Is there a good fuel additive for lawnmowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who disassembles carburetors every year?

Some of my own equipment I have owned for 15 years and I've only had to take one carburetor apart to rebuild it. I use fresh fuel with a dose of Marine Sta-Bil and never had a problem. Some of them such as the snowblower and tiller only get used a few times a year.

Customer machines usually only have carb problems if they use old fuel, don't use stabilizer, or the machine sits out uncovered in the rain.

I run Chevron in my mower. Some years the lawnmower gas is well over a year old before it gets poured in. Mower is 14 years old and starts on first or second pull. I change the plug and air filter as needed.

Your mower may have a gummed up carburetor. Once you get it running well, use top tier gas and start it at least once a month. No other additives needed.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
I run Chevron in my mower. Some years the lawnmower gas is well over a year old before it gets poured in. Mower is 14 years old and starts on first or second pull. I change the plug and air filter as needed.

Your mower may have a gummed up carburetor. Once you get it running well, use top tier gas and start it at least once a month. No other additives needed.

Ethanol attracts moisture, and top tier doesn't make a difference. That is unless your fuel is ethanol free. It is the % ethanol content and exposure to moisture that will determine how quickly fuel goes bad.

Here in Connecticut, all stations/grades of fuel have 10% ethanol content. With our humid climate, I've seen fuel only last 3 weeks before it has water in it. Leave fuel for a year untreated and it forms a green algae-like build up on everything.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There's no such thing as a mechanic in a bottle. Carburetors have to be disassembled every year.

Actually there is ....
grin.gif

It's worked for me so far.

This works much better:
maxresdefault.jpg

star tron is what i use. works good. once a year i will give it a super dose.

Last edited:
We run a small commercial lawn mowing service. Ethanol free is not readily available. Even with frequent engine use (gas doesn't have time to go stale) we were having some ethanol-gummed carbs up to three years ago. Started using the blue Stabil Marine in all 4-cycle gas and not a problem in 3 years.
That's prevention and not a fix. As far as fixes, in the past, the ONLY product that I've seen make a substantial improvement in both 2 and 4 cycles has been Amsoil Quickshot. However, each time I did use higher than recommended doses. Biggest improvement has been on blowers.

Been doing that for years as well - no longer buy the red version and just use marine for boat and OPE ...
(Although it does not look like I'll use either this week
confused2.gif
- maybe in my generators)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Been doing that for years as well - no longer buy the red version and just use marine for boat and OPE ...
(Although it does not look like I'll use either this week
confused2.gif
- maybe in my generators)

Oh man, stay safe!

I live about 100 miles from where the center came in - the trees got a "haircut & shave" last night - but drainage is keeping up with the rains.
However, my camp is at Matagorda bay - Might find a worse story there once the roads are passable ...
Hoping this thing fizzles and that "button hook" theory fizzles with it ...

Originally Posted By: AMC
Originally Posted By: ejes
I've tried Star Tron, MMO, Seafoam and Techron. My best results by far have been with Techron, followed by a long distance by (in order of good to bad) Seafoam, Star Tron, and finally MMO. MMO actually seemed to cause more problems than it solved in my small engines (hard starts, surging, etc.)

I have tried all of those also and I concur with your findings. Cleaning and fuel stabilization are what most small engines really need IMO. Oil based upper cylinder lubricants like MMO don't help small engines very much and may even work against you. Although I heard good things about Star Tron, I am really not too sure about it. I stored the motorcycle in my sig with a heavy dose of star tron and fresh gas last winter. Come the spring it started right up but was running very poorly. It didn't run right until I ran the tank almost all the way empty, refilled it and added some Techron. I had never had a problem with the engine running poorly at the beginning of the season, until I tried Star Tron.....

If you can find ethanol free gas in your area then absolutely go for it. Ethanol free is not sold at a pump near me so I use 93 octane E-10 along with K100MG or Gumout Multi-system tune up in all my small engines and my motorcycle.

Here is a list of some of the fuel additives I have tried in small engines and was not impressed with: Stabil red, marine and performance, Star Tron, Lucas ethanol shield and MMO. Just be aware, fuel additives are something you are going to get really mixed opinions on.

That is VERY interesting. I had the exact same experience and problem with Star Tron with a DR650 I had. Your description of how your's all went down matches my experience to a "T".

Thanks for all the replies. Had no idea this would have long legs. We inherited it, so have no idea what kind of treatment it got, but am almost positive it got beat up good. The air filter was totally packed and deteriorating. The belt was off the wheels, so it was being used as a manual push mower :-/

There are a couple of non-ethanol gas stations around here, so I might check them out, thanks for the link. Techron has been my additive of choice over the years, so will probably start there, but am open minded to other things too.

Am also going to check out the fuel system from the tank to the carburetor.

I wasn't pushing the limits by any means, our grass is thin and dry, and it was quitting shortly after starting. There is no throttle, or choke or anything, it's just one of the new fangled pull and go jobs. Maybe there is some adjustment I can do to increase the rpms.

Originally Posted By: ejes

That is VERY interesting. I had the exact same experience and problem with Star Tron with a DR650 I had. Your description of how your's all went down matches my experience to a "T".

Thanks for the feedback. Like I said before, talking fuel additives is almost like talking oil choice or religion but so far, Star Tron and the sta-bil family of products have been the most disappointing for me. Here is some of MY follow up OPINION on fuel additives. I do not subrscibe to group think and do not repeat anyone else's opinions that I have heard. My findings are just that, my own findings;

Star Tron's "enzymatic" fuel treatment technology just really smells of snake oil to me. If the tiny amount of enzymes in it really did something, the technology would really be catching on and other companies would be borrowing/copying and making their version of it for sure, much like seafoam. A good example of that is Seafoam.... How many copies of Seafoam that come in the exact same bottle shape are out there now? A lot, because it does work or at least it does make people think that it works. The way I look at Star Tron; enzymes might be great for breaking down stains and odors in carpets but for keep fuel fresh? Consider me a skeptical at best....

Sta-bil is another company that people seem to be happy with and their products get great reviews, especially the marine version but again I am not impressed, at all. I have seen, first hand, several carbs gummed up with the red stabil. If you want to do a mini test yourself, pour some red stabil into a container with an open mouth (to simulate a poorly sealed fuel system) and set it aside in your shed for 3 months or more. What you will find is a sticky, tacky, gummy red residue. You do not want that in your fuel and I really don't see why it would help with anything. The MSDS for red sta-bil also shows that it is almost 100% naptha.... No thanks. As far as the marine version goes, It gets great reviews, it does seem to contain some better ingredients and technology but my biggest issue with it is the treatment rate. The treatment rate is listed as 1 oz per 10 gallons. Let that sink in for a minute.... 1 oz in 10 gallons of E-10 (or more) gas. I hate to be such a skeptic but 1 oz liquid of ANYTHING in 10 gallons of gas is not going to make one Iota of difference in any way, shape or form; much less keep that amount of gas fresh. My preferred products have a treatment rate of 1 oz per 2 gallons at most. A much more realistic treatment rate to keep gas fresh and prevent fuel related problems, IMO.

Being as skeptical as I am, So far I like K-100MG, A traditional solvent and oil based, no "magic" ingredients and a treatment rate of 1oz per gallon product. As well as, Gumout multi-system tune up. A slightly modernized seafoam with the addition of PEA. Again no magic ingredients and no ridiculous 1 oz per 10 gallons treatment rate.

As always, YMMV, Hope this was helpful

Marine version doubles treatment rate for stored fuel ... of course I don't follow instructions well and double for "in season use" and 3x for stored fuel - (put year old fuel in my generator this week ...)
I also stock up on Techron when on sale and run in small engines -
Where do you get K100?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Marine version doubles treatment rate for stored fuel ... of course I don't follow instructions well and double for "in season use" and 3x for stored fuel - (put year old fuel in my generator this week ...)
I also stock up on Techron when on sale and run in small engines -
Where do you get K100?

If it doubles the treatment rate to 1 oz per 5 gallons, that would be a good rate for a very basic upper cylinder lubricant or fuel injector cleaner but not a serious fuel stabilizer, water remover or corrosion preventer like it claims to be. Again, I can't prove that but it is my opinion based on experience with trial and error using these types of products. Also, coming from a common sense stance, 1 oz of almost ANY substance in 5 gallons of gasoline isn't going to make a huge difference as far as stopping the fuel from absorbing water, losing it's explosiveness, evaporating away or almost any problem that occurs with ethanol laced gas. As a light fuel injector cleaner or upper cylinder lubricant, sure; but not all those other issues. Even my favorite fuel additive, K-100 is pretty careful about how they word their claims and articles but even they let their wording be a bit optimistic as well IMO.

Napa and Canadian tire are supposed to be the national K-100 retailers although many marine supply stores and a host of online stores have it also. All of my local Napa's have K-100G and K-100D in stock with K-100MG and K-100MD available as quick order products. If you aren't interested in reading through K-100's website, The "G" Series products are for gas and the "D" series products are for diesel. The "M" means marine and those products contain extra fuel stabilizers and water eliminators. The best product in their line for gas is K-100MG because it has a powerful fuel stabilizer along with all of the other benefits. If you don't need to store your gas for more than 90 days, K-100G is a few dollars cheaper and makes a great general purpose fuel treatment. Here is K-100's Gas treatment benefit chart:

http://k-100.com/fuel-type/gas/

Originally Posted By: Olas
Fresh fuel is the only this you need in the tank.

In a perfectly running engine with gasoline stored under perfect conditions for no more than 3 weeks at a time, you are correct.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: AMC
Originally Posted By: Olas
Fresh fuel is the only this you need in the tank.

In a perfectly running engine used and stored under perfect conditions no more than 3 weeks at a time, you are correct.
smile.gif

So additives are acceptable in an engine that does not operate correctly? What about mechanical repairs>snake oil?
Also, the length of time in storage is irrelevant, you STILL need fresh fuel.

Updated my post.

The length of time you store gasoline is very relevant. Like food, It only stays good for so long.

And yes fuel additves can be used to correct an engine not running properly, not snake oil. I have used heavy doses of seafoam to clean dirty carbs and make engines that were barely running run better with the carb still attached to the engine. There are plenty of other products out there that can do that and they do work well for what they are.

Mechanical repairs are not always necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back