How many here race their vehicles?

Reading on the new Dodge Demon 170 and it made me wonder how many here race their vehicles?

What vehicle do you race and what style of racing do you do?

I have never officially raced any vehicles I have owned.

Define "race". I used to compete in SCCA, mostly autocross and some track events. SCCA autocross is one car at a time, not considered "racing" for legal or insurance purposes. But it's super fun and you can learn serious driving skills. But before attending track events it's best to check with your insurance company.

The Demon 170 is a lead sled, so the kind of racing would likely be 1/4 mile drags. In many areas, local racetracks have a 1/4 mile drag strip that opens to the public on certain days so you can have your fun in a legal and safe manner.

I confess to drag racing a rental car once. Does that count? I might even still have the timeslips.

Define "race". I used to compete in SCCA, mostly autocross and some track events. SCCA autocross is one car at a time, not considered "racing" for legal or insurance purposes. But it's super fun and you can learn serious driving skills. But before attending track events it's best to check with your insurance company.
Yes it counts....what vehicle?

Yes it counts....what vehicle?
A '95 RX-7 (SCCA super stock) and a '99 Panoz Roadster (SCCA A modified). With the Panoz, I had the only car in A modified that was street legal and didn't come to the event on a trailer.

Evo I did a bunch of HPDE, 1 AutoX event, a lot of 1/4mi, and 1 ice "race".

Haven't since I sold the Evo back in 2015.

Last edited:
No more, I can't afford the expense. When PBIR/Moroso was still around, (4 miles from my house) I would find myself on the road or drag strip from time to time.... Did some fun stuff at Limerock, CT, Mid Ohio back in the day, Pocono, and Homestead.

Back