If 10mm is ok for bears, why not 357 mag?

A 10mm full size autoloader with a compensater will allow you to put several hardcast lead flat nosed pills that can penetrate 50" or so of tissue into a target with relative controlability in a short period of time. The revolver is usually slower for most people, even if it has a ported barrel.

Interesting...today I spoke to my client regarding my 2024 contracts and I'll be out in the camp I work in this summer for a week in June. They will be providing bear firearm training the first day and I get to participate...time to purchase that Gloc 10mm...just need to go have a look (Cabela's), they have a smaller frame one that looks good. They will provide all the ammo at camp. Will get it soon so I can get some time on it before the trip in July. Will be great to get training on this and be more confident in dealing with this situation.

Interesting...today I spoke to my client regarding my 2024 contracts and I'll be out in the camp I work in this summer for a week in June. They will be providing bear firearm training the first day and I get to participate...time to purchase that Gloc 10mm...just need to go have a look (Cabela's), they have a smaller frame one that looks good. They will provide all the ammo at camp. Will get it soon so I can get some time on it before the trip in July. Will be great to get training on this and be more confident in dealing with this situation.
This, I presume.

Mine is a Glock 20. Even with big hands, it’s a brick of a gun. I’ve got several 10mm 1911s and they’re much handier to shoot.

This, I presume.

Mine is a Glock 20. Even with big hands, it’s a brick of a gun. I’ve got several 10mm 1911s and they’re much handier to shoot.
Yes thats the one I'm interested in. Short frame.

Chest holster.

Hot ammo.

16 shots, make them all count.

But really grizzes will mostly mind their own biz. I will be on Kodiak in May. Daughter #1 in Juneau, #2 in Kodiak.
I thought he was referring to the grip size - the Glock 20 (and 40) use the same magazine - and the grip is quite large in order to accommodate that big magazine holding 15 rounds of 10mm. I like my G20 - but it is a noticeably larger grip than any other gun I own.

I thought he was referring to the grip size - the Glock 20 (and 40) use the same magazine - and the grip is quite large in order to accommodate that big magazine holding 15 rounds of 10mm. I like my G20 - but it is a noticeably larger grip than any other gun I own.
SF use the same mag as well. I have 2

Thing is I don’t have a 40. I made mine from a LW frame.

So the question is: the 40 the size of SF or not? Looked at the Glock site and was not apparent

The G21 is the same size frame - XL, in my opinion. It’s great to get 13+1 rounds of .45ACP but there is a trade off in the size of the magazine, and the grip needed to accommodate it.

I love the feel of a good single stack 10mm - a 1911, or a 3rd Gen S&W. They fit my hand perfectly. I enjoy taking them to the range.

The real “vs. bear” question comes down to the same old question: how well does the shooter/weapon/ammo combination perform?

The 10mm might be the perfect cartridge, but if the shooter/weapon interface is problematic due to hand/grip fit, then that isn’t the best combination for that shooter.

My preference is to carry a G20, but I shoot the gun well, despite its bigger size. Further, the external safeties built into the other options (like a 1911) reduce its desirability for defensive purposes.

SF use the same mag as well. I have 2

Thing is I don’t have a 40. I made mine from a LW frame.

So the question is: the 40 the size of SF or not? Looked at the Glock site and was not apparent
I can’t tell from Glock’s site, either.

Several internet site opinions (I know what those are worth, but…) suggest that the G20 and G40 have the same grip.

There's a Glock 29sf for mini hands like myself.
I’ve shot a G30 - in .45ACP. Controllable, shoot able, but not a beginner’s gun.

Personally, I can’t get my pinky around the grip, it hangs below the grip, and the gun feels “wrong” to my hands. I would want a Pierce, or other magazine/grip extension, to get just a bit more purchase on the gun if it were mine.

I am not picking on Glock - they build a wide variety of frame/cartridge options - and there is a Glock for every purpose, but that G30 was not my favorite shooter.

I can shoot and enjoy a 1911 all day long. But a couple magazines through that subcompact .45 and I was done with it. Not as bad as a Desert Eagle in .50 but the same idea - too much effort detracts from the fun.

I’ve shot a G30 - in .45ACP. Controllable, shoot able, but not a beginner’s gun.

Personally, I can’t get my pinky around the grip, it hangs below the grip, and the gun feels “wrong” to my hands. I would want a Pierce, or other magazine/grip extension, to get just a bit more purchase on the gun if it were mine.

I am not picking on Glock - they build a wide variety of frame/cartridge options - and there is a Glock for every purpose, but that G30 was not my favorite shooter.

I can shoot and enjoy a 1911 all day long. But a couple magazines through that subcompact .45 and I was done with it. Not as bad as a Desert Eagle in .50 but the same idea - too much effort detracts from the fun.

I've actually never handled any of the Glocks with those super small frames. I did rent a Glock 20 at the range and the recoil was pretty strong, I can't imagine the recoil on a smaller frame. I couldn't really think of the G29SF as anything more than fulfilling a very niche role, like having to conceal carry in bear country.

Agreed. The Glock 36 (single stack compact .45) is even worse.

I had a Glock 40 G4 MOS, we developed a strong dislike for each other quickly, i found it akin to grasping a brick.

Agree with Astro, 1911 and 10mm go together like ham and cheese..

I’d use my BEAR hands to repel it! It’d be un bearable but he’d think twice about messing with me! Just kidding..,I’ve seen many black bears up close in Northern NJ and they aren’t so cute and cuddly. I’d go with the G20 for the capacity, but bigger is usually better within reason.

IMG_6052.jpeg

IMG_0939.jpeg

IMG_0938.jpeg

For years there has been a debate about the "best" bear repellent caliber. Many have said "44 mag is the minimum" While others say "10mm is best". Why would 357 mag not be proper if 10mm is satisfactory?
I would not want either, but if it came down to it, I would go 10mm, not for power, but for mag capacity. Good question, never thought of it in that way.

Back