Skipping oil filter change

You will not see any advantages in running the Amsoil oil or their filter in your service time or miles.

You will not see any advantages in running the Amsoil oil or their filter in your service time or miles.
I'm running their OE line which is their OEM drain OCI economy line. I can get the Amsoil filter for $10 which is $2-3cheaper than a fram endurance or wix xp and equal in price roughly to a standard wix. I don't see the need to change brands when the pricing for an oil change with similar quality oils is close in price.

I’m pretty sure the Amsoil filter is about as good as it gets aside from a Fram endurance. Why would you call the Amsoil a cheap filter. Doesn’t seem to be of cheap quality.
I dont believe I mentioned Amsoil filtersin my post , I was thinking more like fram extra guard. Im not going to run one of those a year , and doing a couple oil changes on it.

I‘m on my third and final 4K OCI on the old style Fram Ultra on my Focus due to the PITA to remove belly pan on it. Subaru has the easiest top side oil filter to change of any manufacturer so I’d change it every time if I owned one. Shame on Ford for not putting an access panel like the one on my daughters Mazda to make OCs easier....I can only think Ford did this to discourage DIY people like me.

If you putting top of the line filter, there is no reason to change it every 5k miles. In some cases like fuel dilution it makes sense to change oil more often. In this case oil filter can be changed every other time, especially if you bought extended interval filter.

I change filter every other time. 5000 for the oil, 10,000 for the filters. Never, ever a problem. Ever.
(The Amsoil filter is probably good for 20,000, or 18,000 in your case.)
I do this on our Passat; 5K OCI, 10K filter. The filter on the VR6 Passat is a PITA to replace. Besides having to remove the under engine body tray, the filter is tightly surrounded by wiring that you must forcibly move out of the way, and even so the wiring gets oil all over it when you pull the filter.

That said, if the filter is easy to R&R I replace them every OCI.

Scott

So I’m considering changing my engine oil filter every other oil change and like some input. So my 2021 Subaru Outback 2.5 NA averages roughly 6k miles a year. So it gets an oil change every 6 months/ 3k miles. Currently running Amsoil OE 0W20 and Amsoil EA15K13 filter. I don’t mind spending $10 every oil change for a filter so cost isn’t an issue. However I feel like I’m tossing a good filter out too early. No I’m not going run a cheaper filter. I’m sticking with the amsoil filter.
I would definitely leave that filter on for a second oci at that low of o’clock mileage. I leave cheap supertech filters in wife’s van for 2 10k ocis cause they’re rated for 20k. Ive done this on multiple vehicles for years. I’ve never had a failed filter personally.

So I’m considering changing my engine oil filter every other oil change and like some input. So my 2021 Subaru Outback 2.5 NA averages roughly 6k miles a year. So it gets an oil change every 6 months/ 3k miles. Currently running Amsoil OE 0W20 and Amsoil EA15K13 filter. I don’t mind spending $10 every oil change for a filter so cost isn’t an issue. However I feel like I’m tossing a good filter out too early. No I’m not going run a cheaper filter. I’m sticking with the amsoil filter.
Good Morning,
To help you choose I've included my "Oil Filter Value Analysis" database below. Scroll over to the column headings titled:
"MULTIPLE OEM OIL CHANGES COST, PERFORMANCE & FEATURES". The analysis is based on a 2021 Subaru Forester Limited with a 6,000 OCI.

You'll find the top three ranked based on performance and price are:
1. Fram Ultra Synthetic and Fram Endurance tie for the top honors
2. Fram Tough Guard
3. SuperTech Extended Life (blue can)

Enjoy the shopping!

Back