How bullet proof is Toyota's 3.5 V-6?

Prove they aren't...

In your scenario you could substitute cylinder deactivation or start/stop or any number of things in place of turbo. Yes today’s engines are more complicated but they have been on that path for a long time now. I would be more worried of getting into an accident or have the vehicle stolen instead of worrying about engine failure.

Prove they aren't...
You started the thread indicating that you wanted to get a NA motor b/c you feel they are more reliable/will last longer. I questioned that assertion. You told me to prove that turbos are as reliable. I ask you the same. I posted a funny meme. While it is certainly true that you can't break a turbo if you don't have one, I'm not convinced in 2023 that a turbo engine won't last as long as a NA motor for the typical life that most people are keeping their vehicles. It's like the posts about auto stop/start and all the folks that think it kills your starter - where are all the failures?

You started the thread indicating that you wanted to get a NA motor b/c you feel they are more reliable/will last longer. I questioned that assertion. You told me to prove that turbos are as reliable. I ask you the same. I posted a funny meme. While it is certainly true that you can't break a turbo if you don't have one, I'm not convinced in 2023 that a turbo engine won't last as long as a NA motor for the typical life that most people are keeping their vehicles. It's like the posts about auto stop/start and all the folks that think it kills your starter - where are all the failures?
I don't think either of us can prove our point. Mine is based purely on the fact that a turbo adds a complexity to an engine that it otherwise doesn't have without a turbo, therefore it's more prone to failure. I think the variable that can't be proven is how much more likely a turbo engine is to experience a failure. I agree turbos have gotten much better, and more reliable in recent years as their use becomes more wide spread, but the fact remains, it still adds a possible failure point to an engine that an NA engine doesn't have...

Last edited:
I don't think either of us can prove our point. Mine is based purely on the fact that a turbo adds a complexity to an engine that it otherwise doesn't have without a turbo, therefore it's more prone to failure. I think the variable that can't be proven is how much more likely a turbo engine is to experience a failure. I agree turbos have gotten much better, and more reliable in recent years as their use becomes more wide spread, but the fact remains, it still adds a possible failure point to an engine that an NA engine doesn't have...
Even naturally aspirated engines are pretty complex these days. Dual overhead camshafts, variable valve timing, long timing chains and all the associated hardware, etc. A turbocharged engine would certainly be a bit more complex but I'm not sure it's all that significantly so and it would typically have beefed up internals to handle the boost also. That being said, life is short. If buying something naturally aspirated makes you sleep better at night, it's only money.

My sister's 2015 Highlander with 67,000 miles on it, dumped the water pump a few months ago. Overheated to the point that the AC shut off and the dash started dinging before she realized what was happening. Toyota checked it out (I told her to have them do a coolant pressure test, don't know if they actually did it), fixed the water pump and changed the oil. I'm waiting for one of the head gaskets to fail.

My sister's 2015 Highlander with 67,000 miles on it, dumped the water pump a few months ago. Overheated to the point that the AC shut off and the dash started dinging before she realized what was happening. Toyota checked it out (I told her to have them do a coolant pressure test, don't know if they actually did it), fixed the water pump and changed the oil. I'm waiting for one of the head gaskets to fail.
That's unusual.

Too many run the OE coolant to 10/100.... they get what they deserve.

Well maintained 2gr's are very reliable. I'd take it over the Ford anyday. And, with the VQ being my favorite engine, I'd have to flip a coin to decide among 1gr/2gr or VQ30-40 as they are both just that good. Change the VQ water pump once and you'll not like that engine as much as a 2gr.

Head gasket... not an issue!!! More like an owner issue
Oil leaks.... blame the factory.... I have a couple that haven't leak in 180k+ miles....

Rubber oil cooler and VVT hoses.... well, some cost cutter must've got a bonus. You should upgrade to the solid lines from the later models. Don't replace the rubber oil hose with another rubber prone to fail oil hose.

Don't get hung up on 10k oil change intervals, or MPG thin oils either. Neither are good for your valvetrain. Do exercise the dipstick.

I'd think that the 2gr would be more idiot proof than a turbo engine. The same neglect won't be as successful with a 2.4T vs a 3.5NA. The US consumer is borderline hopeless. I am pretty sure Toyota knows how to build a tough turbo engine. So, I for one am not worrying about the 2.4T, as much as I worry about the useless consumers that buys them.

At least in the Tacomas the 3.5L needs higher rpm’s to make power. My 4.0L has been rock solid and makes power down low. I’m curious to see the reviews on the 2.4LT when it comes out. I got a buddy who has the 2.7LT in his GMC truck and absolutely loves it. Tows his boat and camp with ease.

When I looked at cars seemed like quite a few are using mini motors 1.3 1.4 1.5 etc... these days and slapping a turbo on. I don't mind the turbo on my 2.5 Mazda as at least the motor is larger. My main thing was I didn't want auto/start/stop or a CVT.

At least in the Tacomas the 3.5L needs higher rpm’s to make power. My 4.0L has been rock solid and makes power down low. I’m curious to see the reviews on the 2.4LT when it comes out. I got a buddy who has the 2.7LT in his GMC truck and absolutely loves it. Tows his boat and camp with ease.

I've owned both two 4.0L Tacoma's and two 3.5L's. The 4.0 is nice that it has that down low cruising power, but the 3.5 has a better advantage once you wind it up to pass someone. Where they screwed up is the gearing in the 6 speed automatic. I feel the manual which has a different rear end ratio does a better job. Most times you can just leave it in 6th gear and cruise right along. Whereas the automatic would be shifting in and out to find that right spot.

Scotty Kilmer says a larger displacement NA engine will outlive a smaller turbo engine.

Less pressure, less heat, less stress.
I'm sure the turbo owners will be quick to say he's full of beans...

My brother has a 3.5 in his '21 Camry. He bought it new and it already has +45k miles on it. It shouldn't take long to get a 100k mile report. Amsoil and Wix XP filters, 10k OCI.

He's already put on a set of tires:

IMG_2988.jpg

Historically, he drives his Toyotas (Tercels, Corollas) +400k miles.

Back