Bummer - Still Working

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
I went into the store today and saw a new employee.
She was around 55-60 yo.
I walked to the counter and noticed various issues with her.
She was very shaky and a bit aloof. I assumed a brain injury-stroke and the poor lady
shouldn't even be working but like many she probably has no choice.

My small purchase was $14.85, and you could tell it took everything for her to say it. Far worse
than words can convey.
I didn't want her to either as I quickly put a $20 bill in her hand and walked off.
This is a bummer. No way this lady is able to work. Someone like her needs help unlike many who receive it.
It has got me bummed out. Very sad.

I sympathize with the situation, but it's hard to say what are her motivations, feelings, or reasons for being there. Your impressions may be true, or alternately, for all we know it may be that she wants to be there, out in the real world interacting with people, and is tired of seeing other people's facial expressions & body language indicating they feel uncomfortable and sorry for her. Or anything else.

"Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad." - Longfellow

I sympathize with the situation, but it's hard to say what are her motivations, feelings, or reasons for being there. Your impressions may be true, or alternately, for all we know it may be that she wants to be there, out in the real world interacting with people, and is tired of seeing other people's facial expressions & body language indicating they feel uncomfortable and sorry for her. Or anything else.

"Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad." - Longfellow
I think the motivation is to stave off homelessness. Or maybe also get health care if she is not part time.

I went into the store today and saw a new employee.
She was around 55-60 yo.
I walked to the counter and noticed various issues with her.
She was very shaky and a bit aloof. I assumed a brain injury-stroke and the poor lady
shouldn't even be working but like many she probably has no choice.

My small purchase was $14.85, and you could tell it took everything for her to say it. Far worse
than words can convey.
I didn't want her to either as I quickly put a $20 bill in her hand and walked off.
This is a bummer. No way this lady is able to work. Someone like her needs help unlike many who receive it.
It has got me bummed out. Very sad.
Good for her, she may not need the money. She may have had an assistance/ Job Placement Assistance and wanted to work. This reminds me of my local Target store. One of the cashiers who has work there for the last five to maybe ten years is in a motorized wheelchair, missing both legs below the knee and has a deformed left hand shows up and earns a paycheck. He's always there.

Good for her to be still productive if that is her wish.
Good for her, she may not need the money. She may have had an assistance/ Job Placement Assistance and wanted to work. ...
None of us know of course, but I do hope that it is her wish.

I feel fortunate to have a job solving intellectual problems, even though I worked hard for years to get there not everyone has the opportunities that I did. However, in the past I have worked shoveling animal excrement, washing dishes in restaurants, delivering pizzas, working in factory assembly lines, etc. Doing work of any kind is honorable and worthy of respect, as it contributes something back, fulfilling a basic duty to our fellow people and the society that we all live in and benefit from.

My nephew's mother-in-law is working as a greeter in her 70s. My nephew and his wife think she likes to work.

In fact she lost all of her money to a scammer in some get rich quick scheme and has to work. Her second husband lost half of his money in the same scheme. Never put all of your assets in any investment no matter how good it sounds.

I'm glad the store is giving her a shot.

Way too much REAL age discrimination today, obvious and people over worry about the alphabet soup stuff.

In her case, unknown if health issue or life decisions.

Interestingly yesterday I was inspired by a younger gal who has lost over 150 pounds and got off the antidepressants.

I hate to bring this up but 55-60 ISN'T old. I know more now at this age bracket than I've ever known in my life, I've seen more, done more, and discovered more at this stage of the game than at any other time in my history.

If the good Lord is willing I have another quarter century ahead of me. Don't pity the old, there are many who never get to experience it.

I hate to bring this up but 55-60 ISN'T old. I know more now at this age bracket than I've ever known in my life, I've seen more, done more, and discovered more at this stage of the game than at any other time in my history.

If the good Lord is willing I have another quarter century ahead of me. Don't pity the old, there are many who never get to experience it.
I noted her age only. I'm older than her...just to clarify

None of us know of course, but I do hope that it is her wish.

I feel fortunate to have a job solving intellectual problems, even though I worked hard for years to get there not everyone has the opportunities that I did. However, in the past I have worked shoveling animal excrement, washing dishes in restaurants, delivering pizzas, working in factory assembly lines, etc. Doing work of any kind is honorable and worthy of respect, as it contributes something back, fulfilling a basic duty to our fellow people and the society that we all live in and benefit from.
Good for you. You did it because you needed money and had to work for it, like many of us older folks. My daughter is a manager for Trader Joes and she tells me the young people that apply at her store have no clue how to work. They never worked. Even college grads. There is no self starting. If there is a box in the aisle, they have to be told to pick it up. Of course there are a few willing to work and know how. Many of us on here had PT jobs in HS and college and during summers. When we hit the work force we had an understanding of work.

Knew an rather old lady in the neighborhood up North. Dressed like a refugee from Europe after WW2. Had a shopping cart and spent her days picking up discarded soda and beer cans for the 5 cent deposit. I knew for a fact she was living in an older and cheap apartment while sitting on no less than a $500k bank account which eventually went to her kids. Ya never know.

@Zee09 this bigger lesson here is that you showed compassion. Something that the world lately is lacking a lot of! It's hilarious when people say they are "kind and caring" but then you see them do the opposite.

I had to look it up.. A quote from John Wooden..

“The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching.”

― John Wooden

Anyway, thanks @Zee09 for making the world a little brighter today! (y)

Back