Talked my dad out of my Lawn-Boy

I'm on the younger side of things(mid-30s) although probably not in as good of shape as I could be.

For the first mow of the season this year, I opted for a current favorite Lawn Boy 7262, a D600 engine mag deck push mower. AFAIK, you won't find a push mower that's much lighter than this one, as the magnesium deck weighs almost nothing and has a relatively simple and lightweight 2 stroke engine on top of it. The only way you'd really get lighter is with the 19" equivalent of this mower.

Admittedly the wheels are more than a little wobbly(on my to-do list to fix) and I'm sure that didn't help things but it gave me more of a work-out on our relatively flat 3/4 acre lot than I expected it to.

If you want a Lawn Boy, the 10323/10324(I can't tell that there's actually any difference in the two-I suspect one may have been a big box store model number and one an independent store model) is relatively plentiful and usually inexpensive. The Duraforce engines are powerful and unstoppable, and they have the reliable single speed drive. They are steel deck mowers, but the steel is thick and good quality and they don't seem particularly rust prone from what I've seen.

I'm rather partial to Lawn Boys and I have...a few...in my garage now. We'll see if the 7262 gets used for the next mow or if I use something different. It's the only non-self-propelled one I have.

Been running a green Lawn Boy two-stroke at the cottage for an eternity after 7 or 8 years of stellar service in the home garden. Has those big wheels at the rear that make it easy to push and maneuver. It's light and was one of the lower(est) priced push mowers at time of purchase - great value! Rust is finally starting to eat through the deck resulting in blades of grass wedging in the tiny holes. Look strange, now a bit of a jalopy I must admit but have grown attached to it, having had it for so long. Only work I have done is replaced the primer (ethanol rot), blade and engine air-filter. Starts every Spring after the long winter as long as it receives a good prime of 8 to 10 compressions.

Only criticism is it's a bit smokey at initial start-up. If I see a similar one at the store, based on experience I will certainly it, but sadly don't see them readily available anymore. Maybe I'll look on the internet?

Update - well I guess another one of those "All good things come to an end!" Didn't realize a discontinued brand until did a 10 second search. Thought I'd share the following for entertainment value......

My dad picked up the mower on Thursday. It started on the first pull. I installed a new carb, coil, spark plug and primer bulb last year. The front wheels are a little wallowed out and he did comment the mower is hard to push. It could use new wheels. My younger sis has a Cub Cadet push mower which is easy to push in comparison. He wants to get a new self propelled mower and is looking at a Toro Super Recycler.

Update - well I guess another one of those "All good things come to an end!" Didn't realize a discontinued brand until did a 10 second search. Thought I'd share the following for entertainment value......

Pushed one of those smokey things around. Don't ever want to do that again.

My dad picked up the mower on Thursday. It started on the first pull. I installed a new carb, coil, spark plug and primer bulb last year. The front wheels are a little wallowed out and he did comment the mower is hard to push. It could use new wheels. My younger sis has a Cub Cadet push mower which is easy to push in comparison. He wants to get a new self propelled mower and is looking at a Toro Super Recycler.
I've had good luck with Super Recyclers over the years, both Briggs and currently Honda powered.

Pushed one of those smokey things around. Don't ever want to do that again.

Just spent another hour or so with my 7262 on Friday. it was actually a little longer since I was re-mowing some sections partially to clean up some heavier patches from side discharge and partially just to run the tank empty(this was my second mow since filling it and the gas I'm using now was bought and mixed in January so is probably getting on the border of being too old).

It's mixed 32:1, just like the cap says, and this actually is Wal-Mart Supertech TC-W3 "Outboard Motor Oil."

After actually properly tuning this engine-and trust me it was way off when I got it from someone trying to compensate for a failing coil-it smokes for about 10 seconds on start-up and then is perfectly clean.

I started the season with a nearly spotless muffler. When I was working on getting this one running, I torched and wire brushed it to get it there. I'll see just what it looks like after I've mowed a few times.

I used a Duraforce all of last year, and will be using it again some this year(along with a second higher-end Duraforce). These have above-deck mufflers so there's no hiding them smoking. Last year I always used Lawn Boy Brand TC-W3, and that's what I plan on using this year once I empty this current gallon of gasoline. Again, they'd smoke a bit on start(Duraforces are especially bad-they start easily with a choke+primer, but the choke sure makes them smokey although I don't think it's all oil smoke) but would clean up just fine.

Back