How bullet proof is Toyota's 3.5 V-6?

I have a turbo 4 popper in my current vehicle, but I think I might want to go back to a NA engine to keep the power, but gain engine life. We had two Siennas that had the 3.5, but we didn't keep either of them long enough to find out how well they hold up long term...

I have a turbo 4 popper in my current vehicle, but I think I might want to go back to a NA engine to keep the power, but gain engine life. We had two Siennas that had the 3.5, but we didn't keep either of them long enough to find out how well they hold up long term...
Not sure why you think 2.4T won't last as long?
2GR-FE/FKS are unremarkable engines, which is kind of good. It is on conservative side of things. They had some leak issues etc.
But, question is WHY you think 2.4T won't last? Too much forum reading?

2GR-FE/FKS are unremarkable engines, which is kind of good. It is on conservative side of things. They had some leak issues etc.
I don't necessarily think a turbo engine won't last. I just think a turbo adds another component to an engine that can go bad. NA engines are simpler and have fewer things to break...

I don't necessarily think a turbo engine won't last. I just think a turbo adds another component to an engine that can go bad. NA engines are simpler and have fewer things to break...

Our 2012 Toyota Sienna 3.5 is coming up on 138,000 miles. Only major repairs were alternator at around 90,000 miles. AC compressor went out at 120,000 miles. Been a great vehicle and a workhorse for our family. Plan on keeping until auto market cools off a lot more.

2 more pistons. con rods 8 valves etc. It seems to be even.

Turbo bad turbo no may last forever. If turbo need replace get rid of whole car.

The current 3.5L Toyota is a very well-sorted engine. The only common issue is a bit of a oil weeping leak at the front timing cover. It can be an annoyance over time, but it never stops the engine from running. It's on my short-list of vehicles in an ES350 I'm considering for my next vehicle. The simplicity and ease of service make it near the top of the list.

Timing cover leaks, earlier models had VVT oil line & water pump issues

Some have valve sealing/Head gasket issues, but I think that was confined to earlier years?

@The Critic hadn't had too good of luck with a particular V6 Camry, cam phaser issues IIRC?

It's not a bad engine by any means, but not quite as good as some previous Toyota engines

I'd still rather have it over a Pentastar, or a 0w20+VCM J Series, that's for sure 😳

Keep calm, and keep the Mazda IMO

The Toyotas They reliable but not on par with a Ford 3.5V6 or a Nissan‘s VQ series 3.5V6. 🫥🫥😎😎

The 2GR is a good engine, but... turbo motors can last, and just how much do you want to spend on "just in case"?

I had a turbo motor and it went 255k before the turbo went. I was lucky, it didn't grenade and send shrapnel. Swapped it out for a bigger unit and engine with >300k before I sent it all down the line, running just fine.

Big V6 might not handle the same, more weight up front, maybe more torque steer, no idea. But usually Mazda is a more engaging ride, Toyota is snoresville--fine if that is what you want, but otherwise it might just lead to more could-woulda-shoulda thinking.

Edit: traverse V6's have been considered on the hard side to work on. Traverse 4's might also get that award, but usually are a bit easier.

Back