Is my oil filter supposed to be dry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kool1
I use to change my oil filter with the OCOD and noticed that sometimes my oil filter would be dry when I removed it. It made for a clean removal with no mess but I knew it had to be bad for my engine with a dry start up. I subsequently used WIX and never had the dry oil filter syndrome again. I now use a Hyundai oil filter and it is always a dripping mess when I change the filter. Messy for me but good for the engine.
The parts have an oil film on them .

On an 02 camry, with a filter pointing down engine, if I take filter off within a couple hours get oil runs out, if let sit many hours, no oil runs out. Any kind of filter does the same. Your filter is fine. Short time, oil, long time, no oil comes out. There is a little cup below the filter to guide the oil. When the filters are seen off the car base up, they have oil in them. All brands used have been the same, have oil.
A Fram Ultra is going on it next time, no problems with it last time, and as nice as the Denso and Kia filters look, and they look a lot alike, they publish no specs. When I posted pics of Denso, people asked where are the specs? Specs are a leap of faith the name is good, I only can say. Which is the method I use, leap of faith.

AMEN !!!
smile.gif

Weedeater sized... I'm running the Purolator Synthetic oil filter that's the upsize one. I've run the Fram TG 7317 on it too. But yeah I believe you are spot on there Captain.

Did you have start up rattle like when starting it up with a new oil filter?

I installed a new Mobil 1 filter, and the filter does slope down, and the filter is above the sump oil level. After the car sit over night, there was start up rattle like it sounds when a new filter is installed. Let this go on for about a week, so I removed it, and I installed a Wix, and the start up rattle was solved. The previous Fram oil filter did not have any start up rattle.

When I took off the Mobil 1 filter, the filter had probably an ounce or two of oil in the return, and that's just a guess because it was not much at all. I used a screw driver, and pushed on the ADBV, and then turned the filter to drain oil of it, but just a little trickle came out of it.

Anyway, I think there was some kind of siphoning effect going on here, so I don't use the Mobil 1 filters any more. Not saying it's a bad filter. Just saying the one I got did not work right with my car for some reason. It was a GM 3.1 engine.

Been changing oil in my Wife's '97 Camry 2.2L for 7 years.
ALL NAPA Gold or PureOne filters.

If I change the oil right after it's been run, oil dribbles out when I unscrew it.

If I wait an Hour or more, the filter unscrews with all the oil drained out of the filter already.

Did the filter feel like it had oil in it? That filter should have had oil in it? If it had no oil in it maybe the anti drain back valve was not working.. Dont throw that filter out im sure someone would like to cut it open if you dont.
Personally i like the ultra but would like to know if this filter has a problem.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
define dry.

Like new dry, or dirty oil and just not full.

BIG difference.

Rod
What I mean by dry is no oil came out when removing it.

Either the ADBV totally failed or it was doing its job properly. Bang a screwdriver in the bottom and see what comes out. I bet its full of oil.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Been changing oil in my Wife's '97 Camry 2.2L for 7 years.
ALL NAPA Gold or PureOne filters.

If I change the oil right after it's been run, oil dribbles out when I unscrew it.

If I wait an Hour or more, the filter unscrews with all the oil drained out of the filter already.

This would be my guess.

Need to know if car was hot and oil changed soon after or not.

What I mean by dry is no oil came out when removing it.

Two questions:

1) How long had the car sat before you removed the filter?

2) Was the old filter noticeably heavier than the new filter?

Had the same question about a Mobil-1 on my Tacoma, and it sits totally inverted.

I drained the oil before I removed the filter, so I wondered if the suction of the drain sucked the oil out. But the next OCI, I removed the filter first. Still essentially dry.

I never hear any startup noise, so I don't worry about it.

Have to wonder how effective ADBVs really are.

The car had just been driven, sat maybe 10-15 minutes while the oil was draining.

It doesn't weigh that much.

I'll try to cut it open tomorrow. I'll post pics. Below is a pic of what it looks like now, looked the same when it came off.

I'm no filter-guru. It just surprised me oil didn't come out.

x3683p.jpg

On that motor, the filter is pointed down at about 45 degrees. If it sits for a few hours, the oil seems to drain down, not sure exactly where it is draining to but it does. I used to use that to my advantage, changing the oil and filter when it was cold. No mess.

Did you get any engine chatter during startup? To me, a dry start is like starting your engine after a filter change. It'll scream/ whine until it fills with oil.

That filter is so darn small, I'd think it'd be hard to tell if it had oil in it or not. Is it the 6609 or 7317?

You could try the blow test too.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Did you get any engine chatter during startup? To me, a dry start is like starting your engine after a filter change. It'll scream/ whine until it fills with oil.

That filter is so darn small, I'd think it'd be hard to tell if it had oil in it or not. Is it the 6609 or 7317?

It's an XG4967

No startup chatter, this Camry or my 97' Camry that I had last year. Not even after oil changes.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

It's an XG4967

No startup chatter, this Camry or my 97' Camry that I had last year. Not even after oil changes.

Oh that one is the very small one I believe with the 3/4"-16 threads. About the size as the 6607. (Keep wanting to call it 6609 for whatever reason.)
shocked.gif

I am betting it has oil in it.. Just not very much because of its size. It wont come pouring out like a Fram XG8A.

You guys were right, there was oil in there. Once I started cutting it it had quite a bit of oil in there.

I used my angle grinder to cut it so it's not the prettiest cut.

x5us2h.jpg

1sktbt.jpg

mtmbf9.jpg

fepiq9.jpg

Filter was plugged up not allowing oil thru to the clean side. For the heck of it...remove the filter at 500 miles and see if it's dry again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back