How often should I replace Oil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replace the oil filter every time you change the oil
smile.gif

There seems to be some info out there suggesting the filter is more efficient as it gets older. With your mileage, the filter is probably doing more good at 6K miles that it is at 3K, particularly if it's a top quality filter. I wouldn't go 6K on a QuickLube Service Ctr filter. Regardless, if the OEM requires 6 month oil and filter changes, that's what I'd do until warranty was up. Either that or reset your OLM and do what you want.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
I can not imagine leaving a filter full of dirty oil to mix with the new oil.

It's roughly 3% of the total oil volume, with roughly 2500 miles on it. Neither the engine nor filter will ever notice. But it's your money, so whatever you choose for your vehicles is the right choice. Just know that in 99% of other vehicles, both the oil and filter would stay on the car for several thousand more miles.
smile.gif

girlfriends 13 malibu LS OLM knows little, yearly changes with a 6 month filter + OLM is just reset whenever it comes on, it matters not as IMO OLM are [censored]!!! on the 6 month filters wondering if the contaminants many note with DI engines is the reason!! my traded 2001 jetta got yearly oil changes regardless of miles + 6 mo filter, oil was said to be PAO at that time!!

Last edited:
Lots of different answers here. If it was me, I'd do the six month engine oil changes but use a Fram Ultra (good now for up to 20K miles) for two intervals so you change the filter once a year. Anyone who thinks that 3,000 miles use on Pennzoil synthetic and the 6-8 ounces of it that may remain in the filter could possibly be the cause of an oil related failure should have his head examined. Any lawyer worth his salt would take your case if needed on a denied warranty claim.

Save all receipts and keep a ledger or spreadsheet documenting all your services. Dealers will have no chance to dispute this.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
There seems to be some info out there suggesting the filter is more efficient as it gets older.

I haven't seen any technical paper that says oil filters get more efficient with use. If you have links I'd like to see them.

I did however see a technical paper from Purolator/Mann+Hummel that showed efficiency can decrease with use as the filter loads up and the delta-p increases.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
There seems to be some info out there suggesting the filter is more efficient as it gets older.

I haven't seen any technical paper that says oil filters get more efficient with use. If you have links I'd like to see them.

I did however see a technical paper from Purolator/Mann+Hummel that showed efficiency can decrease with use as the filter loads up and the delta-p increases.

It's a trade off between flow and filtration. When your filter is brand new, it allows max flow, and the least efficient filtration. Engine air filters work the same way. The more dust they pick up, the better the filtration, and the harder it is for fine particles to make it into your engine. At some point the D/P is too high where replacement is required. Same concept should apply to oil filters.

California link

Honda Corp recommends an oil filter change every 2 OCI's. They wouldn't do that if filters weren't getting more efficient, while allowing adequate flow. Just don't go way beyond the life-rating of the filter. State of California employs the same concept on its vehicles. The same concept is often discussed here and employed by Bitog members. Another way to look at it is that a nearly fully clogged filter won't let any particles by...and not much oil either. From a particle efficiency removal standpoint it's quite high...at the expense of high D/P and low oil flow. Somewhere in between each end of the spectrum is optimum effic. with proper oil flow.

I have never had an engine failure under warranty there is a thread running now on this subject. take the time to read it. I use FCA spec oil, mopar filter and change it to spec. actually 5000 miles. if there is an issue, it's not going to be over whether I could read and understand what the manufacturer recommends or waste time and money trying to prove my choice was as good as FCA, JMO

I have been told that air filters for air handlers also become more efficient at filtering , as time of use continues and they gradually become " clogged " with dust .

As has been stated , the pressure drop across the filter rises correspondingly .

I suspect this applies to all such filters .

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
I have been told that air filters for air handlers also become more efficient at filtering , as time of use continues and they gradually become " clogged " with dust .

As has been stated , the pressure drop across the filter rises correspondingly .

I suspect this applies to all such filters .

Air filters and oil filters don't quite act the same when they start getting clogged up. There is hardly any delta-p across an air filter compared to an oil filter. As the delta-p increases it can causes trapped debris to get dislodged from the media. Here's an example that Purolator/Mann+Hummel showed in a technical paper.

I haven't seen any technical paper that says oil filters get more efficient with use. If you have links I'd like to see them. I did however see a technical paper from Purolator/Mann+Hummel that showed efficiency can decrease with use as the filter loads up and the delta-p increases.

It's a trade off between flow and filtration. When your filter is brand new, it allows max flow, and the least efficient filtration. Engine air filters work the same way. The more dust they pick up, the better the filtration, and the harder it is for fine particles to make it into your engine. At some point the D/P is too high where replacement is required. Same concept should apply to oil filters.
California link
Honda Corp recommends an oil filter change every 2 OCI's. They wouldn't do that if filters weren't getting more efficient, while allowing adequate flow. Just don't go way beyond the life-rating of the filter. State of California employs the same concept on its vehicles. The same concept is often discussed here and employed by Bitog members. Another way to look at it is that a nearly fully clogged filter won't let any particles by...and not much oil either. From a particle efficiency removal standpoint it's quite high...at the expense of high D/P and low oil flow. Somewhere in between each end of the spectrum is optimum effic. with proper oil flow.

Thanks for the link, but it says nothing about how the efficiency of an oil filter can change with time - like what I showed above from Purolator/M+H. Like said above, there is way more delta-p across an oil filter over time as it gets loaded up, and that can cause trapped debris to dislodge. There was another thread a while back that talked about pressure pulsation testing and how one company touted how their media was able to hold onto trapped particles much better than the average oil filter thereby releasing less trapped particles as delta-p pulsations occurred across the media. Keep in mind that not all media may behave like the graph posted above, but I'd venture to say that trend probably happens with most oil filters.

Also, the way that ISO 4548-12 calculates the efficiency of an oil filter, it takes the average of the efficiency from the start to near the end of the test, so an oil filter that is rated at say 99% @ 20 microns has less of an efficiency decrease rate as it gets loaded up over time.

I don't think you can find any reliable technical articles that show that an oil filter gets more efficient, expect right at the end of it's life just before the bypass valve wants to open. If anyone can find and link sources that show oil filters get better with use, then I'd like to read them.

Your link however does support what I've always said about high efficiency oil filters ... that the cleaner you keep the oil the less engine wear there will be. That same logic can be found in dozens of technical papers.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Blue I thought you'd say leave that sucker on for at least 3 runs
lol.gif

LOL, yeah it sounds like he's in for at least a 2X FCI.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Blue I thought you'd say leave that sucker on for at least 3 runs
lol.gif

LOL, yeah it sounds like he's in for at least a 2X FCI.

Just cap it off and call it a day!
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back