iOS 17 is out today Sep 18th, 2023

I stopped using apple maps in Houston because it screws at times. Usually on 610. Maps has been bulletproof.

I had similar issues, but have recently been using Apple Maps almost exclusively. I have the occasional hiccup, but it’s been pretty solid and close to Google and Waze most of the time. We usually keep Waze running on the passenger’s phone to give us more accurate road hazard/police warnings.

No I do not. Per apple website and google searches it says basically the phone learns it through the optimized charging feature

My iPhone 7 was doing it, but since I got my iPhone SE 3rd gen I've never seen it limit the charging, but I'm mostly working from home now and leave it charging most of the day.

Unlikely, but one possibility could be a feature that's only done in hardware/firmware for the charging circuitry.

I've got an older iPad mini 4 that updated to iPadOS 15.7.9. And an iPhone 7 that just got iOS 15.7.9. If your device is on iOS/iPadOS 16, it should have the latest updates enabled. But there are some oddball builds out there. iOS 17.0.2 is only for iPhone 15 models. If there's an incremental update again, I'm thinking it could be 17.0.3 and 17.0.4 if they want to maintain separate update numbers.
Makes perfect sense, but older phones already seem to have the ability to stop charging at 80% and then charge at an optimal time, which is determined by the phone, not us (“Optimized Batttery Charging”). How is that different from simply limiting SoC to 80% always? Seems odd.

With that said I didn’t follow the betas so I’m not sure if this feature was having issues and the decision was made to only include it in their latest flagship And figure out the rest of the lineup later.

Here’s mine (13 Pro Max - almost 2 years old)

My wife is down into the 80s on her non-max Pro.

IMG_5282.png

Makes perfect sense, but older phones already seem to have the ability to stop charging at 80% and then charge at an optimal time, which is determined by the phone, not us (“Optimized Batttery Charging”). How is that different from simply limiting SoC to 80% always? Seems odd.

With that said I didn’t follow the betas so I’m not sure if this feature was having issues and the decision was made to only include it in their latest flagship And figure out the rest of the lineup later.

I have no insider information, but obviously some charging functionality has to be built in such that it can work without the processor or even power (until it's applied). One case would be if the battery is completely depleted and no longer powering anything at all, but it still needs to be able to recover once it has external power available. I do understand that there are different levels of what's "on" with an iPhone depending on the state of charge.

But who knows. I remember when multi-touch gestures are first implemented the latest MacBooks. There were questions as to whether or not some future operating system upgrades might make it available in older Macs. I suspected that it could have been a specific hardware implementation, but later the feature was extended with an OS update.

Last edited:
I'll wait until this weekend and see if 17 pops up. Apple may be throttling rollouts. Who knows? I may wake up to have it saying new update available at some point. :)

There's the option in the Updates menu to update to IOS 17 towards the bottom of the page.
Sure enough. When I swiped up there is was. Upgrade to ios 17. Learned somethin new.

"About 80% Limit with iPhone 15 models
With iPhone 15 models, you can choose between Optimized Battery Charging, 80% Limit, and None.
When you choose 80% Limit, your iPhone will charge up to about 80 percent and then stop charging. If the battery charge level gets down to 75 percent, charging will resume until your battery charge level reaches about 80 percent again.
With 80% Limit enabled, your iPhone will occasionally charge to 100 percent to maintain accurate battery state-of-charge estimates."

Source = https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210512

I never fully understood the optimal charging part other than the phone learns your habits and does it that way to extend battery life. I am a heavy user so I guess my battery being at 71% capacity is normal. In fact I may not get the battery changed just yet. I have to plug in midday to give it a boost then at night it charges while I sleep. But we will see.

I never fully understood the optimal charging part other than the phone learns your habits and does it that way to extend battery life. I am a heavy user so I guess my battery being at 71% capacity is normal. In fact I may not get the battery changed just yet. I have to plug in midday to give it a boost then at night it charges while I sleep. But we will see.

For whatever reason, 80% is the generally accepted original capacity for a mobile device battery to be depleted, but it's 60% for NiMH cylindrical batteries.

I generally recommend carrying around a USB power bank to help extend an older battery. Works best if the battery is already fully charged, so it's supplying current power needs rather than just using a battery to charge another battery. But the other issue is that a lot of these shut off their output after a while if they're not being actively used for more than just a nominal power draw and need some button press to restart.

Didn't read too closely but I'm at 92% battery health on my iPhone 13. It seems to have degraded more than my 2015 Volt's battery. I guess liquid cooling is worth something!

Best difference I noticed on iOS 17 is the Clock app has been improved. I can see previous timers and set them again. Couldn't do that before. I haven't talked on the phone yet (I don't often) so I haven't noticed the rearranging of the Phone app people have complained about. No idea on the improvements to Safari as I use Edge (although all 3rd-party browsers have to use Safari's core on iOS) because it syncs my bookmarks on PC and I've never liked Safari's UI.

Well, well! Here is some groundbreaking news. Wife updated her Apple Watch 7 this week. (last years model)
It cuts off the charge at 80% or another way to put it, allows a 80% charge limit. I think maybe safe to assume that maybe an update will be coming for pre-Iphone 15's too. We will see.
Here is a partial screen shot from the watch explaining how it works. Since its a screen shot its not the whole thing.
I try another time for that. What was cut off was the image of the ring and "Tap the charge to charge" the watch to 100%
incoming-69EAEF44-B3AC-41B6-B1F4-CEE186B4A864.PNG

NEVER MIND this for now, need more details, watch prompted my wife on this, it's not a hard setting to limit. I updated my watch last night, guess I will find out in the coming days and report back

Last edited:
RE Optimized charging: It seems to work well as long as your routine remains similar.... will keep it from doing multiple 100% charge cycles if you periodically plug it in at odd times.

RE battery capacity, I'm sure i'll get arguments but according to coconut battery ive has some success with increasing capacity by running the phone completely down (shuts off) then recharging.

Updated our Watch 7s
Both iPhone 13s to 17.0.1

No ill effects that I know of yet. I read someone here lost their calls logs ect. No issues there either. I wonder if somehow their phone didnt sync with iCloud?
I noticed after the update, as soon as the screen came up it said "syncing with iCloud"

(ignore my previous post about my wife's Watch 7. Its just optimized charging, not charging limit option)

Last edited:
The thing I've noticed is the vibrations have changed. I don't usually turn the ringer on and rely on the vibrate, and it's got a very different vibration pattern as the default. At first I was thinking maybe there was some construction equipment being used in my neighborhood but then noticed it was from my phone.

The thing I've noticed is the vibrations have changed. I don't usually turn the ringer on and rely on the vibrate, and it's got a very different vibration pattern as the default. At first I was thinking maybe there was some construction equipment being used in my neighborhood but then noticed it was from my phone.

The vibrations or haptics used to be customizable. I don’t see that anymore. I noticed the change as well. I also use the LED flash alerts.

I have not upgraded to 17 yet, but will probably soon.
RE Optimized charging: It seems to work well as long as your routine remains similar.... will keep it from doing multiple 100% charge cycles if you periodically plug it in at odd times.

RE battery capacity, I'm sure i'll get arguments but according to coconut battery ive has some success with increasing capacity by running the phone completely down (shuts off) then recharging.

I’ve done an experiment with optimized charging after noticing increased battery degradation on my iPhone 12 when using it.

My wife and I got the iPhone 14s at the same time, she is using the battery optimization, which is turned on by default and I turned mine off.
We are around the 1 year mark and my battery health is at 98%, my wife’s phone is at 96% or 95%. I remember similar degradation with my iPhone 12z

In other words, it doesn’t really work at making your battery last. At least in my case.

I have not upgraded to 17 yet, but will probably soon.

I’ve done an experiment with optimized charging after noticing increased battery degradation on my iPhone 12 when using it.

My wife and I got the iPhone 14s at the same time, she is using the battery optimization, which is turned on by default and I turned mine off.
We are around the 1 year mark and my battery health is at 98%, my wife’s phone is at 96% or 95%. I remember similar degradation with my iPhone 12z

In other words, it doesn’t really work at making your battery last. At least in my case.
but that's only part of it, how many charge cycles does each one have and does something like coconut battery agree on battery health.

Back