Change Oil Filter Every Year Regardless of Mileage?

The service manual for my car says to replace the oil and filter every 15,000km (9300mi) or one year after the last change.

I don’t drive the car much so the mileage is well below 15,000km when I reach one year after the last change. So I have been replacing the oil every year but I wait until I reach 15,000km before changing the filter, which is about once every third oil change.

I figure it is unnecessary to replace the filter before I reach 15,000km because the filter will not deteriorate over time like oil does because it is made of metal and media material. Also , a filter actually performs better as it gets dirty. It blocks smaller and smaller particles the dirtier it gets (provided the bypass doesn’t open).

What do you think? Is it necessary to change the oil filter every year, regardless of the mileage since the last change?

Embarrassing but one year I drove 270 miles on a car (one could argue not a wise financial decision but we love our toys). I didn’t change the oil after 1 year. Car is garaged and even the mfg has a 2 year interval programmed into the car’s computer. So I changed the oil and filter at about 1,000 miles and 2 years.

What do you think? Is it necessary to change the oil filter every year, regardless of the mileage since the last change?

Yes, I would push the OCI to around 14-15 months (or how ever much you are comfortable with) and change the filter at the same time.
Give us more info about your vehicle, driving habits, oil and engine.

Last edited:
The service manual for my car says to replace the oil and filter every 15,000km (9300mi) or one year after the last change.

I don’t drive the car much so the mileage is well below 15,000km when I reach one year after the last change. So I have been replacing the oil every year but I wait until I reach 15,000km before changing the filter, which is about once every third oil change.

I figure it is unnecessary to replace the filter before I reach 15,000km because the filter will not deteriorate over time like oil does because it is made of metal and media material. Also , a filter actually performs better as it gets dirty. It blocks smaller and smaller particles the dirtier it gets (provided the bypass doesn’t open).

I think the big test on here showed that not to be entirely true. The more the filter loads up it gets less efficient after a certain point. Also, I would state what filter you use for better responses. If it's an extended mileage or wire backing filter then it should be of high quality & last the mileage you state without any issue.

My concern is that the glues could disintegrate over time.

Danger of a cellulose filter is absorbing too much moisture & potentially losing structural integrity. Not a problem with a full synthetic oil filter.
Very few are synthetic, most are blends.

I'd recommend both your oil and filter annually. It's easy to remember.
Also there is no need for expensive products. A Fram Extra Guard filter and 5 Quarts of Quaker State oil at WalMart will be around $24.

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

I use the OEM filters. They are about CA$20 (US$15). I can afford it, but I just don’t like spending money if it isn’t necessary. I will check the manufacturer’s recommended service life for the filter, that’s a good point. The filter is a VW 06J115403Q or Mann W 719/45.

I use Castrol Edge 0W40 synthetic oil.

The car is a 2013 VW GTI, with the EA888 Gen 2 CCTA engine, which is 2.0l, turbocharged, dual camshafts, vane-adjustable variable intake valve timing.

I put on about 5,000km (3,000 mi) per year. I don’t typically take short trips. When I do get in it I like driving it, so even if I don’t need to go far I usually end up driving around more than I need to. It’s pretty much all city driving but I regularly take it on the ring road and open it up for a minute or so, bringing it up to about 160km/h (100 mph).

The case is made of metal, but the medium is paper or some other synthetic material, THEY do the filtering not the case.
Paper wetted and dried if unused will become brittle and shred in small pieces, I don't know about the synthetic material, but I bet it
doesn't help to sit ther unused after filtering. Is it worth the risk for the price of a filter?

I think the big test on here showed that not to be entirely true. The more the filter loads up it gets less efficient after a certain point. Also, I would state what filter you use for better responses. If it's an extended mileage or wire backing filter then it should be of high quality & last the mileage you state without any issue.
Danger of a cellulose filter is absorbing too much moisture & potentially losing structural integrity. Not a problem with a full synthetic oil filter.
My concern is that the glues could disintegrate over time.

Very few are synthetic, most are blends.
The case is made of metal, but the medium is paper or some other synthetic material, THEY do the filtering not the case.
Paper wetted and dried if unused will become brittle and shred in small pieces, I don't know about the synthetic material, but I bet it
doesn't help to sit ther unused after filtering. Is it worth the risk for the price of a filter?

The filter I use is a VW 06J115403Q (Mann W 719/45).
Do you know what kind of media this filter has?

Back