Any Consensus on Fram Oil Filters Here?

The only thing holding that filter up is its metal center core. It's like the "pole barn" principle. 😁
Yeah, but aren’t most cartridge oil filters the same way?
If I remember correctly, my son’s two BMW’s look the same to me only a cartridge.
Cartridge filters are on some of the most exotic cars on the market. I’m not so sure there’s something wrong with one in the disposable Fram can.

Fram filters, all variants, are fine to use for your vehicle's recommended oil change interval.

Have been fine for decades, but internet rumors are hard to kill sometimes even with facts.
Spot on! Like conspiracy theories, many oil/filter rumors are based on anecdotes and/or BS but seem to pop up again and again on discussion boards or at the local barber shop.

But you missed the point.
Will OEM filters let the engine last to 300,000 miles, sure.
Will a filter that cost $2 less than OEM let the engine last 300,000 miles, sure.

But over those 300,000 miles, that $2 per filter adds up.
Is the engine better with one filter or another, no idea, only a complete teardown would let you know (and even then there are too many variables to really compare).

You asked why not buy OEM, and I gave a valid reason. You don't have to like or even understand it.

Not sure what drinking water has to do with oil filters.

Wait, are we talking about filters cheaper than OEM filters or more expensive than OEM filters?
You seem to be jumping between both in your posts.

I am in the camp that you really gain nothing using a more expensive "high end" filter vs OEM filter (or other inexpensive aftermarket options) if doing basic oil change intervals.
Many do it just to feel better, and think more expensive is better.
Are there benefits, maybe, but none that I think most will notice long term.
Quite honestly, this post is all over the map. So I have no idea what you're talking about. You're pretty much agreeing with me and trying to pick a fight at the same time. Even if I wanted to pontificate more with you, no chance I can win since you just took every possible angle and both agreed and disagreed with it. "I'm going to jump down this guy's throat for mentioning OEM and then tell him the filter often doesn't even really matter."

So, to recap, the filter doesn't often matter for most normal drivers? But mentioning an OEM filter as a possibility was such a transgression you have to call me out on it? If you buy a FRAM at some part chains, they're double the price of an OEM. They're probably a buck or two cheapear if you get them at Wally World or Amazon.

Drinking water: don't you filter your drinking water with a FRAM Ultra screwed over your kitchen faucet? And you CLAIM to be a BITOG member? Ridiculous. I filter my milk, water, syrup, and BBQ sauce with a FRAM Ultra. It's the only way.

in a world where it would be difficult to get 3 people together to decide what sort of toppings to have on a pizza, why would anyone think there was a consensus on Fram filters? :)
I can't even decide on toppings when I'm alone and the only one eating the pizza. I tend to order pepperoni, bell peppers, mushrooms, jalapenos, and onions. But only if they've been rinsed using water that's been filtered by a FRAM Ultra...

I admit, I find it hard to buy Fram. I worked at an auto parts store in college, late 90s early 00s. We had one of those Purolator cutaway advertisements hanging from the filter shelf. Didnt specifically say it was Fram but who else uses an orange can, with the ends glued to cardboard. Looked so cheap and junky that's all I can see anymore when I see the fram name. Of course the base Purolator and Purolator PureOne looked fantastic and well made. It was an effective ad.

I admit, I find it hard to buy Fram. I worked at an auto parts store in college, late 90s early 00s. We had one of those Purolator cutaway advertisements hanging from the filter shelf. Didnt specifically say it was Fram but who else uses an orange can, with the ends glued to cardboard. Looked so cheap and junky that's all I can see anymore when I see the fram name. Of course the base Purolator and Purolator PureOne looked fantastic and well made. It was an effective ad.
Great example for this thread.

Frams are always priced competitively, there are economy, mid range, and top tier offers, construction is always on par to the price point, and availability is outstanding - basically sold everywhere and for everything. What more could be asked for?

yeah, judging a book by its cover is a perfect example of good portion of the "advice" in this forum.
I wasn't judging anything. It was an advertisement from over 20 years ago I continue to think of today that still affects my views on the product, and how it was quite effective. Granted, I glanced at that thing thousands of times while I worked at Champion Auto, more than most would. But that was also coupled with speaking to the Purolator rep for a while about his products. We had a few other reps come in as well, since we were an independent store and not part of a chain we would get salesmen frequently to speak to. Justice Brothers, Interstate batteries, Lube guard, Lucas etc.

Sorry if my comment wasn't based on some laboratory or scientific experience or study I was a part of. I am just a guy that worked at a parts store years ago.

Every time I've used one the orange really clashes with the dark blue-green paint on my car. Given you can't normally see the oil filter, it still bothers me knowing some bird or squirrel might be judging me.

OEM filters often aren't much more expensive than a cheap filter. Why not just buy OEM?
Good thing Fram offers them in multiple colors: orange, silver, gold, and black. I'm sure one of these goes with dark teal, but I'm hardly a fashion expert...

Fram basic oil filter has cardboard fiber type end caps. As I posted many high end vehicles use similar technology in their oil filter canisters where you jsut change out the media. Fram to me is fiber end caps but you change out the whole can. I am not so sure there is anything wrong with this and I am fine with it, sure at one time I questioned it, solely because of "Forums".
Here is a BMW filter in which only the media gets changed out.

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 12.14.12 PM.jpg

I wasn't judging anything. It was an advertisement from over 20 years ago I continue to think of today that still affects my views on the product, and how it was quite effective. Granted, I glanced at that thing thousands of times while I worked at Champion Auto, more than most would. But that was also coupled with speaking to the Purolator rep for a while about his products. We had a few other reps come in as well, since we were an independent store and not part of a chain we would get salesmen frequently to speak to. Justice Brothers, Interstate batteries, Lube guard, Lucas etc.

Sorry if my comment wasn't based on some laboratory or scientific experience or study I was a part of. I am just a guy that worked at a parts store years ago.
the end caps glued form cardboard... that is the book by its cover I was referring too. you said it in the post I quoted.. other than that, right..

Fram basic oil filter has cardboard fiber type end caps. As I posted many high end vehicles use similar technology in their oil filter canisters where you jsut change out the media. Fram to me is fiber end caps but you change out the whole can. I am not so sure there is anything wrong with this and I am fine with it, sure at one time I questioned it, solely because of "Forums".
Here is a BMW filter in which only the media gets changed out.

View attachment 187753

when a organization figures out a way to do something cheaper is that a bad thing, especially if some of the savings are returned to the consumer?

when a organization figures out a way to do something cheaper is that a bad thing, especially if some of the savings are returned to the consumer?
To some, yes.
We see the backlash Fram has gotten for removing the metal screen and changing the media in the Ultra.
I don't know the exact numbers (except what is printed on the box, which is the same old and new style), but I would bet that you could take the old style and new style and run a gamut of tests and you would not be able to tell which was which (or even that the new style filters better).
But cheaper manufacturing is bad to many regardless of the end result.

I wasn't judging anything. It was an advertisement from over 20 years ago I continue to think of today that still affects my views on the product, and how it was quite effective.
Back when Purolators were tearing a lot there should have been cut-away displays in all the automotive stores showing how they tear, lol. Decades ago Fram might have been about the only one who used construction vwith non-metal end caps, so seeing a display like that probably was pretty effective since it was automatically seen as a bad or inferior design back then.

The main point is that bad reparations are hard to get rid of, like Fram "chatboard" end caps even though many don't know that many other filters use similar construction, or the Purolator (and other brands built by Purolator) media tearing fiasco that was seen here. Wix was starting to get a reputation here for base crinp seal leaks after many were reported. Same with ADBV cuts on some Purolators.

All filters seem to have some kind of issue or weak point. But as I asked before, where's the actual proof that non-metal end caps are "bad" and cause an actuall problem? "Bad" looks doesn't always equate to "bad" function or performance.

Back