Safford Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram bait and switch

I bought my Caravan, not only price, but ease to fix anything. I just checked online for parts for 2012 Impala and compared prices on identical items, Caravan is quite a bit cheaper. 6 years and no problems and knock on wood, same battery.

Did you in you inquire online or thru contact method about the vehicles in stock etc before becoming a walk in? Internet sales can be different than a walk in. Also Internet sales items may be isolated from general sales . Guessing they had no idea about status of them so they said sold.
From some of the pics on the ads, the internet listed vehicle are on the lot based on other very noticeable vehicles such as Rebel and Power Wagon trucks in the background.

I guess I have to think long and hard if the B6 SXT is really for me and narrow down my search and questions for thr community. I really just want a decent American muscle car to drive to work once in a while and weekend jaunts. And I do plan to change my oil and hopefully my transmission myself.

Did you in you inquire online or thru contact method about the vehicles in stock etc before becoming a walk in? Internet sales can be different than a walk in. Also Internet sales items may be isolated from general sales . Guessing they had no idea about status of them so they said sold.

Many dealers walk in customers are going to be tried to be squeezed for every penny on a sale. Best is to find that vehicle online you like. Inquire about it have some back and forths and get a deal made then go and check it out. Will be no surprises then. In fact you have dealer vs dealer battles via email asking them to beat each other

Many dealers walk in customers are going to be tried to be squeezed for every penny on a sale. Best is to find that vehicle online you like. Inquire about it have some back and forths and get a deal made then go and check it out. Will be no surprises then. In fact you have dealer vs dealer battles via email asking them to beat each other

Yep, always negotiate the deal over email or text before you step foot in the dealer. Most recent deal I contacted the closest dealer to me and they ghosted me when I asked for pricing. Contacted the second closest dealer and the person replied with a picture of an itemized quote, the window sticker and their business card. I had to drive 20 mins instead of 5 but they got my business.

I won't step into a dealer again without a e-price and specific vehicle to look at. However if you use the online system, don't expect to walk in and get the same treatment. There different groups. When we bought our 2019 when we got there we had been assigned a sales person. He didn't look too happy about it at all. He literally sat in the back seat and talked to someone on his cell while the wife and I drove around. Fine with me, he didn't bother us once :).

I did buy the car, so worked out for everyone - well maybe not the sales guy because I assume he got no commission, but he did get free time to make his phone call.

Yup, my SRT was purchased for well below sticker, as was our 1500. IIRC, it was $20K savings on the SRT, which stickered at 94K.
My 2020 Rubicon was $5k under sticker. Do I think they were overpriced at the time - sure, never bought a vehicle that wasn’t…
Do I think it will be reliable? So far it’s stellar but at some point it will need something as will a Bronco etc … one of the tiny percentage of vehicles with amazing off-road prowess …
But I also knew they hold value and get emails once a week …

Vehicle advertising is always going to involve some kind of shenanigans. I've bought and sold/traded more than a dozen cars in my 30+ years of driving (gosh, that makes me feel old!) and not once have I felt like the sales person was 100% trustworthy, regardless of the brand. Some deals were better than others, some were not, but I've learned something from many of them.

The most recent purchase was an FCA product, my '22 Ram Ecodiesel Big Horn. The only reason I ended up buying it from the dealer that I did was because of their advertising it $5K under MSRP. Could I have gotten more off? Maybe, but after spending 2-3 hrs there already I figured I had pushed enough. Even though inventory was tight, they had 2 other identical trucks on the lot, so I got to choose exactly the model I wanted, and also got FCA's own financing of 2.9%

I've only recently started getting both emails and mail flyers about trade-in offers, but I have no plans to part with the truck. For it being my first pickup, my first new car, and my first Chrysler product, I have no complaints since I knew what I was looking for and knew what to expect. That might be where some people's issue actually lies: expectations vs reality.

My son traded Billy goats today 🙄

IMG_2114.jpg

'14 3.6 GC Overland. Paid $50K in June of '13.
89K miles now. Only repair, an oil pressure sensor.
11 Michigan winters, no body rust.
No ticks. No oil leaks.
By this mileage and age, I'd put over $1,000 into front end parts, water pump, and shocks on an '05 Trailblazer.

'22 3.6 GC Summit. Paid $62K in July of '22.
Only 10K miles. but flawless except for a free wheel alignment tweak.
Price increase seems reasonable to me given passage of 11 years and a more highly optioned and refined vehicle.

My Jeeps have been great.

Back