iOS 17 is out today Sep 18th, 2023

I never fully understood the optimal charging part other than the phone learns your habits and does it that way to extend battery life. I am a heavy user so I guess my battery being at 71% capacity is normal. In fact I may not get the battery changed just yet. I have to plug in midday to give it a boost then at night it charges while I sleep. But we will see.
I think it learns your schedule of when you charge and use your phone. If I routinely go to bed at 11PM and put my phone on the wireless charger, wake up at 6:00AM and start using it, it will adjust the time that it begins charging (and maybe the rate?) so that it is ready and charged slightly before my wakeup time. If I touch my phone in the middle of the night to see what time it is it usually has a notification that optimized charging has delayed charging so you phone will be charged at 6:00AM (or something to that effect...). I think it keeps it from sitting at 100% trickle charging all night. I have also seen if I put it back on the charger with 97% or something close, it will not begin charging again.

There seems to be a mixed review in regards to using Optimized Battery Charging (requires Location and other features on to work properly). Do you guys keep it on or off?

Last edited:
Don't recall where but I remember changing the vibration pattern and seeing that there was some way to create a custom pattern. I think it was via contact with a virtual button to create the pattern.

Okay. Thanks for refreshing my memory. It’s in the Contacts app.

@KrisZ
The other part of it is you have two different people using two different phones in different ways with different apps, and possibly different settings for those apps.

With that said, I’m not big on the whole battery optimization but if you’re a let’s say 9 to 5 person and you put your phone on a charger before you go to bed it’ll stop charging at 80% until an hour or two before you go to work and finish charging at that time.
It must do something for some people, but certainly not everyone.

I think the key here is the new limit function on iPhone 15.

but that's only part of it, how many charge cycles does each one have and does something like coconut battery agree on battery health.
Ok, here is the coconut battery data. Her phone has 77 cycles more then mine, my battery health is at 99.6, hers at 90.4.
I will keep the optimized charging off, it doesn’t work in our case.

Left is mine, right is hers.
Image.jpeg

@KrisZ
The other part of it is you have two different people using two different phones in different ways with different apps, and possibly different settings for those apps.

With that said, I’m not big on the whole battery optimization but if you’re a let’s say 9 to 5 person and you put your phone on a charger before you go to bed it’ll stop charging at 80% until an hour or two before you go to work and finish charging at that time.
It must do something for some people, but certainly not everyone.

I think the key here is the new limit function on iPhone 15.

For sure, the usage matters as well, but I am also comparing it to my old iPhone 12 where I had the optimization turned on all the time and my usage pattern is about the same. I saw similar degradation within the first year as my wife's phone now.
It does taper off after that though. If I remember correctly my 12 was at about 86%-87% after over two years when I traded it in.

Be careful with upgrading to iOS 17 if you use CarPlay with your vehicle's infotainment system. I'm hearing complaints from some people that are having problems with their infotainment systems freezing after the upgrade.

Updated my Watch 7 to 10.0.0 and noticed the battery running down faster?
Then tonight 10.0.1 just came out and updating again as I type this. This is why I normally wait *LOL*... now I see my desktop has an update to 14.0 available, think I will wait. Will need to see the phone as I recently updated to 17.0.1 and see someone already has 17.0.2 *LOL* geez///
Oh, well, that is cool, I think, just got notification that the watch has access to FaceTime... got me on that one.:unsure:
@PimTac Thanks, downloading 17.0.2 now ...

Updated my Watch 7 to 10.0.0 and noticed the battery running down faster?
Then tonight 10.0.1 just came out and updating again as I type this. This is why I normally wait *LOL*... now I see my desktop has an update to 14.0 available, think I will wait. Will need to see the phone as I recently updated to 17.0.1 and see someone already has 17.0.2 *LOL* geez///
Oh, well, that is cool, I think, just got notification that the watch has access to FaceTime... got me on that one.:unsure:
@PimTac Thanks, downloading 17.0.2 now ...
Apple always says that the battery drain is normal after an upgrade since the spotlight search has to re-index all the files. They claim it will usually go back to normal after a day or 2.

Apple always says that the battery drain is normal after an upgrade since the spotlight search has to re-index all the files. They claim it will usually go back to normal after a day or 2.
You know, now that you mention it, I remember something like that, just caught my attention as it seemed excessive but it was a pretty big upgrade. I might be crazy but I could swear my Watch 7 Screen Contrast seems much more nice for lack of better word.
*LOL* now for goodness sakes if I can just find out where the remaining battery charge went too.

There seems to be a mixed review in regards to using Optimized Battery Charging (requires Location and other features on to work properly). Do you guys keep it on or off?
I have it turned on and hope it does what it is supposed to. I’m trying to get the most life from my XR I can.

How’s the battery life on the 12 mini?

It has never been stellar even when new. I bought it Black Friday 2020 in an Apple Store and its battery health is at 82%. I'm still on the original battery. It does charge really fast when using a cord.

It doesn't like being charged and using Apple Maps or Waze at the same time. Even when the phone is in the shade in that situation, it usually gets too hot and gives a warning it stopped charging.

On an 11 the apple battery health must go in 5% increments...

Ive been experimenting with running it completely down, and then charging completely and per coconut battery its gone from 79.X% capacity to 84.X capacity and apple still says 80... Weird behavior.... wondering what happens if i can get it over 85%...

Back