I don't know how some people survive..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cluelessness is nothing new and doesn't necessarily indicate intellectual ability below the normal range.
Some people are good intuitive thinkers and planners while others require precise written guidance and documentation.
I know which sort of person I'd rather have working under me, but I have three of the latter and none of the former.
Another point is that those who never develop their intuition never realize that they have it.
I myself work intuitively and it's served me well over the decades.
It's also usually pretty easy to find a way to any given destination near or far with only a quick view of a map and no GPS required.

I'm getting sidetracked here, apologizing in advance.
Copernicus was preceded by Aristarchus of Samos. Yes I looked it up(remembered something from junior high but certainly not the spelling!)by about 1600 years.
I.Q. tests are subjective enough to be useless(where's my proof?)
A map is great when you remember to bring your reading glasses.
An introductory course in symbolic logic would jump start the synapses(and induce dread).

I think the body shop at work is fairly easy to find given the numerous signs, but a lot of people can't find it unless you lead them directly to it, and even then you'd think you're teaching rocket science to a toddler. To quote Beavis, "some people are dumb."

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I think the body shop at work is fairly easy to find given the numerous signs, but a lot of people can't find it unless you lead them directly to it, and even then you'd think you're teaching rocket science to a toddler. To quote Beavis, "some people are dumb."

I get a good laugh everyday when people pull in passing a sign that says "service next entrance", park, walk through a set of doors with an awning that says "PARTS", then ask "is this service?" Then when I tell them service is the next driveway over most ask "Do I have to bring my car?" To which I usually answer "Generally yes, service needs your car to work on it."

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Really, I don't believe that to be true. The Classic IQ test is graded on a bell curve, a score of 90~110 covers just over 50% of the population and is described as "Average Intelligence". Because it's graded on the bell curve, someone who tested @ 100 in, say, 1990 may not test @ 100 in 2018, but if he did, he would have maintained "average" intelligence over that time.

what you believe doesn't have to be right.

Up until Copernicus, a LOT of people were wrong.
And the Church threatened him with dire punishment if he didn't recant his silly heliocentrism. The good book said fixed and eternal and that was that. Three hundred an some years later, Copernicus was declared to be right after all and all was forgiven.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

I get a good laugh everyday when people pull in passing a sign that says "service next entrance", park, walk through a set of doors with an awning that says "PARTS", then ask "is this service?" Then when I tell them service is the next driveway over most ask "Do I have to bring my car?" To which I usually answer "Generally yes, service needs your car to work on it."

Yep! I guess signs were made to be ignored.

At one point I made a nice "YOU ARE HERE" map and put it on the front door, and also had copies on the counter that people could take. That didn't help either; if anything it made it worse because it reinforced the idea of the parts counter being the main help desk for the whole dealer.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Yep! I guess signs were made to be ignored.

At one point I made a nice "YOU ARE HERE" map and put it on the front door, and also had copies on the counter that people could take. That didn't help either; if anything it made it worse because it reinforced the idea of the parts counter being the main help desk for the whole dealer.
33.gif

Are you in charge of coffee also? I not only don't drink coffee but the smell makes me physically sick, so they put me in charge of it. This is the sign I used to get out of caring about it.

Back before smart phones and such I used maps.
I used to measure houses for floor coverings.
So i would call and make an appointment and verify the address.
They would ask if i needed directions and i would say no I have a map.
Then they would say well heres how to get here.And proceed to give me left and right turns with no idea what direction I was coming from.
I would ask is that left east or west?
Reply would be i dont know just make a left.

Originally Posted By: supton
I see your point, but, has human nature really changed? I'm wondering if these people existed in the past, in the same proportion, but less visible as there was less for them to not understand and/or be able to do.

They existed, but were usually the first to get too close to a volcano, get eaten by saber tooth tigers, or slaughtered by Vikings.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back