Inside North Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
CBC is garbage. Pro left bias because thats who gives them money. They should be privatized and maybe then id give them 1 cent of respect.

They are left biased yes but I would say left of center, but nowhere as near the far right biased as most other new agencies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
There's something I find fascinating about NK. How they are as isolated as they are (they aren't 100% like many believe). It's like they are stuck in the 50s. Really interesting.

I'd never want to visit or live there.

NK was the industrial hub of Korea before the war. Now they have to have industry as they are mainly self reliant but they also have free industrial zones where South Korean companies operate and they have a robust trade with China.

There is actually road travel between the North and South that doesn't get any coverage in media.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I wonder why the NOKO border guard was shot by his comrades while escaping/defecting to the South a few days ago....!

If he gets away, the other guards face execution for disobeying their orders to stop him.

Last edited:
For the others, I never said NK wasn't without it's issues or behind in terms of development. Just that it's not as bad as some news agencies like Fox/CNN and those type of spin-doctors make it out to be. It is still horrific and bad but that if it was reported in a fair manner there wouldn't be how it is being reported.

There's big military-industrial complex $$$ involved hence the reporting. You need public support for what is essentially a tremendous waste of resources.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
I've read blogs by tourists who visit NK and it's similar to the Youtube videos in the original post.

So I've come to the conclusion that, among many other topics, NK coverage in the US media is extremely biased and untrustworthy.

Wow. I guess the prison camps don't exist.

And this is just US propaganda: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/secret-state-of-north-korea/

It is PBS after all!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I've read blogs by tourists who visit NK and it's similar to the Youtube videos in the original post.

So I've come to the conclusion that, among many other topics, NK coverage in the US media is extremely biased and untrustworthy.

Wow. I guess the prison camps don't exist.

And this is just US propaganda: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/secret-state-of-north-korea/

It is PBS after all!

Similar camps exist in US and Canada, they're just empty, for now...

Originally Posted By: StevieC
For the others, I never said NK wasn't without it's issues or behind in terms of development. Just that it's not as bad as some news agencies like Fox/CNN and those type of spin-doctors make it out to be. It is still horrific and bad but that if it was reported in a fair manner there wouldn't be how it is being reported.

You should look for some interviews of Michael Malice on YouTube if you want to learn more about NK.

IBTL

All cities will have pockets of neighbourhood that appear to be similar to what we enjoy here in the developed world. I spoke to an army vet who served in Afghanistan. He told me the same thing. There are nice neighbourhoods even in a place like Afghanistan.

Having said that, there is no reason whatsoever to believe life is grand in North Korea. If such was the case, Otto Warmbier would still be alive today.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
An apologist thread for North Korea.

Wow...

x1000

You can take the most fantasy-ridden and totally wrong (like here) information and some will believe it.

I will say that NK will be drastically and forever changed in the next 3 years and the world will be better off.

North Korea has land borders with South Korea, China, and Russia. Ordinarily a country would find stability by making a trade and mutual defense alliance with at least one of its neighbors, but that can't happen in North Korea's situation. The other two wouldn't stand for it. It doesn't matter who is in charge there. The only role that that particular piece of land can serve is as a no-man's land between three superpowers.

Last edited:

You do realize that tourists are completely controlled 24/7 by a government minder who and are only shown the good stuff usually just around Pyongyang or field trips to staged and scripted farm visits, school visits, etc. It's all setup special nice, the routes that the government minders lead tourists on. What a tourist sees in NK is highly staged and scripted. And you'd better not try a practical joke like taking down a propaganda poster in your hotel, unless you want 15 yrs hard labor in a concentration camp, which you won't survive the first year of your sentence anyhow.

Mods' lock the thread. People aren't reading what I'm writing and just want to go off spouting. Done with it.

Thanks.

In before thread lock.
smile.gif

I will ask them to close since it went political. The only guaranteed way for a mod to see a post or thread is to hit the notify tab. Which is what I've already done asking for the lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back