Why so many cars in one family or person?

I wonder what’s the reason that Americans to have 2-3 or more vehicles ? Longer distances ? Poor public transport? 2 -3 children?
Because it’s time consuming thing to maintain so many cars, expenses, looking for new ones…
I have 3 F150’s, a jaguar F-type, X-type and an airplane. Plus an ATV and a small motorcycle. It’s not enough 😂

Horses for courses, as the British say. Here's how my garage specs out:
Clubman- Daily driver/commuter car
Wrangler- For tasks around the farm and for when winter weather is really extreme, plus it's a hoot to drive
318ti- Weekend toy/garage queen; owned since new, three pedals, no hole in the roof and no intrusive nannies
C43- Comfortable and reasonably quick, its a irrationally fun Q-ship
X1- Wife's car; surprisingly entertaining due to the M Sport suspension

However, plans are in the works to replace the Clubman and Wrangler with a Wrangler 4xe- in the interest of saving the planet...

Again, what does that have to do with the NUMBER of cars you own. You can only drive one at a time.
Well... the five people in our household need their own vehicles as we are dependent on them for working, school, etc. It seems reasonable to have a spare, too, between the five is. That puts us at the national 1.2 cars per driver. Not sure what else to tell you.

Those of us with an automotive hobby will generally have multiple vehicles. This isn't just a US thing though.

My friends/ family that are not into the automotive hobby mostly just have one vehicle.

1 per driver isn't enough, not when they start to get older and random things happen randomly to the older car. And you still need to get to work or school.

In college I lived within bicycling distance of school and a grocery store. Was really nice--until temps got down to 10F (-12C), then that was a real test of the willpower! Cold, snow, rain... was only 4 miles but still. Now I don't have neighbors right next door nor traffic going by at all hours of the day (I know you get used to it but still, is nice to be alone in the backyard).

I can’t legally fit my family of 7 into a Corolla. I’ve also never seen anyone try to feed hay out of the trunk of a Corolla, although I did see my uncle use an old Ford LTD land yacht to do so. Sure I could use a team of horses and wagon like the Amish if I had to but I feel like a truck, a cheap commuter car and a mini van aren’t a ridiculous amount of vehicles in my situation.
There are many big families in poor countries using small vehicles.
My point is, we could all do that, but, we don’t have to. Economic prosperity allowed that.

I spent 2 weeks in England this summer and was so culture shocked at how the cities work. Everything is walkable or you can take the bus, subway, or train. We don't hardly have that here. And even if we did, everything is so spread out.

I live in the 5th largest city in the U.S., about 5 million people in my area. I cant hardly walk anywhere except a fast food place and I live in the middle of the city. I have to drive pretty much everywhere. In England, people would buy a couple things from the market everyday for groceries little by little and carry their bags. In the U.S. we shop for a week or so and fill the trunk of the car with groceries.
When I moved to the US from Europe I gained 25lbs in two months.
When I go back, if not work related, I eat more, I pretty much replace blood with alcohol, yet, I lose weight.

You can have 2 cars, the next day you have one because of a crash, then the next day the transmission goes out on the other one.
Then your choice is an expensive rental car, so maybe a number 3 is a good idea? Then depending on where you live and what the crime is like, having a few cars that run and move sitting around is a great deterrent. The whole of the how many cars argument should be based on simple logic. Point 1 things break, back up cars are a good thing compared to a rental car. A few weeks of rental car will buy you a junker to drive in an emergency.

What do any of these replies have anything to do with the number of cars somebody owns??? Yea, we have a big country, but we can only drive one across it at a time.
I am only showing that Texas is not the size of Europe. You just didn't pay attention to the thread.

Many people don’t realize how large the United States is. To put it into perspective, you can put the whole continent of Europe in the state of Texas and Europe will only stick out some around the edges. Look at a map or a globe of the world and you’ll see what I mean.

Also it’s often that, where people live is a long distance away from where they need to go. And we often have many people in the household going in different directions all at the same time which illuminates collusive ridesharing.

We do love our vehicles(sports cars & pickup trucks) and I personally have had as many as five vehicles at once with a minimum of two cars in our household which is what we have now that we’re retired. We have our daily driver and a car that my wife and I have been storing for 43 years to use for the summertime.
That isn't correct. Europe is almost 15 X the size of Texas!

Europe is larger than all the U.S.

Europe has a bigger land area 3,910,680 sq miles than the U.S. 3,531,905 sq miles

Last edited:
You can have 2 cars, the next day you have one because of a crash, then the next day the transmission goes out on the other one.
Then your choice is an expensive rental car, so maybe a number 3 is a good idea? Then depending on where you live and what the crime is like, having a few cars that run and move sitting around is a great deterrent. The whole of the how many cars argument should be based on simple logic. Point 1 things break, back up cars are a good thing compared to a rental car. A few weeks of rental car will buy you a junker to drive in an emergency.
I think I have had 2 vehicle's all of my life, going back to a teenager.. once married it became 3,4 or more.
throw in the idea I commuted about 50k miles a year for nearly 20 years
and that I drove beaters, I pretty much had to have 2, just for myself, not for extended family.
one of my cowrkers is in the same boat.
he can buy a new car in about 5 years it is past 250k.. if you live like that you need more than 1 car.

you sure about that second sentence. :)
I edited it. Yes, a quick google search will confirm. I meant to say Europe is almost 15 times the size of Texas.
The population of Europe is also over 2 times the USA.
Europe is a continent that consists of 50 countries.
Ukraine is one European country which would be about the same size as the state of Texas.

Last edited:
I edited it. Yes, a quick google search will confirm. I meant to say Europe is almost 15 times the size of Texas.
Ok. how many European countries have more land area than Texas. Texas seems like it is about 800 miles across at the wide point and darn near as tall as it is wide.

So, lifestyle, fun, freedom, I see.
In Europe we’re using bikes in the city and cars for going out of the city. I don’t talk about professional drivers, delivery, construction etc. and of course public transport is very well developed.
As for biking. Europeans forget that the US sits at much lower in latitude than Europe. The majority of the country falls on the same latitude as Italy, Turkey, N Africa and the Middle East. The summers are very hot and humid, or hot and dry.

On other thing about density. The US being such a young country didn't have to build dense but easily defensible cities to protect people during the Dark/Middle ages. Feudalism wasn't a thing.

Last edited:
Back