for a worse product?

Lots of people on YouTube are just parrots repeating something they've heard, and have no real understanding of oil filters. 😄
Yeah its not just there but almost anywhere at other forums & discord that mentions Fram in an automotive related discussion.
Everyone seems to hate without having running one on their cars.

Yeah its not just there but almost anywhere at other forums & discord that mentions Fram in an automotive related discussion.
Everyone seems to hate without having running one on their cars.
Not to mention not even seeing all the cut and post threads here and the lack of evidence that non-metal end caps are actually causing any problems. Not saying Fram may have has some issues decades ago, but once a bad reputation is formed it's hard for it to ever change even if reality shows there isn't anything wrong now. Typical human behavior.

Because many OEM filters have "just good enough" filtration designed to get you through a warranty period.

So the question is, why would you spend more money for a worse product?
I'll continue driving my cars well into the 200k marks with cheap filters. Or OEM. Still trying to figure out what all y'all put into your engines you need to filter. I put oil in mine. Along with some combustion crud that probably mostly gets drained during an oil change. I guess my wife filters our drinking water that tests amazingly well. She must have BITOG OCD, too.

Still trying to figure out what all y'all put into your engines you need to filter. I put oil in mine. Along with some combustion crud that probably mostly gets drained during an oil change.
Have you ever seen an ISO particle count? Sounds like you think oil doesn't need to be filtered. Where do you think those particles go and do when an engine is running. They just don't hang out in the sump, lol.

Have you ever seen an ISO particle count? Sounds like you think oil doesn't need to be filtered. Where do you think those particles go and do when an engine is running. They just don't hang out in the sump, lol.
I haven't, no. I've just run multiple cars over 200k miles with no engine issues. By, I'm guessing, running cheap OE equivalent (or better?) or OEM filters. I highly doubt running Toyota filters is the same as running oil unfiltered. You're projecting a hyperbolic assumption about me thinking "...oil doesn't need to be filtered" because I said cheap, or OEM, will be just fine. If you're running extended drain intervals or something, probably not a bad idea to buy the $15+ filter. If you're following the manual or maintenance minder I highly doubt you're going to significantly increase the longevity of an otherwise taken care of engine by using a $15+ filter instead of an OE equivalent or OEM filter.

I haven't, no. I've just run multiple cars over 200k miles with no engine issues. By, I'm guessing, running cheap OE equivalent (or better?) or OEM filters. I highly doubt running Toyota filters is the same as running oil unfiltered. You're projecting a hyperbolic assumption about me thinking "...oil doesn't need to be filtered" because I said cheap, or OEM, will be just fine. If you're running extended drain intervals or something, probably not a bad idea to buy the $15+ filter. If you're following the manual or maintenance minder I highly doubt you're going to significantly increase the longevity of an otherwise taken care of engine by using a $15+ filter instead of an OE equivalent or OEM filter.
Making a statement like "Still trying to figure out what all y'all put into your engines you need to filter." is somewhat hyperbolic too, and it does make it sound you don't think there is anything harmful enough in the oil to filter out. As mentioned in most of these discussions, better filtration isn't about preventing an engine from failing or blowing-up. It's about doing something that ensures the engine wear rate stay as low as possible - that along of course with good oil, decent OCIs and a good air filter. The oil filter may not be the most important factor, but it can certainly be a factor ... especially when longer OCIs are done. If the oil was dumbed every 600-1000 miles, might not even need an oil filter once the engine is fully broken in.

It seems some people believe oil filtration doesn't matter much because engines still make it to 200K+ miles, but that doesn't mean they could be in better mechanical shape due to less wear, or run and perform better at that high mileage if the total wear on the engine was reduced. Then there are those who will say that the car will get totaled or rust out before 200K+ miles, which may be true, but those aren't factors in my thought process, so I don't let those excuses factor into not taking the best care possible. I don't really care what others do, but just pointing out that oil cleanliness isn't as insignificant as some may think.

Last edited:
I'll continue driving my cars well into the 200k marks with cheap filters. Or OEM. Still trying to figure out what all y'all put into your engines you need to filter. I put oil in mine. Along with some combustion crud that probably mostly gets drained during an oil change. I guess my wife filters our drinking water that tests amazingly well. She must have BITOG OCD, too.
But you missed the point.
Will OEM filters let the engine last to 300,000 miles, sure.
Will a filter that cost $2 less than OEM let the engine last 300,000 miles, sure.

But over those 300,000 miles, that $2 per filter adds up.
Is the engine better with one filter or another, no idea, only a complete teardown would let you know (and even then there are too many variables to really compare).

You asked why not buy OEM, and I gave a valid reason. You don't have to like or even understand it.

Not sure what drinking water has to do with oil filters.

Wait, are we talking about filters cheaper than OEM filters or more expensive than OEM filters?
You seem to be jumping between both in your posts.

I am in the camp that you really gain nothing using a more expensive "high end" filter vs OEM filter (or other inexpensive aftermarket options) if doing basic oil change intervals.
Many do it just to feel better, and think more expensive is better.
Are there benefits, maybe, but none that I think most will notice long term.

I’ve ran fram for years on and off only times I haven’t was just personal preference or for warranty purposes I would stick with oe. Even the extra guards are capable of manufactures that call for a 10k oci.

There is nothing wrong with the fiber end caps. Fram filters work fine, definitely better than a Purolator. The standard orange can is not a long life filter is all.
What's the definition of "long life filter" these days? The Fram EG is actually rated for 10K miles. Most people change oil & filter more often than that.

^^^ Another YouTuber that doesn't know much about oil filters, and zombie viewers lap up his "expert" review. 😂

"No relief valve in these things" ... dude doesn't realize it's specified for an engine with a built-in bypass valve.

My god ... "oil seeped through the media". What else should oil do when it gets on media? 😜

Last edited:
Hello all,

Couldn't really find an answer here (and wasn't quite sure how to search any further than I did), but has anyone here ever noticed anything resembling a consensus on Fram filter design quality, please? I recall reading (about 15 years ago) quite a bit on another Forum (Pick-up trucks), Fram's being built with a cardboard internal part, and many there didn't like that at all (and it sure didn't sound at all appealing to me either).

Not looking to start any fights/arguments here.

THX in advance....
How could you NOT FIND IT?? ON HERE?

in a world where it would be difficult to get 3 people together to decide what sort of toppings to have on a pizza, why would anyone think there was a consensus on Fram filters? :)

in a world where it would be difficult to get 3 people together to decide what sort of toppings to have on a pizza, why would anyone think there was a consensus on Fram filters? :)
I'd say there are generally some popular & lesser popular toppings to show consensus. Pepperoni is going to be more popular than pineapples w/anchovies as an example. 😀

^^^ Another YouTuber that doesn't know much about oil filters, and zombie viewers lap up his "expert" review. 😂

"No relief valve in these things" ... dude doesn't realize it's specified for an engine with a built-in bypass valve.

My god ... "oil seeped through the media". What else should oil do when it gets on media? 😜
It’s because of nonsense videos like this and many of the outright false and uninformed posts we see here sometimes that a “consensus” isn’t reached. At some point you realize facts have left the building and you’re arguing against entities that have stopped making any technical sense. I’m not sure what the motivation is exactly, pizza toppings notwithstanding.

Back