Why so many cars in one family or person?

The hobbyist/enthusiast aspect of owning multiple cars is a legitimate reason. "Because I can" is also legitimate". To me, multiple car ownership becomes questionable when it results in living beyond one's means to the point of causing an unpleasant life. I.E., having to work an unreasonable amount (giving up other important life factors) to be able to pay the additional insurance, maintenance costs, etc. surrounding that luxury. I just don't get it - living a "rat race" lifestyle in order to have possessions beyond one's means, sacrificing other quality of life factors (family, fishing, & fun, etc.). I also prefer the idea of keeping fewer, better condition cars vs. more cars that require LOTS of upkeep. Those that LOVE working on cars are exempt!

Because I’m a collector of many things and one of those things is vehicles. You always need extra vehicles. Currently only 4 of our 8 are running and one doesn’t have reverse so it doesn’t get driven much. Unfortunately both of my main vehicles are getting the wheels run off of them. The exhaust just fell off of one but I have to drive it as my truck is being used by pops daily because his car basically is done for. I want to fix the others but don’t have time. I’ve been trying to fix my classic Beetle too. If we didn’t have all of these vehicles someone would be walking. It bothers me that my truck gets driven daily because it’s a low mileage truck for its age and everything gets messed up inside but I guess it beats dad walking even though I want to tell him too most times since he can’t follow rules in my truck. I want to drive my car with no reverse but can’t risk getting a ticket for the expired inspection or I’ll loose my ability to inspect cars. Also can’t risk it getting stuck somewhere. So it’s definitely worth it having extra cars.

My family owns 6 cars currently. A 2007 sprinter for my parents and many siblings to drive around in, a 2002 Jetta TDI because my mom works an hour away and because it gets 40 mpg, a truck to pull my dad's work trailer, a diesel bmw and matching aluminum trailer to replace my dad's truck (we'll still keep the truck so we can tow the bmw home) a Saturn that we gave away years ago and it was returned to us because it's a real POS, and my Mitsubishi Montero because my parents don't like me driving their cars, i don't like having money, and I like offroading. We also have 3 trailers, a 50cc scooter, a lawnmower (but no lawn) and 8+ bikes.

Back