Is it Pop, Soda or Coke where you live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pop in Illinois
Soda in St. Louis
Coke in Atlanta, at least in the 80’s, everything remotely suggested to relieve one’s thirst was called a coke.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Soda.

What on earth do the rest of you then call a scotch and (club) soda, Scotch and pop, or Scotch and coke?

That might work if club soda wasn't a mixer and was akin to a sweetened drink that people call pop, soda, Coke...which it's not.

Since I never drink them, I call them by their brand name ( Coke, Pepsi, 7up, Sprite ) as it's more a description than a vague name for dark ( Coke/Pepsi ) or light ( 7up/Sprite ) soft drinks. If you order a "Coke" at some places and the waitress says "Is Pepsi OK?", my guess is that 51% or greater would say that's fine because they're interchangeable unless you really care and are brand/taste loyal. Same goes for 7up and Sprite.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Tonic or Coke.

Just sampled a 1893 Pepsi. Reminds me of when cola was decent in the 60's from a fountain.

Don't drink the stuff now.

How did u do that?

Pepsi has a limited edition version called 1893, it’s supposed to be the old formula.

Here in MI it’s pop, you bake with soda. The exception being soda water which is, as mentioned in the post above regarding mixing Scotch, is a mixer- but is neither pop nor coke. If one wants to get overly technical as in pic vs. picture vs. photograph etc one could be excused for calling it Soda Pop, but that’s generally antiquated.

Soda here.

Although my mom is the only one I know that calls it pop, but she’s from Phoenix?

Tonic, ARCOg, where did you grow up? Tonic is a south eastern MA idiom. Early fizzy drinks were touted as healthy early on. Dr Pepper, Moxie, Cel-Ray.Coca Cola. Tonics

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Originally Posted By: Uregina09
Pop in Canada. Some old-timers refer to it as soft drink.

Right. I’m an old timer and call it a soft drink. I remember buying soft drinks for 7 cents in the 60’s.

I remember 5 cent coke ... it was outrageous when it went up 2 cents to 7 cents

( and 10 cent draft beer - jumped right to 15 cents in one price jump
beer3.gif
)

Over here you ask for the brand name, unless you want a cola drink, when Coke is pretty much a generic term.
If you ask for Coke in a bar or restaurant they might point out they sell Pepsi.

Claud.

In Upstate New York it was always soda.

In Washington State where I live now it is pop.

When I lived in Texas it was Coke...what flavor do you want.
smile.gif

it's pop in this area, but i'm the lone weirdo who says soda.

and yes, I've lived here my whole life. heck, the store i work at is less then 100 yrds from the land where my grandparents house used to be/where my dad grew up

Around here, pop is your dad, coke is, well, the things that get you high. Soda is what they want to tax you on.

I think the 2017 name for them all is "sugary drink".

Originally Posted By: Claud
Over here you ask for the brand name, unless you want a cola drink, when Coke is pretty much a generic term.
If you ask for Coke in a bar or restaurant they might point out they sell Pepsi.

Claud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS_4u73d1PQ

"No Coke, Pepsi!"
I went to the real Billy Goat Tavern years ago and it didn't remind me of this place at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back