Friend needs a NON-self propelled lawnmower

My friend's lawnmower gave up the ghost. He says he likes my 2010 troy built 21" B&S Quantum mower. Based off of what I've seen, it appears that Briggs & Stratton got rid of the quantum engine. I'm hearing The new engines have issues. I know Honda tends to be a favorite but I'm not sure if there are any non self-propelled ones left or if they even made non-social propelled as I've never really shopped for Hondas. With the Briggs & Stratton motors being the most common, is there a go-to motor versus another one? Is there a way to get ahead of the design problems that the new ones have (bulletproofing with aftermarket parts)? How are the Kohler motors and is there any versions that offer non self-propelled? Do they still make mowers with Kawasaki engines and are they any better? Any advice would be appreciated.

How big is the yard? only because... ICE appears on its way out.

I haven't bought a mower in like 20 years, usually I get one from the transfer station, although I did get one off CL once for $20 or $40, not running, but identical to what I had (and was rusted out), and that I thought I knew what the problem was (I did).

On your friends mower, did he like? I'm wondering if it could be repowered. Or is it all worn out?

For a small lawn under a half acre, get an electric mower. There are many to choose from for under $200, including this Sun Joe

Also remember that you don't have to buy a Honda mower to get a Honda engine. If used is OK, get a late-model used lawn mower with a Honda engine, such as the Craftsman M140. Look on sites like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace :unsure:

Wpod, so are you saying higher price on B&S equals more reliable or spend more for a non B&S.

I will have to ask on the yard size, it's a good size yard but doesn't require a riding mower. I don't know what shape the body is in, it's had a B&S Quantum itself, it was around 10 years old. He changed the oil and air filter annually so I don't know why it seized.

The pulsar lists a Chinese company's engine. I'm assuming that would be a "chonda" engine. How do those usually hold up against B&S modern units? How difficult is getting parts and getting someone to repair them as I thought there was a rule that mechanics who were certified to work on Honda's would lose their certification if they worked on Chondas or is that now a moot point?

For a small lawn under a half acre, get an electric mower. There are many to choose from for under $200, including this Sun Joe

Also remember that you don't have to buy a Honda mower to get a Honda engine. If used is OK, get a late-model used lawn mower with a Honda engine, such as the Craftsman M140. Look on sites like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace :unsure:
How long do the batteries last before they have to be replaced and how much does it cost to replace them?

Pulsar 21

It has good reviews with one guy claiming he uses his professionally.
It's on sale for $100.

The very first cheap 20" mower I bought in 1978 was VERY simple (manual adjustable bolt on wheels) with 3.5 Briggs engine and it cost $99. That inflates to $464 dollars today. Amazing.
1691967643416.jpeg

Don't get hung up on engine brands.

This is what he wants: https://www.cubcadet.com/en_US/push-mowers/scp100/11A-A9KM710.html?fitsOnModel=false#start=0

My younger sister has the same mower when it was offered with the Honda 160CC engine. I bought it for her as my parents bought my first house I owned from me to "rent" to her.

I really like the ergonomic handle. She has 1/3 of an acre. The high rear wheel mowers don't make mowing easier. It makes the wheel base longer which makes tipping and manurvoring the mower a bit more cumbersome.

I wouldn't buy a mower with a 140CC B&S engine. It would be underpowered IMO if you let the grass get a bit tall before mowing it.

This is how bad she maintains it: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...ou-or-your-companion-took.354771/post-6125651

I mowed her lawn 2 weeks ago when she was on vacation and changed the oil on the mower with 10W30 SuperTech 20K since who knows when it will get done again.

IMG_5202.JPG

My friend's lawnmower gave up the ghost. He says he likes my 2010 troy built 21" B&S Quantum mower. Based off of what I've seen, it appears that Briggs & Stratton got rid of the quantum engine. I'm hearing The new engines have issues. I know Honda tends to be a favorite but I'm not sure if there are any non self-propelled ones left or if they even made non-social propelled as I've never really shopped for Hondas. With the Briggs & Stratton motors being the most common, is there a go-to motor versus another one? Is there a way to get ahead of the design problems that the new ones have (bulletproofing with aftermarket parts)? How are the Kohler motors and is there any versions that offer non self-propelled? Do they still make mowers with Kawasaki engines and are they any better? Any advice would be appreciated.
The newer Briggs&Strattons went to an expensive proprietary air filter that's $15. Chicanic on YouTube is not impressed. Most of the Briggs&Strattons used a generic paper filter that works why change.

I still think it’s a good option to consider a B&S powered mower today. From what I have seen offered in stores like Ace or Home Depot or Lowes today, pretty much all B&S engines are OHV now. The older ones (and I think the Quantum was among them) were L-head (flathead) types. You may still be able to find a few new ones of these around if you look hard enough locally. I agree that the L-heads are more robust and more desirable. I have 2 L-heads and plan to keep them as long as possible! That said, we also have an OHV which has served us well so far. However, it started sputtering the other day, and I corrected that by spraying carb cleaner (Amsoil Power Foam) into the throat of the carb. I never have had to do that with the older engines. But it now runs properly and has plenty of power. The OHV is about 7 years or so old. It does seems the OHV’s are more sensitive and require regular maintenance more so than before.

New mowers, even push only, have gotten expensive now. Expect to pay $350 to $400 for a brand new gas push mower that is not powered by a Chonda engine.

Another option is to look on Briggs and Stratton’s website and buy a replacement engine. This can be expensive, but it’s worth looking into.

I bought a 2018 Craftsman "Pro series" self propelled new that i've used for 3 years, sat for 2 years. I think I paid around $250 back then. It has some sort of B&S engine. After sitting 2 years it fired right up this spring. I'm treating it like gold now. Tell your friend to get self propelled, there is no reason to struggle because the steps are enough effort.

1691968851115.jpg

I bought a 2018 Craftsman "Pro series" self propelled new that i've used for 3 years, sat for 2 years. I think I paid around $250 back then. It has some sort of B&S engine. After sitting 2 years it fired right up this spring. I'm treating it like gold now. Tell your friend to get self propelled, there is no reason to struggle because the steps are enough effort.

View attachment 172667
He had a self propelled and didn't like it. He can push faster than it will drive.

The newer Briggs&Strattons went to an expensive proprietary air filter that's $15. Chicanic on YouTube is not impressed. Most of the Briggs&Strattons used a generic paper filter that works why change.
The OE Briggs Quantum or Honda GCV filter is not much cheaper if you buy them retail, if you bu generic online in a multipack you can get at least half a dozen filters for $15.

He had a self propelled and didn't like it. He can push faster than it will drive.

My father in law says the same thing.

I have a couple of self propelled mowers and a couple of push ones. My 3-speed Lawn Boy in 3rd gear will pull me around the yard-I get winded trying to keep up with it(the single speed of the same generation I've been known to crank up the governor partially to get ground speed a little higher). I THINK that commercial Toros still use a similar 3 speed-it may be the same one for all I know-but that's probably more than your friend wants to spend.

I've used Toro Personal Pace mowers and I've used Hondas with the thumb twiddle. I'm not a huge fan of the latter, but both can move at a pretty good clip if you wind them out.

Aside from that, there's nothing that says you have to use the self propel drive.

Your friend should try to grab one of the Honda powered Troy-Bilt TB-160 mowers before they are all gone. My neighbor has been using one for 11 years with only replacing the front plastic rake piece in 2022. Still on the original spark plug and it starts on the first pull since 2011.

Shop for the rest of the machine not the engine. They have perfected making the engines just good enough (and the other parts bad enough) that the wheels, handle, and/or deck will disintegrate first. This is true across the whole price range.

A cheap self-propelled drive will not free wheel when you try to push it forward faster than it wants to go. They're all heavier and harder to push than the same mower without any drive system.

How long do the batteries last before they have to be replaced and how much does it cost to replace them?

I got this one last year, and so far, it has lasted with no problem. You can also get the same mower but with a bigger battery. The red one I linked you earlier has the 5Ah battery, but is fixed and not replaceable, but there is a Youtube video on it after having been in use for a year.

I don't know how long the battery will last, but they give you instructions on how to get the best battery life. Charge it at least once every 6 months, and recharge it when the battery gets low.

Right now, the cost of a replacement battery is $60 for the 4Ah battery, or $75 for the 5Ah battery. That is likely much less than the cost of gas to run a Briggs flathead over the life of the battery.

It's also much easier to replace a dead battery than to repair an engine :D

Battery life will depend on how much you use it, proper charging, etc.

The biggest benefit isn't that you don't have to use gasoline anymore. It's that they're so much quieter!

Back