Is it Pop, Soda or Coke where you live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soda here. We had a new grocery store chain come in a few years ago from the Pacific Northwest; their signs read “Pop”. The other stores around here read “Soft Drinks”.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
When I lived in Texas it was Coke...what flavor do you want.
smile.gif

So you'd ask for a Coke and they'd say what flavor and you'd say Coke again? OK..

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
When I lived in Texas it was Coke...what flavor do you want.
smile.gif

So you'd ask for a Coke and they'd say what flavor and you'd say Coke again? OK..

Basically, yes. Coke. They would say what flavor. That was 1993ish.

As the map shows it's soda when I lived in St Louis and Milwaukee which are Midwestern islands in a pop sea, pop in South Dakota. I lived in Atlanta for four years in the seventies and can't for the life of me remember coke being used as a generic name although people carefully differentiated between Strong Coke which was six ounces in a glass bottle and regular Coke. Thought they were stupid to pay the same money for half of much, but I tasted the two back to back and they were right.

Remember ordering a Scotch and soda in the late sixties on moving to Milwaukee and the bartender asking "sweet?" It was Scotch and seltzer then and there.

Pop v. Soda v. Coke

Last edited:
In Oz, most people I know use "soft drink" for anything that's not using a brand name. With little kids, it's oft referred to as "fizzy drink"

For me it's tea. In the UK that is. When In travel to the USA it's coffee. Americans don't have a clue about making tea, but are masters of coffee.
Pop, soda, coke, whatever you call it is great for your dentist's financial well being.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
Liter of cola.

Just order a large Farva.

Its only .25 and look how much more you get.

In southern Indiana and southern Ohio I hear people ask for the specific type by name. IE Dr. Pepper or Sprite. If they want a Coke i hear Coke, with a waiter asking is Pepsi fine? Generally a pepsi is a Coke in my experience

Originally Posted By: andyd
Tonic, ARCOg, where did you grow up? Tonic is a south eastern MA idiom. Early fizzy drinks were touted as healthy early on. Dr Pepper, Moxie, Cel-Ray.Coca Cola. Tonics
Just east of Lowell MA. Got here in the early 60's. Originally I was from Indiana then we moved to New Jersey in 1958. Dad was a Manager at Western Electric (AT&T/LUCENT TECH) and he moved around the Phone MFG locations for a while. Around Indianapolis we called it soda pop in the 50s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back