Rental Car Review: 2021 Corolla

Rented this car from Enterprise because I had to have the HAH flatbeded to the dealer for what turned out to be a very minor problem and also wanted them to do the AC repairs for which Honda had extended the warranty. The AC had lost enough gas that it didn't work at all. I didn't know how long they'd have it. The 'rolla had about 45K on it.
Anyway, the Corolla had a painfully plain interior in the all black look that we used to make fun of with GM cars. The only padding was on the seats, although the driver's seat was comfortable. The molded plastic didn't look junky and would probably hold up well over time. The dashboard did jut out way too far on both the passenger and driver side, making the interior a little claustrophobic, but I'm sure that Toyota had a reason for this, like front collision crashworthiness. Overall, not an objectionable interior.
Driving was quite okay. I did not test maximum acceleration nor cornering grip. Both seemed okay and the CVT was pretty unobtrusive in operation as was the EPS. The AC worked well on a humid 90F day. I drove through a brief deluge and the car felt perfectly secure even as I could barely see through the intense rain. This is not what one would call a quiet car, but not too bad. The car had a very solid feel and there were no squeaks or rattles.
The car seemed fairly noisey compared to what I'm used to these days. Ride was firm and well controlled.
Fuel economy was exceptional. I only put about sixty miles on the car, but I added only 1.2 gallons before returning it and the gauge was actually a little above what it had been when I picked it up.
Overall, this would make a good low cost ride for someone looking for an economical cheap long-distance commuter or for anyone wanting or needing an inexpensive car. The car should last for a long time since Toyota doesn't make junk, and I say that as a long-time Honda buyer.
Finally, at around 3K lbs, this thing was not like a new eighties Corolla or Civic, but then nothing else is either these days.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I can't get past minimizing having the car flatbeded to a dealer for multiple repairs. If this was a GM or Chrysler you'd be all over it. Funny to watch Honda/Toyota owners minimize this.
I posted a thread on this. The car was bricked due to a failing 12V battery. Whether GM or Chrysler, a company that no longer exists, incidentally, would have owned up and covered the AC repairs as warranty seems unlikely.
This whole adventure cost me around $200.00. With a GM or "Chysler" product all the needed parts would be on months long backorder anyway.
Guy who works for me has a '21 Camaro that does not run. Needs a fuel pump. ETA from the dealer is maybe September.
In contrast, Honda made sure that the parts needed for a free repair were available right now.
We have both a Dodge (or "Ram" if you prefer) and a GMC pickup in our fleet at work. Both required mutiple warranty repairs and with both of them the time the dealers had the trucks was absurdly long, whether for lack of techs or lack of parts. Either way, any retail buyer depending on either of these vehicles would have been truly out of pocket and out of luck.

I posted a thread on this. The car was bricked due to a failing 12V battery. Whether GM or Chrysler, a company that no longer exists, incidentally, would have owned up and covered the AC repairs as warranty seems unlikely.
This whole adventure cost me around $200.00. With a GM or "Chysler" product all the needed parts would be on months long backorder anyway.
Guy who works for me has a '21 Camaro that does not run. Needs a fuel pump. ETA from the dealer is maybe September.
In contrast, Honda made sure that the parts needed for a free repair were available right now.
We have both a Dodge (or "Ram" if you prefer) and a GMC pickup in our fleet at work. Both required mutiple warranty repairs and with both of them the time the dealers had the trucks was absurdly long, whether for lack of techs or lack of parts. Either way, any retail buyer depending on either of these vehicles would have been truly out of pocket and out of luck.

Cool story.

I had a Corolla and really liked it. I switched to Civics but would buy another eco-box Toyota. They run cheap and are dependable.
Absolutely...

I have said I would never buy a new car because of the initial depreciation, but if I were in the market, my local dealer has Corollas at MSRP, and $23,500 buys you a brand new 2023...

Since I view the purpose of a car as being to get me from point A to point B, and the fact that 3 and 4 year old Corollas are going for $20,000... I might just pay cash for a new one (made in Japan), take care of it and keep it for 20 years...

It will never be a Lexus LS, but it does not try to be... cars are not investments, and I like to extract every penny of value from mine...

I have customers who like to buy new, or as new as possible, drive them to the ground, and then resurrect the remains as an 'extra car'.

The Corolla is my #1 choice for that type of customer. Recently I saw a review online where the presenter was making the Kia Rio out to be the better value than the Toyota Corolla. He can say what he wants but when the phrase 'long-term reliability' isn't given so much as a whisper, the recommendation isn't going to be accurate.

For most non-enthusiasts who just want to drive a car from Point A to Point B the Toyota Corolla is an excellent choice. Even with a price premium.

My Father-in-laws '16 Jeep Renegade was in for 6 weeks at dealer waiting on fuel pump. Nationwide backorder. Took them over 3 weeks just to get it into the shop to diagnose it. No loaners available for at least 8 weeks, factory warranty won't cover rental until diagnosed by dealer and then only 5 days. What do you do if it's your only car for over 3 weeks to get to work? I found one that was NOT allocated to customer 2 states away. I paid for it said don't ship yet. Called dealer and asked if they wanted it shipped or will pay my time/mileage to deliver it after some very heated conversations days prior. Miraculously they found one available next day. About 1.5 months later CEL for oil pressure. They brought it in next day and replaced sensor. 2 months later same sensor CEL. They have it now with comments of it's losing oil pressure as it warms up. They said probably needs new motor. Fortunately 2300 miles left on extended warranty and they did most of the oil changes. Loaners not available until August again. One interesting profanity laced message left on service voicemail from FIL. Next day they came up with a loaner.

Here is the scary part. The person doing the loaner paperwork and checkout said the loaner contract is for 30 days. They will email right at the end so he can take a picture of mileage and e-sign for the next 30 days. :oops:

I had a '93 Corolla 5MT that in 14 years and 220k left me "stranded" 3 times. 2 times for distributor O-ring leak killing ignition. 1x for seized tensioner on timing belt (shut it down before it broke). As a back and forth reliable vehicle I would definitely get a new one if needed. Corolla got totaled and replaced with an '07 Sonata 5MT for larger size with the kids. Also great vehicle all around, something happened I think with balance shaft module chain at 220k. Wasn't worth the $$ to try and dig in and no time as project. Now '17 Accord 6MT with so far only 1 dealer trip for startup rattle (TSB for chain tensioner) Bought with 49k 11-2020, now has 96k and solid.

My Father-in-laws '16 Jeep Renegade was in for 6 weeks at dealer waiting on fuel pump. Nationwide backorder. Took them over 3 weeks just to get it into the shop to diagnose it. No loaners available for at least 8 weeks, factory warranty won't cover rental until diagnosed by dealer and then only 5 days. What do you do if it's your only car for over 3 weeks to get to work? I found one that was NOT allocated to customer 2 states away. I paid for it said don't ship yet. Called dealer and asked if they wanted it shipped or will pay my time/mileage to deliver it after some very heated conversations days prior. Miraculously they found one available next day. About 1.5 months later CEL for oil pressure. They brought it in next day and replaced sensor. 2 months later same sensor CEL. They have it now with comments of it's losing oil pressure as it warms up. They said probably needs new motor. Fortunately 2300 miles left on extended warranty and they did most of the oil changes. Loaners not available until August again. One interesting profanity laced message left on service voicemail from FIL. Next day they came up with a loaner.
Normal Stellantis things. I just got both exhaust manifolds replaced on my Ram at 26K and the parts took 3.5 months to arrive.

The Smart Control module is $499 & on back order with no date and I’d have to pay upfront. I was told it could be 2 months, 6 months. a year, a year plus etc.

Anyone else have any luck finding one? I've been searching for the last month and they don't seem to be available anywhere and Honda has no timeline to deliver the part. My car can no longer function without it.

These Honda Pilot owners are having a long wait for some parts. 3rd generation (2016-2022) needing modules to prevent the alarm from going off at all hours along with other electrical gremlins and wearing down the battery. The modules are on back order. Owner's are having to disconnect the battery when they park. Other Honda owners have had a long wait to have their transmissions (6 speed) replaced due to parts shortages in the Pilots.

The majority of automotive manufacturers are being affected by parts shortages including mechanical and body parts. GM, Ram, Honda, etc.

The Smart Control module is $499 & on back order with no date and I’d have to pay upfront. I was told it could be 2 months, 6 months. a year, a year plus etc.

Anyone else have any luck finding one? I've been searching for the last month and they don't seem to be available anywhere and Honda has no timeline to deliver the part. My car can no longer function without it.
Is this it? If so, looks to be available.
1688908498087.jpg

Absolutely...

I have said I would never buy a new car because of the initial depreciation, but if I were in the market, my local dealer has Corollas at MSRP, and $23,500 buys you a brand new 2023...

Since I view the purpose of a car as being to get me from point A to point B, and the fact that 3 and 4 year old Corollas are going for $20,000... I might just pay cash for a new one (made in Japan), take care of it and keep it for 20 years...

It will never be a Lexus LS, but it does not try to be... cars are not investments, and I like to extract every penny of value from mine...
I am actually thinking about the Toyota Corolla Hybrid for my next daily driver. I love getting mileage. However a nice 3 or 4 year old non hybrid Corolla would be great too and a lot less money up front. Good deals on those are not too hard to find if you are patient.

I am actually thinking about the Toyota Corolla Hybrid for my next daily driver. I love getting mileage. However a nice 3 or 4 year old non hybrid Corolla would be great too and a lot less money up front. Good deals on those are not too hard to find if you are patient.
I wonder if Corolla would slot between Prius and Camry. I pushed the wife into Camry over Prius as I thought it would be a better driving and riding car. Prius seemed a step down on all nvh fronts.

I wonder if Corolla would slot between Prius and Camry. I pushed the wife into Camry over Prius as I thought it would be a better driving and riding car. Prius seemed a step down on all nvh fronts.
Yes that would be a good slot. A basic rule of thumb is the heavier and more expensive car the better the ride with the sacrifice of less fuel economy. It's just how much you want to suffer to save fuel.

Yes that would be a good slot. A basic rule of thumb is the heavier and more expensive car the better the ride with the sacrifice of less fuel economy. It's just how much you want to suffer to save fuel.
I think it's a matter of what you're used to driving. Coming from my daily driver Accord, the Corolla seemed noisy and unrefined, although I wouldn't call it a penalty box.
If one drove the Corolla for a few weeks it would become normal and in no way objectionable.

The Corolla is nice to zip around town in. But on the hwy the wind noise around the side windows gets a bit tiresome. Big difference between this and the Camry on long trips with noise.

For '23 the base LE comes standard with the larger 2 liter engine instead of the 1.8 liter, so a nice jump in hp. A larger center screen comes standard, two tone lighter colored interiors. No more independent rear suspension on the LE anymore. Some other interior trim pieces have a cheaper look to them with the '23.

I have a personal Ram, and many company Ram pickups to, parts are quick and easy to get.
Seems odd to tow it for a bad battery.
Jump or bump start it, and drive it to the shop, if unable to change it yourself, which is ultra easy to do.

By the way my 2016 Ram hasn't had battery or AC issues.

I think it's a matter of what you're used to driving. Coming from my daily driver Accord, the Corolla seemed noisy and unrefined, although I wouldn't call it a penalty box.
If one drove the Corolla for a few weeks it would become normal and in no way objectionable.
I agree 100% I have had accords as well as Civic's and a Corolla. The Accord will drive nicer however burn more gasoline.

Back