HPL fleet usage plan.

I don't see this talked about all that much. What exactly is the benefit of HDEO vs (say) the basic PCMO? Why and where does one choose one over the other? I think I have my mind (small as it is) wrapped around the other offerings from HPL but the HDEO I'm still a little confused about.
HDEO doesn’t place artificial limits on phosphorous or other anti-wear agents. This theoretically (as long as the oil is formulated properly) gives a significant “cushion” compared to limits imposed by API SN, SN+, or SP.

Multiple off the shelf cheaper oils are capable of 10k intervals depending on the engine and driving circumstances. Highway miles is the easiest on oil and wear especially on vehicles that do not see any heavy work loads.

It would be more cost effective to use an off the shelf oil again depending on the engine and work load of their choosing and save that additional oil out of the HPL drum for one of their heavy work load vehicles such as the one towing 10,000 lbs daily.

this thread was not intended on “asking” for anyone’s blessing on moving our fleet to HPL rather a testament to HPL’s customer service. even the truck that drives mostly highway miles hooks up to 10k lbs atleast weekly.

I love it.

Every other thread on the forum: What oil should I run in my Escape. I change at 6k. I am also the Little Old Lady From Pasadena.
Replies: Dude you should really use HPL

This thread: I talked with HPL and am switching our vehicles that actually see a lot of hard duty and we will end up saving a good bit of time and labor.
Replies: Man, you should use Mobil. HPL is too cost inhibitive.

The OP Mentions Fleet and he should have just used - As Cheap as possible. Sorry to offend anybody here but maintaining fleets of vehicles costs money.
Even using the Amsoil argument of negating a routine oil change to save money by utilizing a stronger oil doesnt make alot of sense to many fleet managers who track time in leu miles. Its easier to just change the oil more often then determine which vehicle out of 100 is due for its X,XXX mile oil change.

If the OP is looking to use HPL (a fine oil) in a demanding scenario, use it in a vehicle that sees track use, tows heavy loads or something that is going to be demanding. Not with the intent of pushing the OCI further, that just deosnt make as much sense in a fleet application or a way to prove or disprove an oil.

I just dont see the argument. My vehicles (construction transport vans mostly) get an oil change every 6 months with whatever bulk oil we buy. Typically 10w-30. Is it great, no. But the bodies and interiors fall apart much more often than internal engine components. Cost wise, fleet vehicle oil change is $20-$30 , so $60 a year. A HPL oil change once a year is more than that. In the instance where contamination or damage does exist, the oil is getting changed negating any savings.

Just one guys opinion.

EDIT: *Hope this isn't seen as bickering. I view this as an unfortunate and unclear comment by Moderators*

The OP Mentions Fleet and he should have just used - As Cheap as possible. Sorry to offend anybody here but maintaining fleets of vehicles costs money.
Even using the Amsoil argument of negating a routine oil change to save money by utilizing a stronger oil doesnt make alot of sense to many fleet managers who track time in leu miles. Its easier to just change the oil more often then determine which vehicle out of 100 is due for its X,XXX mile oil change.

If the OP is looking to use HPL (a fine oil) in a demanding scenario, use it in a vehicle that sees track use, tows heavy loads or something that is going to be demanding. Not with the intent of pushing the OCI further, that just deosnt make as much sense in a fleet application or a way to prove or disprove an oil.

I just dont see the argument. My vehicles (construction transport vans mostly) get an oil change every 6 months with whatever bulk oil we buy. Typically 10w-30. Is it great, no. But the bodies and interiors fall apart much more often than internal engine components. Cost wise, fleet vehicle oil change is $20-$30 , so $60 a year. A HPL oil change once a year is more than that. In the instance where contamination or damage does exist, the oil is getting changed negating any savings.

Just one guys opinion.

EDIT: *Hope this isn't seen as bickering. I view this as an unfortunate and unclear comment by Moderators*
The OP wants to use HPL, let him do what he wants. I have said this before, do not attack HPL Oil's unless you have used their oils. The 1 thing about this Forum is that we, well at least me, are looking for the best oils out there. The OP is going to do UOA's and we will see what he posts from these UOA's.

Just one guys opinion.

He is just sharing his plan and not asking for guidance, nor, he probably gives a crap about the cost. Some people drink the cheap Kirkland Vodka and call it good and some go for the Beluga.

As was stated earlier in the thread, the cost of having the trucks down more frequently for oil changes is much higher than the cost difference with HPL. When the trucks aren't moving, they're not making money. If you can double the oil change intervals, cutting down time in half, that's a big deal.

Its easier to just change the oil more often then determine which vehicle out of 100 is due for its X,XXX mile oil change
you need to look into Samsara telematics. expensive upfront cost but the tracking and feedback it gives is unparalleled. there is no wondering which or when a vehicle is due and not relying on field hands to say it’s at its OCI. i get a notification at 1000 miles out from an oil change (that is how i know to keep it local and not get sent out of town for a month) then 500 miles. at 500 miles i schedule it to come in the week prior for service. all tracking is done through the OBD2 port with live vehicle data.

again, as stated more than once, i do not care what you do with “your” fleet. our vehicles are the only way we make money. keeping them on the road longer = more money.

I love it.

Every other thread on the forum: What oil should I run in my Escape. I change at 6k. I am also the Little Old Lady From Pasadena.
Replies: Dude you should really use HPL

This thread: I talked with HPL and am switching our vehicles that actually see a lot of hard duty and we will end up saving a good bit of time and labor.
Replies: Man, you should use Mobil. HPL is too cost inhibitive.

HPL oil is great. It's likely the best passenger car motor oil at any price. It can fit the OP's situation if he want's to keep those vehicles for at least 10 years and limit the # of oil changes to keep the vehicles in use longer between service.

Just one guys opinion.

I’ll disagree. And I already stated why.

Selling on price and buying on price alone is a bad metric for a fleet supervisor.

Update

the first truck got an 8 quart sump of PCEO 5w-30. the fram endurance that was run with the EC30 came back looking good. filter caught some junk.

IMG_5994.jpeg

IMG_5998.jpeg

IMG_5997.jpeg

OP/BrendanC: this filter is the endurance? Did you cut and post it or am I slow today? I Thank You and like your fleet plan. Don’t listen to naysayers. Rdy4WAR And others give you great info and advice. Keep going sir. 👍🇺🇸🇨🇦🍺
it is the FE10575 from yesterday

The OP wants to use HPL, let him do what he wants. I have said this before, do not attack HPL Oil's unless you have used their oils. The 1 thing about this Forum is that we, well at least me, are looking for the best oils out there. The OP is going to do UOA's and we will see what he posts from these UOA's.
It wouldn't be BITOG if you didn't attack things you know nothing about.

Back