HPL fleet usage plan.

BrendanC

$100 site donor 2024
talked to David this morning. we came to the conclusion that normal PCEO should allow our fleet of chevrolet trucks (5.3 LT’s, 6.0 LY6’s, 6.6l L8T’s) to double our current OCI of 6k miles to 12k. going to test in a truck that sees 90% highway miles at 120 miles per day, a truck that idles 14 hours a day, and a truck that moves 10k lbs daily. will send samples out at 6k, 10k and 12k to validate that we aren’t beating the oil up.

trucks will be run with EC 30 and mobil 1 EP at the appropriate dosages for 3k miles then filled with the PCEO. each vehicle will be using a Fram Endurance FE10575

can’t say enough about David and the HPL team. had a quote for a drum of PCEO 5w-30 in less than a day.

Short of some manner of mechanical weakness (coolant leak, fuel leak, intake leak ...), I think you'll find 12k miles is a walk in the park for HPL. There are more severe applications than yours going further than that distance using HPL PCEO.

PCEO is the product I'm using for my extended OCI testing; just installed a fresh batch in my ES350.

For fleet use - that sounds expensive. Dont most off the shelf synthetics guarantee 10,000 miles +?

We have Express 3500 vans with 4.3L, 5.3L and 6.0L that have over 200,000 on bulk semi syn every 6 months. I couldnt imagine doing oil changes that are 3x the price. The vehicles just simply dont warrant that.

I think its a nice idea, but at least in my case, the almighty dollar leaves this as an idea.

Short of some manner of mechanical weakness (coolant leak, fuel leak, intake leak ...), I think you'll find 12k miles is a walk in the park for HPL. There are more severe applications than yours going further than that distance using HPL PCEO.

PCEO is the product I'm using for my extended OCI testing; just installed a fresh batch in my ES350.
i would push for more, but it’s a good time for the trucks to come in, get greased, air filters changed, PS, coolant, and trans fluid checked/topped off. at 12k we are saving money on oil, labor, and the logistics of swapping trucks around.

For fleet use - that sounds expensive. Dont most off the shelf synthetics guarantee 10,000 miles +?

We have Express 3500 vans with 4.3L, 5.3L and 6.0L that have over 200,000 on bulk semi syn every 6 months. I couldnt imagine doing oil changes that are 3x the price. The vehicles just simply dont warrant that.

I think its a nice idea, but at least in my case, the almighty dollar leaves this as an idea.
i won’t run any off the shelf oil to 10k. fleet or not, it’s just not going to happen.

The ‘19 Express 2500 6.0 LS seems to go about 6000-6500 on the OLM, so 12K seems doable on a high quality synthetic. HPL sounds like really good oil-but how much more will the PCEO cost than, say, M1EP? My Indy does a 6 qt. Service Pro 5W30 Dexos oil change so cheaply (~$50) with a Service Pro XL filter that I just let him do it any time the OLM gets below 10%, and he rotates tires, checks all fluids, brakes, lubes any fittings, for another $20.

The ‘19 Express 2500 6.0 LS seems to go about 6000-6500 on the OLM, so 12K seems doable on a high quality synthetic. HPL sounds like really good oil-but how much more will the PCEO cost than, say, M1EP? My Indy does a 6 qt. Service Pro 5W30 Dexos oil change so cheaply (~$50) with a Service Pro XL filter that I just let him do it any time the OLM gets below 10%, and he rotates tires, checks all fluids, brakes, lubes any fittings, for another $20.
it’s not just the oil cost here, the logistics in paying people to go swap vehicles around or holding vehicles back for maintenance.
our trucks by themselves make money per day. the people that they transport make money per hour. the gear inside them makes money per day. less down time equals more profit.

doing the math here, 5 quarts of mobil 1 EP goes for $42 at AAP. that comes out to $8.47 a quart. with HPL, in drum pricing it comes out to $9.05 a quart. $0.58 difference per quart BUT, it’s able to run double the interval, saving money on filters, my labor (it isn’t cheap) and all the things above about swapping vehicles around it is a no brainer. not only is it actually saving money, the trucks are getting better protection for longer.

on top of all above, we are able to support a USA owned and operated company that operates on morals to produce the highest quality product possible for their consumer.

Last edited:
it’s not just the oil cost here, the logistics in paying people to go swap vehicles around or holding vehicles back for maintenance.
our trucks by themselves make money per day. the people that they transport make money per hour. the gear inside them makes money per day. less down time equals more profit.

doing the math here, 5 quarts of mobil 1 EP goes for $42 at AAP. that comes out to $8.47 a quart. with HPL, in drum pricing it comes out to $9.05 a quart. $0.58 difference per quart BUT, it’s able to run double the interval, saving money on filters, my labor (it isn’t cheap) and all the things above about swapping vehicles around it is a no brainer. not only is it actually saving money, the trucks are getting better protection for longer.

on top of all above, we are able to support a USA owned and operated company that operates on morals to produce the highest quality product possible for their consumer.
I think the HPL oil would be a smart move considering a heavy duty commercial application. Who knows maybe you will be able to stretch it out to 15k. Anyways AAP, AZ, NAPA name brand oils jugs are a rip off. Walmart is always cheaper by A LOT! Mobil 1 EP can be had for $27-29 5qt all day everyday and twice on Sunday. Currently there is a large sale if 3 pack 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 EP and others roughly $24 a jug.

I think the HPL oil would be a smart move considering a heavy duty commercial application. Who knows maybe you will be able to stretch it out to 15k. Anyways AAP, AZ, NAPA name brand oils jugs are a rip off. Walmart is always cheaper by A LOT! Mobil 1 EP can be had for $27-29 5qt all day everyday and twice on Sunday. Currently there is a large sale if 3 pack 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 EP and others roughly $24 a jug.
it comes down to how it works. they don’t want to pay me to run parts. they pay a dude that can’t really spell his own name much less pick out grades of oil/filters. i just do what the bean counters approve of.

But the same Mobil 1 EP at Walmart is like $27. Why not order large quantities from them online instead of buying from AAP?

But the same Mobil 1 EP at Walmart is like $27. Why not order large quantities from them online instead of buying from AAP?
they don’t want a bunch of lose 5 quart jugs everywhere. it’s not a mechanic garage, it’s out cooperate office. still at $5 a quart, they will still be saving money at double the OCI on oil alone.

talked to David this morning. we came to the conclusion that normal PCEO should allow our fleet of chevrolet trucks (5.3 LT’s, 6.0 LY6’s, 6.6l L8T’s) to double our current OCI of 6k miles to 12k. going to test in a truck that sees 90% highway miles at 120 miles per day, a truck that idles 14 hours a day, and a truck that moves 10k lbs daily. will send samples out at 6k, 10k and 12k to validate that we aren’t beating the oil up.

trucks will be run with EC 30 and mobil 1 EP at the appropriate dosages for 3k miles then filled with the PCEO. each vehicle will be using a Fram Endurance FE10575

can’t say enough about David and the HPL team. had a quote for a drum of PCEO 5w-30 in less than a day.
Sounds like a good plan. Keep us posted.

Tipping the ball in HPLs favor to the budget board :D

Hopefully no one sends them this 👀

Screenshot_20240127-084502.jpg

Reactions: hrv
simple math must be difficult for some :ROFLMAO:

Even at $4.86 (this is pre-sales tax) a quart, at double the OCI’s it still comes at cheaper with HPL on oil ALONE. this doesn’t account for all of the other things mentioned above.
I feel like you're biasing this toward HPL just because you want to, which is perfectly fine, but Mobil 1 can be purchased by the drum too.

As for refusing to run Mobil 1 EP (or Castrol Edge EP, or similar) to 10,000 miles, that's a personal choice that's rooted in nothing substantial. I don't know why your confidence level is so low in that oil. I don't really care what you do, it's not my money or situation, but writing off valid options that are even more economical, when making changes to be economical in the first place, seems silly to me.

I feel like you're biasing this toward HPL just because you want to, which is perfectly fine, but Mobil 1 can be purchased by the drum too.

As for refusing to run Mobil 1 EP (or Castrol Edge EP, or similar) to 10,000 miles, that's a personal choice that's rooted in nothing substantial. I don't know why your confidence level is so low in that oil. I don't really care what you do, it's not my money or situation, but writing off valid options that are even more economical, when making changes to be economical in the first place, seems silly to me.
cheapest i could find with a quick search, and isn’t EP just normal Mobil 1 5w-30. a drum of HPL delivered to our office came to $1991.70. it may be bias, but getting better protection over longer intervals is also a factor. if you aren’t worried about where the money is going, why are you bringing up mobil 1 in a thread titled “HPL fleet usage plan”?

IMG_5487.jpg

Ok, so this thread is just for you to get on a soapbox and say, "I am using HPL".

Cool. That's what the recent oil change and recent oil purchase threads are for already. You don't need our validation on your switch to HPL.

Also, you literally bought up Mobil 1 in your original post, but then question why I'm bringing it up in this thread like it's the first time anybody mentioned it?

Last edited:
Ok, so this thread is just for you to get on a soapbox and say, "I am using HPL".

Cool. That's what the recent oil change and recent oil purchase threads are for already. You don't need our validation on your switch to HPL.
this wasn’t for a blessing, just stating the plan. thank you.

Comparing retail to distributor cost is absurd. Stop comparing HPL’s drum price to quart or 5 quart jugs. If a Mobil distributor like Brenntag wanted to get down and dirty on a drum of Mobil 1, believe me, they could. And blow everyone’s price out.

The reason you’re buying from HPL, as stated in OP, is the service they’re providing. It’s why you buy from any oil distributor - service service service.

Your oil budget is approximately 2% of your maintenance spend on a fleet level. Saving a few cents isn’t a big deal here or there. The service, is a big deal. Running HPL - much like any high quality oil - will extend oil drain intervals. With HPL’s team, OP will get continued service better than most. From oil analysis, to simply getting the product.

Back