P&T valve dripping in gas hot water heater

The P&T valve on my hot water heater is dripping maybe one pint a week. As far I know the handle on the P&T valve was never pulled to open the valve.

Not sure if I should just replace the valve or try to pop it open hoping it will seal when it snaps back closed and seal. If it continues to leak or leaks worse then replace it.

I am thinking this was replaced in 2018.

My experience has been if they are leaking its generally because of high water pressure especially if its never been touched. If you are on city water and your main has a back flow preventer your water heater has to have an expansion tank. When the water is heated it expands and wants to push back into the water lines. The expansion tank gives it a place to go if you have a back flow preventer. If the expansion tank fails it will start leaking out of the T&P valve. If you have well water the well tank serves as an expansion tank for the water heater.

Other case is you have city water and have a water pressure regulator on your main when it comes in the house. If the water pressure at the street is high enough and the regulator fails you will have a leaking T&P valve.

What is the pressure put a gauge on somewhere so you can see if its malfunctioning or the pressure is high.
if you run your hot water tank down... The water will expand a quite abit when it heats up.

Exercising it is a last resort. if you do that be ready for it to immediately fail afterwards.

I agree check your water pressure first. I had a heck of a time when the rural water system changed out my meter and installed a check valve in the line. They did not tell me about the check valve. I had faucet leaks and the pop off valve on the water heater began to leak. I called the water system office and found out about the check valve. Adding an expansion tank cured the problem.

Just had to replace mine after 3 years(2020 Bradford white 75 gallon on town well water w/ softener). Started corroding at the seal t&p valve and saw a few drops starting. They turned up water softener to regenerate more often as they suspect that it root cause.

Last edited:
The P&T valve on my hot water heater is dripping maybe one pint a week.
I've had that happen after opening the valve and another time on it's own , just put a pan underneath . The drip gradually slowed then stopped after a week .

The one on my brand new Rheem Hybrid didn't make it a year before it started leaking.

The heater I replaced never leaked. Still worth the inconvenience though.

What really sucked for me is that it was plumbed into the condensate pump and it took me almost 3 months to notice.

I would replace the valve, reduce your heat setting to around 125 degrees and install an expansion tank as a last resort.

The P&T valve on my hot water heater is dripping maybe one pint a week. As far I know the handle on the P&T valve was never pulled to open the valve.

Not sure if I should just replace the valve or try to pop it open hoping it will seal when it snaps back closed and seal. If it continues to leak or leaks worse then replace it.

I am thinking this was replaced in 2018.
Replace it... You will find once you remove the old one a lot of crusty crud on the valve and spring...It is not a hard job to do at all....

Hopefully this thing is plumbed to go outside when it operates ? You say you have a bucket under it ..

Back