Toyota 1NZ-FE oil filter oversize application

One has to realize-the Fram XG filters USED to be rated at only 7000 miles (when they were the Xtended Guard), and gradually ratcheted the mileage rating up to 20K, until they ditched the full synthetic 2 layer pink wire backed media for the "sprayed-on" synthetic over blend non-wire backed they use today.
Until? ... the non-wire backed Ultra is still rated up to 20K miles.

Until? ... the non-wire backed Ultra is still rated up to 20K miles.
Well-THEY still rate them for 20K-I’ll leave the torture test to others. Not saying not possible-but I wouldn’t go that far on one, even on a clean engine. The Endurance is rated 25K-at least it appears strong enough to have a shot at it.

Well-THEY still rate them for 20K-I’ll leave the torture test to others.
I doubt Fram is going to keep the mileage rating at up to 20K miles if they didn't think it would still do it. It might not look great, but I'd bet it will do it without failing unless maybe some wild man tried 20K on a big sludge monster engine. User has to have use some logic when running filters out to the max, or beyond.

Decided to try this after seeing this thread on one of my spare 1NZs. This is champ PH2835XL thats for my 3mz Highlander

I am now pleased I can order 1 filter to cover all my Toyotas...once I burn up my stash of little filters. I dunno why I never thought to try this before.

Attachments

• 20240112_101533.jpg
    20240112_101533.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 37
You can go bigger with the PH400XL if you want something that compares to the XG3600 etc. Thanks for sharing.

Just wanted to post this to document possibilities fitting an oversize filter on Toyota's vehicles that take the smaller YZZN1 filter. This application is on the 1NZ-FE engine, one of the more reliable yet unimpressive of Toyota's design should its power be underwhelming but makes up very well in fuel economy and endurance. An excellent daily driver and commute car engine!

If the engine block filter face mount has extra diameter/radius, you can fit the large Toyota 90915-YZZD3 or the larger Fram 3600 size filters, the Fram is about 5 inches long while the YZZD3 is about 4 inches tall. They don't over hang below the engine oil pan.

View attachment 182962

Figure.1 - For reference, the YZZN1 has a 68mm outer diameter (can crimp seam), The Fram 3600 and YZZD3 have a gasket OD of around 2.75" or 70mm. You can see there's a bit of extra mounting face radius of around 2mm around the OD of the YZZN1 filter.

View attachment 182958

Figure.2 - The Fram XG3600 , very long, doesn't bottom out beyond the oil pan but close!

View attachment 182959

View attachment 182956

Figure.3 - The Fram XG3600 gasket fits very flush against the engine flange face and radius.

View attachment 182952

View attachment 182954

View attachment 182953

Figure.4 - Toyota 90915-YZZD3 fitment application, gasket OD sits perfectly flush and filter height doesn't extend beyond the oil pan.

View attachment 182963

Figure.5 - A ghost mark of the Larger filters gasket left behind during test fitting on the mounting flange / union.

A lesson learned: I forgot to pre-fill the YZZD3 with oil knowing its 70-80% larger by volume compared to the YZZN1. The oil pressure light took almost twice as long to turn off compared to the YZZN1 on engine start after filling with new oil. Moments before oil pressure light turning off I heard a slight grinding noise for about 1/4 of a second. So don't forget to pre-fill any larger oil filter prior to installation to avoid a dry start. Hoping I don't get any sparklies on the filter autopsy when the oil change is due.

Its worth noting that the Fram XG3600 has the same bypass setting as the smaller XG4967 of 12 psi which is the aftermarket cross reference for the YZZN1

I let the car idle for a few minutes checking for leaks before giving her a short highway run of about 10 miles at 70mph and returned to the garage and inspect again for oil leaks and so far none!

A bit excessive, wasteful and OCD-ish though you can probably get away of extending your filter change interval going oversize knowing you have more filtering media surface area. A fun project none the less.
Nice photos and info. I ran fram tough guard 8316 briefly on my old 09’ Camry with 2AZ-FE engine. Still have few if you’re interested. Shoot me a PM.

Thank You

Back