Why so many cars in one family or person?

Most places in the USA it's not that public transit sucks, it's that it does not work because of the lack of urban density - despite wasting billions of dollars. There is no way any kind of train or even smelly ass bus is going to do much good out here in the county.

But yes, two of us, two cars. Well a small truck and a fuel efficient small SUV car CRV. Big deal. Need the truck for property care and feeding goods. Use the CRV for all kinds of trips.

I think smug Europeans think Americans are wasteful and such and that tends to be a stupid stereotype.

I have three bikes does that count?

One car just would not work for us at all.

Last edited:
2 Drivers 2 cars here. We are both retired but consider that each car "belongs" to one person, although either of us will use either car. My wife likes her Grand Cherokee and we use that for getting grocerie sand other items, towing the boat and having the car seats in the second row for the grandchildren. I like my VW GTI which we use for most transportation including out of town trips, getting around town most of the time, and the monthly autocross I race in, WE had 3 cars not long ago but my Chrysler 300C was lost in a flood (sad day, what a nice sedan for highway cruising.

This doesn’t have anything to do with the size of the country, but way we built cities, especially since 1950’s. Even the US cities were dense for a long time. Old US cities had public transportation etc.
There are reasons why we decided to built cities like this, and topic will be locked if I go there.
Most Americans don’t travel across the country. Many never left the state. But they must have two cars if couple wants to work and have anything resembling quality of life, where after work activity doesn’t include another couple of hours to pick up spouse.

I'm on a farm, so I need a pick-up, but I don't want it to be my DD. We have a couple of 'runabouts' for that, plus the family car. Do we NEED four vehicles? No, but it works for us, for now.

For a bit I had 5 cars with 4 drivers (7 vehicles if you count the 2 motorcycles), but am back down to 4 cars and 1 motorcycle for 4 drivers.

I have a 21 year old F150 and a motorcycle.
Wife has a 5 year old Hyundai SUV.
Each kid has their own car (13 and 11 year old Scion's).
I had a 5th car (19 year old Hyundai) for a bit when my son bought his own car (I kept this one since I bought).
All are paid off (and have been for years).
Was nice having the "extra" vehicle.
$40/month for insurance and gas was $0-50/month depending on how much it was driven.
I let a friend borrow it for a week or so when they had car issues; daughter used it when her A/C went out; sister used it when she came into town; I would use it on longer trips (almost twice the MPG of my truck).
Ended up giving it to a nephew in medical school who is recently married and a new kid and needed a second vehicle.
I could probably get away with getting rid of my truck and use just my motorcycles for daily use and borrow my wife's vehicle when I needed it, but my truck cost me about $1,300 a year for insurance, gas, maintenance and repairs.
And I like my truck.

As many have said, in the suburbs and rural areas, a vehicle for each driver is almost a must.
No such thing as "mass transit" in many areas of the US.
Even around me (8 miles to Houston City limits), it is 4 miles to a bus station that can get me into Houston's transit system.
And if I actually want to get anywhere in a timely fashion, forget it.
Even something you would think of as simple as getting to the Texas Medical Center is anywhere from 90 minutes (taking a bus then transferring to the light rail) to 2 hours (using a different bus station about 8 miles away from the first one, but is direct to the Medical Center). This is a 33 mile trip. Even in the worst traffic, it takes me 90 minutes to drive, and good day is around 40 minutes (again, the best mass transit can do is about 90, and that is only on weekdays, weekends have fewer trips, so would have to wait longer for a bus).

I think this is also a part of the issue so many have with mass transit, it is on their (mass transits) schedule, not yours. The closer to the city centers you get, the more convenient it becomes, but further out, not so much.

As for size comparisons, it is not just Europeans that don't understand how vast the US is.
I work with a lot of Philippino's and when they have family that visits, they seem to want to visit New York, Florida, The Grand Canyon, California, any other points in between, all while driving from the Texas Gulf coast; they are here for maybe 2 weeks.

I wonder what’s the reason that Americans to have 2-3 or more vehicles ? Longer distances ? Poor public transport? 2 -3 children?
Because it’s time consuming thing to maintain so many cars, expenses, looking for new ones…

More vehicles is fun. If you like to collect things, it fills that void. If you can insure them cost effectively, why not?

Thing is, it’s kind of not time consuming…. If I drive vehicle b or c instead of vehicle a, I’m not putting miles on it. I’m spreading west and tear, and maintenance timelines. Sure, if you’re a stickler for 3 month oil changes no matter what then you may do more. But generally, maintenance goes further out, tires and brakes get spread across more vehicles, etc.

Another factor is honestly we have excess area to park them. I know folks who live in urban areas tend to limit vehicles due to parking availability. You live in rural areas end up like my parents with 4 vehicles for 1 driver. They simply would never sell vehicles although my dad finally sold 2 during height of Used car peak prices for half what he paid 15 years ago. The third was a 200k 2000 Forester given to nephew as first car.

Because I can. Not completely true, but just wanted to say that.

I have 6, but I also have 4 drivers in the house. Each person has their daily driver for work and/or school.
I don' the the heart to part with the Trans Am. So I drive it in the summer on nice days and the truck is for towing one of my 3 trailers (travel trailer, 22 foot boat, and Submarine parade float.) None of them require much maintenance. Actually the boat is the biggest drain on my soul.

This doesn’t have anything to do with the size of the country, but way we built cities, especially since 1950’s. Even the US cities were dense for a long time. Old US cities had public transportation etc.
There are reasons why we decided to built cities like this, and topic will be locked if I go there.
Most Americans don’t travel across the country. Many never left the state. But they must have two cars if couple wants to work and have anything resembling quality of life, where after work activity doesn’t include another couple of hours to pick up spouse.
I prefer driving when the trip is on this (eastern) half of use USA. We take a plane if going west. SC to PA has been like commuting. Left Charleston at 5:30 one AM and had dinner at 5 PM with my parents.

I prefer driving when the trip is on this (eastern) half of use USA. We take a plane if going west. SC to PA has been like commuting. Left Charleston at 5:30 one AM and had dinner at 5 PM with my parents.
Most people don't drive that long.
I remember teaching some classes at one university in the Southeast some 12-13 years ago. 2hrs from ATL. I would ask freshman class every semester how many of them had ever been to ATL, 60-70% of the class had never been there.
I personally drive a lot. We could fly, but where is the fun? We are going in 8 days to Chicago for a week, this year we already did a 4,000mls road trip. But, we are most definitely a minority.

This doesn’t have anything to do with the size of the country......
Most Americans don’t travel across the country. Many never left the state.
That's a good point. I have four cars not because it's a big country, but because I choose to have that many. I have a daily driver, a winter beater, and two "hobby" cars". I can only drive one at a time, so I'm not using any more gas than I would otherwise.

I own three, a 2022 Corvette, a 2013 BMW diesel X5 SUV, and a Lexus RX350. I am the sole driver at this time.

The Corvette is a personal toy. It is used for fun, not transportation. About 4000 miles a year, from April to November.

The BMW is my actual transportation for errands and overnight trips.

The RX350 was my wife's car. She passed away recently. I am holding on to it as it has low mileage and I will drive it when the BMW leaves the driveway for good. I don't know when that will be. The BMW currently has 94K miles on it, and runs well, but the ongoing maintenance on it is not cheap.
Hey man, I’m so sorry for your loss. I can’t imagine…

Just 2 or 3? Here in Houston if you're from south of the border its required to have at least 12 cars per house, with 4 of them parked on the lawn

Back