How many here race their vehicles?

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Define "racing," please.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Not unless you count putting the pedal to the metal all the way to Arby's at lunch time.

Ehhh. Lunch time is usually very busy and congested roads.. The morning commute more closely resembles the Indy 500.

Again, depends on what we are calling "racing".. good point, and you'd be surprised how fast pretty much every car around you is. Some engines are not forming carbon deposits...

images (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Back when I had a 1968 Dodge Charger with a 440 and a six pack that i put on I would drag race it at Thompson Drag raceway northeast of Cleveland Ohio... The best time was 12.04 at 107 mph. It had 323 rear end gears with a 727 trans. I also would race my 1973 Plymouth Road Runner with a 440 ..I replaced the 400 that came with the car.. It had a single 4 barrel holley with 391 gears . The best for this was a 11.68 forgot the mph.....It was a fun time in my life....

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Define "racing," please.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ehhh. Lunch time is usually very busy and congested roads.. The morning commute more closely resembles the Indy 500.

Again, depends on what we are calling "racing".. good point, and you'd be surprised how fast pretty much every car around you is. Some engines are not forming carbon deposits...

View attachment 147580
Testing the limits of your vehicle. Could be 1/4 mile or any other track type driving.

Testing the limits of your vehicle. Could be 1/4 mile or any other track type driving.

Well, we are in agreement.. I can get one of the cars I have to set code P1270 having found what it's speed limiter is.

A lot of the cars you see on the road are.. faster than you think they would be .

Sure.. cue the "THAT IS SO UNSAFE! MY OH MY" comments. And you're not wrong.. just calling what I see? And there are many cars you wouldn't expect to be what you would call.. "quick." It is important to know when to just let something go, as to on the road.... could be a whole another thread about that so I will stop there.

What are the Possible Causes of the Code P1270?
Wheel slippage (water, ice, mud and snow)
Excessive engine RPM in neutral
Vehicle drive at a high rate of speed

Edit: It will be an honor to take my car to an SCCA "Spectator Drags" event and I don't care if they wipe the floor with me, I'm actually interested. It's on my list of things I really want to do. I call it under the category of putting on a good show.

Last edited:
Don’t think SCCA will let me autoX my truck…. Otherwise I absolutely would be out there in it, I know it wouldn’t be competitive, but it’s still fun. I’m patiently waiting to buy something for autoX, just a few more years and both vehicles will be paid off.

Got to autocross a car that was in “extreme street A”, man that thing was wicked fun.

Autocross my 2017 VW GTI. Our club, SCCA South Carolina, runs monthly either in Charleston or in the parking lot of Darlington Speedway. I have even had the opportunity to run the high banked oval in a controlled run, and was able to get the GTI up to 100 MPH. Let me tell you the banking is steep.
305450697_1300292937449835_7892271656000358822_n.jpg
I

Don’t think SCCA will let me autoX my truck…. Otherwise I absolutely would be out there in it, I know it wouldn’t be competitive, but it’s still fun. I’m patiently waiting to buy something for autoX, just a few more years and both vehicles will be paid off.

Got to autocross a car that was in “extreme street A”, man that thing was wicked fun.

Reading on the new Dodge Demon 170 and it made me wonder how many here race their vehicles?

What vehicle do you race and what style of racing do you do?

I have never officially raced any vehicles I have owned.
Those supercharged Hellcats were made for drag racing. In the past I drag raced a Chrysler 300C with the small 5.7 L Hemi. Fun times.

No racing here. I like powerful V8’s, but for the most part, I just like to get out of the way quickly if I find myself in a compromised position.

I drove them hard back when 82hp was the norm. I had one Subaru with a top speed of 82 mph. Those days taught me a lot because you had to learn how to wring every bit of power out of it you could. But with every other v6 making near 300hp, it’s a different game, too easy to get into trouble. I’ll take corners hard from time to time but that’s about it.

Starting with my 1973 Bavaria at Watkins Glen in 1988, every car on my side of the garage has been driven at HPDEs, an autocross, or a drag strip- sometimes all three. The C43 hits the strip in a few weeks.
Go fast or go home.
1680322762001.jpeg

1680322837940.jpeg

1680322928548.jpeg

I took the Genesis to the strip once. It ran a 14.3 second 1/4 mile at 98 mph, was a little bummed, Car & Driver had one do it in 13.6 seconds. Oh well, still plenty of fun. That car had plenty of power but the throttle and transmission response right off the line was not aggressive at all. If there were a tune for it it would have really woken up.

On the right was an Ecoboost F150 that could not get traction.

1338AF3C-5761-451B-BE9F-F8C94277A7EA.jpeg

049D7ECF-8DBA-4DAA-9292-105EDE581C15.jpeg

Every time I drive then.

c’mon, in a 99 Camry, its not that hard… taking an intersection at posted limit, that’s like 9/10’s for the average Camry driver. Add in a base I4 with an automatic, and highway merging can be an WOT affair.

:)

Back