Is there a good fuel additive for lawnmowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small engines have small, poorly sealed fuel systems with small carburetors that plug up easily. I would stick to a fuel additive that focuses on fuel stabilization, fuel system cleaning along with moisture, ethanol, and octane management. Upper cylinder lubrication is great but less important, IMO.

I have been on a serious fuel additive testing binge lately and my favorite gas additive by far now is K100MG. Napa carries it and of course it can be ordered online if need be. It is a solvent based additive that cleans, manages moisture, stabilizes fuel, lubricates and raises octane by 2 points. The company that makes K100 does almost zero advertising, that is probably why you have never heard of it. For something that is more common and easier to find, Gumout multi-system tune up works well.

My Honda rider was surging badly early this spring. I cleaned the carb with spray, but it didn't help. Started adding Seafoam to the fuel. As of today, surging is minimal and really only noticed at idle. So, Seafoam evidently did help clean up the jets.

I've tried Star Tron, MMO, Seafoam and Techron. My best results by far have been with Techron, followed by a long distance by (in order of good to bad) Seafoam, Star Tron, and finally MMO. MMO actually seemed to cause more problems than it solved in my small engines (hard starts, surging, etc.)

Originally Posted By: ejes
I've tried Star Tron, MMO, Seafoam and Techron. My best results by far have been with Techron, followed by a long distance by (in order of good to bad) Seafoam, Star Tron, and finally MMO. MMO actually seemed to cause more problems than it solved in my small engines (hard starts, surging, etc.)

I have tried all of those also and I concur with your findings. Cleaning and fuel stabilization are what most small engines really need IMO. Oil based upper cylinder lubricants like MMO don't help small engines very much and may even work against you. Although I heard good things about Star Tron, I am really not too sure about it. I stored the motorcycle in my sig with a heavy dose of star tron and fresh gas last winter. Come the spring it started right up but was running very poorly. It didn't run right until I ran the tank almost all the way empty, refilled it and added some Techron. I had never had a problem with the engine running poorly at the beginning of the season, until I tried Star Tron.....

If you can find ethanol free gas in your area then absolutely go for it. Ethanol free is not sold at a pump near me so I use 93 octane E-10 along with K100MG or Gumout Multi-system tune up in all my small engines and my motorcycle.

Here is a list of some of the fuel additives I have tried in small engines and was not impressed with: Stabil red, marine and performance, Star Tron, Lucas ethanol shield and MMO. Just be aware, fuel additives are something you are going to get really mixed opinions on.

A year ago i stopped having gas and premix @ the house.

I only use premix in my pressure washer and small generator.

Pulled the plug on the pressure washer the other day, it was light gray.

Starts on the 2nd pull ever time. 3rd when it sits for 6 months.....

Yes there is one good additive on a matket....it is called "new set of carburetor diaphragms"
smile.gif

I would try running a tank of high octane 93 and see if that helps first. I use 91 non ethanol in my equipment and it runs great. I dont think the ethanol is the issue though. If that doesnt work, id try the techron.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There's no such thing as a mechanic in a bottle. Carburetors have to be disassembled every year.

Absolute nonsense.

This thread has a lot of wrong in it.

Lets start with the most basic observation.
OP, is the engine dieing because your asking too much from the mower in tall and/or wet grass? Is your engine set to the max RPM's whiling mowing? Just asking because there are some people that think the engine will blow up if they run it at the fastest "rabbit setting".

Some mowers are underpowered.

If the carburetor has deposits in it, don't expect a gas additive to clean the carb out and make it run like new. The only solution is to replace the carb or take it apart and clean it.

Run some Techron in it, then add a bit of MMO to each tank of gas. That combination seems to work very well.

Nobody asked what make and model of engine this is.

+1 that it could be the cheap plastic diaphragm, which are more problematic on some engines than others.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I use E0 gas and blue StaBil. All year long for all OPE.

You should pull the carb and clean it, install a carb rebuild kit if possible.

+1

Fresh fuel and a bit of blue Marine Sta-Bil to combat the ethanol content is all you need. No additives will really do anything worthwhile.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Absolute nonsense.

If you leave the mower sitting outside in the backyard over the course of winter with untreated gasoline, don't expect it to run in the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back