Bummer - Still Working

@Zee09 this bigger lesson here is that you showed compassion. Something that the world lately is lacking a lot of! It's hilarious when people say they are "kind and caring" but then you see them do the opposite.

I had to look it up.. A quote from John Wooden..

“The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching.”​

― John Wooden

Anyway, thanks @Zee09 for making the world a little brighter today! (y)
Thank you sir. You made my day brighter as well and I appreciate it and your words...

Some people truly enjoy working. I do feel sorry for this lady though. We have this mechanic at my shop who is 80 years old and he does great. Still very mobile too. He is a funny guy and really brings joy to the shop. He is the one who I mentioned I was helping setup the iPhone for so he could talk to his grandkids in the Philippines as he has no family here. He still works because he enjoys it but also had to pay for his kids and grandkids to move to the Philippines just because he wanted too. He has worked at my company since 1985. It’s great to see him still getting around he says he would be very bored if he retires granted it takes him forever to work but no one rushes him to do anything. This lady does sound like she should be not working though but like you said probably not by choice unless she just truly enjoys doing it. If I’m still working at 80 it definitely won’t be in a shop. Probably somewhere like a parts store or something easy.

@Zee09 this bigger lesson here is that you showed compassion. Something that the world lately is lacking a lot of! It's hilarious when people say they are "kind and caring" but then you see them do the opposite.

I had to look it up.. A quote from John Wooden..

“The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching.”​

― John Wooden

Anyway, thanks @Zee09 for making the world a little brighter today! (y)
But that quote doesn't really apply if you then post about it on the internet for strangers to read. Lol

Wow, I encountered almost the exact thing last week. Wife and I sit down at a buffet. We pass through the line, pay and get empty cups. The server comes around and read our ticket and filled our drinks. She was a somewhat frail looking 60-65 y.o. lady who walked with a noticeable limp. She was very polite to us and we reciprocated. At the end my wife left the table and went to the ladies room.

I sat alone and the server walked up and asked if there was anything else we needed before we go. I said no, but if you don't mind I would like to ask you a personal question. I told her I did notice her limp, and asked her if she was OK. A tear welled up in her eye, and she said she has needed a hip replacement for several years but doubts she will ever be able to get one. She said she just manages every day the best as she can. I had to think of the 20 and 30 somethings too lazy to work at all, and who demand to skip out on their loans they owe. Sad world we live in.

Wow, I encountered almost the exact thing last week. Wife and I sit down at a buffet. We pass through the line, pay and get empty cups. The server comes around and read our ticket and filled our drinks. She was a somewhat frail looking 60-65 y.o. lady who walked with a noticeable limp. She was very polite to us and we reciprocated. At the end my wife left the table and went to the ladies room.

I sat alone and the server walked up and asked if there was anything else we needed before we go. I said no, but if you don't mind I would like to ask you a personal question. I told her I did notice her limp, and asked her if she was OK. A tear welled up in her eye, and she said she has needed a hip replacement for several years but doubts she will ever be able to get one. She said she just manages every day the best as she can. I had to think of the 20 and 30 somethings too lazy to work at all, and who demand to skip out on their loans they owe. Sad world we live in.
That bothers me a great deal.
I see too much of that daily..

I have a cousin who is 74 and she had to go back to work because of inflation and she really isn't able..

There’s lots of great success stories out there and also a lot stories where things didn’t work out as well. For those who didn’t get what they had hoped, once they accepted that, they could readjust their lifestyle and still be happy.

It’s not uncommon for well educated people to want keep going way past 65 and it’s not necessarily because they squandered their wealth.
Absolutely correct.

Physicians and especially lawyers often work well past age 65.

I threw in the towel at my real job at age 66 1/2 but continued consulting for 3 more years. I could have retired at age 50 or 55 but I was having fun, working on interesting projects that made a difference, working with and for good people, and was making a bundle. How do you retire early in midst of all that.

Back