Ever thought of taking out a parking lot gate?

I had a co worker that was leaving a chemical plant one evening and the security guard told him to pull over to the side for a " vehicle inventory " . He got so flustered that he didn't wait for the guard to raise the barrier , he just hit the gas and broke it off .

Dude really thought that was a good idea? Critical thinking and logic?

Probs shouldn't be in charge of planes that can hold 300-400 people.

I have been stuck in a parking garage for some time with the gate not working. There was someone ahead of me with a security guard saying it wasn't working or whatever. We waited about 45 minutes until someone else showed up that got it working.

I couldn't move because of the car in front of me. Good thing probably.

What is my obligation to wait? Is this not holding me against my will? I couldn't figure out why they didn't simply lift the gate. My wife wouldn't let me get out and "ask".

I have been stuck in a parking garage for some time with the gate not working. There was someone ahead of me with a security guard saying it wasn't working or whatever. We waited about 45 minutes until someone else showed up that got it working.

What is my obligation to wait? Is this not holding me against my will? I couldn't figure out why they didn't simply lift the gate. My wife wouldn't let me get out and "ask".
They would claim they "could have" fixed it in 5 and you wrecked it.

But you could bring up the truth.

Good luck with that, and yes against your will.

Again? Are we married to the same woman?

I’ve got several Gransfors Bruks. Wonderful axes. I assure you that parking lot gates aren’t the reason I own them… 🤦‍♂️
YET !!!;) Axes make people do strange things. Today I think I will Sharpen my axe just incase!

So, had he been a thinking man, he would have simply driven his car through the gate, breaking the gate off, and then claiming extreme fatigue due to working 72 hours straight...

Oh, wait, the airlines don't do that to their pilots.

I was leaving a hotel parking lot recently and the credit card type parking pass they gave me wouldn't work to raise the gate. I tried and tried for a couple of minutes and was either going to have to wait for another vehicle to come up behind me as see if that driver's card would work or I thought about trying to force the gate open by hand. I ended up pressing the "Help" button on the box with the card reader hoping a human would answer. But right after I did, the gate opened. Maybe that's the trick that one should try when the gates won't open ?

I was leaving a hotel parking lot recently and the credit card type parking pass they gave me wouldn't work to raise the gate. I tried and tried for a couple of minutes and was either going to have to wait for another vehicle to come up behind me as see if that driver's card would work or I thought about trying to force the gate open by hand. I ended up pressing the "Help" button on the box with the card reader hoping a human would answer. But right after I did, the gate opened. Maybe that's the trick that one should try when the gates won't open ?
The old ones at least were counterweighted and you could lift them open fairly easily. The lift mechanism of the cheap ones is likely just a cheap gear motor. I am talking about parking gates, etc, not security gates. Of course you needed a couple people, one to lift, one to drive through. I have had security guards lift the gate by hand for me, telling me it was broken.

So, had he been a thinking man, he would have simply driven his car through the gate, breaking the gate off, and then claiming extreme fatigue due to working 72 hours straight...

Oh, wait, the airlines don't do that to their pilots.
Denver flying on his airplane is often back to back red eyes to Hawaii. So, fatigue? Perhaps.

I worked in the maintenance department of a south east Pennsylvania hospital. We had a similar gate. It was broken by drivers every week. It was made of painted wood. Generally broke off at the mounting. The carpenter would cut off the broken part, drill new holes and remount. By the end of the month it had to be replaced as it would be ~ 23" long. Always on a monitoring camera.

People would just drive thru the gate without regard to auto damage

Where I went to school the campus traffic was controlled by gates. When someone pulled a fire alarm, the city fire department would just roll straight down the one way street and bust through the gate (full code, with lights and sirens). I stopped to watch once - the driver gave me a hold my beer look and sent it flying about 3 feet onto the sidewalk. (This just confirmed that firefighters run a bit different).

By the end of the semester, after it was nipped down a few times, you could drive around the gate with a normal size car.

A younger Wings&Wheels may have stayed out too late, knowing that a certain lot did close and would be unattended. Always carrying a basic tool kit in my DD (then a VW Quantum GL5...remember them?) came in handy as. surprisingly, there were a few non-security fasteners on the gate and problem solved.

Always expected a slap from that one, but I never heard anything :D

Last edited:
"Arrested the next day..."
Doesn't that give the guy's system the time to clear itself of, say, alcohol or angry drugs?
He's probably a pillar in his community.

A squeezed tube of toothpaste with the cap still on, or some slob who just learned he had to bail his brother out of jail?

Does she have a long lost step sister by chance? 😒

Last edited:

Your wife wouldn't let you ? ... omg .

I'm thinking of when I might have considered breaking down a gate to get out if I otherwise couldn't. There hasn't been much word on why he wanted to smash that thing down, as it appeared to be working. I was thinking maybe he lost a key card or something.

I used to work in a downtown area near a lot of activities, and we had monthly parking paid for by the company. It was fine for me to stay late so I didn't need to find parking, and theoretically we could leave our vehicles there overnight if we weren't worried about needed our vehicles when it was closed. I think I kept my car there a couple of times when we went on business trips. . However, there were a few situations where I was thinking I had to leave the garage early, such as when I attended a rock concert nearby. Or at a nearby theater. Once I went to that theater where they had a post-show meet and greet with the cast, and they specifically noted that they arranged with the garage (that I used) to stay open an hour longer, as it was commonly used by theater patrons.

Not sure what I could have done. They would have locked the entrance and brought down a sliding door.

Back