How bullet proof is Toyota's 3.5 V-6?

The 2GR is a good engine, but... turbo motors can last, and just how much do you want to spend on "just in case"?
In my case I'm not considering getting rid of the Mazda because it's a turbo, I'm considering it because it's on the list of VINs that could end up with a cracked cylinder head. If I do end up replacing it, I'd rather my next vehicle not be a turbo...

We bought a 2009 Venza with 58,000 on it last August. 3.5 and loaded with everything. Since getting it the front cover is weeping and I’m thinking the engine noise that has developed is from VVTI (almost sounds like piston slap but it hangs around for a while) until you you drive it for 5-8 minutes and then it’s quiet. Replaced the alternator and that wasn’t much fun as a DIY. If I’d done my homework a little better I may have passed on this one. Don’t think I’ll ever own another transverse V6 again. At least it looks factory new and no rust anywhere from Gma and Gpa owning it.

Next up is replacing the rubber oil cooler lines. WTH were they thinking?

It seems it depends on the vehicle they're going in. Some have had bad head gaskets that externally leak coolant, but those were earlier models and a new gasket was made.

I know in the Tacoma's it's timing cover oil leaks, rear coolant crossover leaks (earlier models so far) and the occasional bad cylinder head. Haven't heard any oil burning concerns with the FKS variant.

I have a turbo 4 popper in my current vehicle, but I think I might want to go back to a NA engine to keep the power, but gain engine life. We had two Siennas that had the 3.5, but we didn't keep either of them long enough to find out how well they hold up long term...
Clock is ticking because the 2GR-FKS is being phased out. 2023+ Highlander are turbo. Sienna is 4-banger hybrid only.

The next gen Camry will likely get the 2.4L turbo to replace the V6.

The Tacoma... rumor is the V6 will disappear also.

The Lexus RX350, like the Highlander is all 4-bangers.

No word on the ES350 yet.... but will probably follow suit with the Camry

The Toyotas They reliable but not on par with a Ford 3.5V6 or a Nissan‘s VQ series 3.5V6. 🫥🫥😎😎
Weren't the Ford 3.5s the engine that had the water pump mounted internally in the engine block and they had a bunch of problems with it?
Clock is ticking because the 2GR-FKS is being phased out. 2023+ Highlander are turbo. Sienna is 4-banger hybrid only.

The next gen Camry will likely get the 2.4L turbo to replace the V6.

The Tacoma... rumor is the V6 will disappear also.

The Lexus RX350, like the Highlander is all 4-bangers.

No word on the ES350 yet.... but will probably follow suit with the Camry
No worries for me. All of the Highlanders I'm looking at are 2016-2018 models, not looking to buy new...

We bought a 2009 Venza with 58,000 on it last August. 3.5 and loaded with everything. Since getting it the front cover is weeping and I’m thinking the engine noise that has developed is from VVTI (almost sounds like piston slap but it hangs around for a while) until you you drive it for 5-8 minutes and then it’s quiet. Replaced the alternator and that wasn’t much fun as a DIY. If I’d done my homework a little better I may have passed on this one. Don’t think I’ll ever own another transverse V6 again. At least it looks factory new and no rust anywhere from Gma and Gpa owning it.

Next up is replacing the rubber oil cooler lines. WTH were they thinking?
I'll be looking at 2016-2018 models. I would imagine the newer engines are somewhat different, and hopefully better than the ones from '09...

Weren't the Ford 3.5s the engine that had the water pump mounted internally in the engine block and they had a bunch of problems with it?

No worries for me. All of the Highlanders I'm looking at are 2016-2018 models, not looking to buy new...
2017 is the switchover to the FKS, so the spark plug interval drops from 120k to 60k miles

Why do folks think that a modern turbo doens't give long engine life? Sure, it's another part that can fail but turbos are in almost anything now and I don't read/hear that they fail alll the time.

2017 is the switchover to the FKS, so the spark plug interval drops from 120k to 60k miles
I would think the change interval would depend on the type of plugs used. For example, iridium plugs shouldn't need to be changed out at anything less than 100K, regardless of which engine they're in...

Last edited:
Why do folks think that a modern turbo doens't give long engine life? Sure, it's another part that can fail but turbos are in almost anything now and I don't read/hear that they fail alll the time.
I think what I've posted here is being twisted. I'm not saying, or even implying that a turbo engine is a ticking time bomb. I'm just saying that engines without turbos are not subject to turbo failures, because they don't have one. Is someone here actually going to say that a turbo engine is just as reliable, and will last as long as a non turbo engine? I don't think a statement like that can be backed up with any facts...

I would think the change interval would depend on the type of plugs used. For example, iridium plugs shouldn't need to be changed out at anything less than 100K, regardless of which engine they're in...
Stock plugs are platinum tipped with U-groove ground electrode, and nonetheless, going to a D4-S injection system is a little harder on plugs than a Port-only injection system.

Last edited:
Is someone here actually going to say that a turbo engine is just as reliable, and will last as long as a non turbo engine? I don't think a statement like that can be backed up with any facts...
Maybe? Do you have data/facts to back that it isn't?

We got a 2019 Lexus RX350 with the 3.5 V6 and 8 speed auto AWD.

It gets over 25 mpg on the Interstate on 87 octane fuel. We are most pleased.

Nope, just common sense...
Turbo's have been used for decades in Europe without longevity issues. Most of Europe taxes vehicle purchases by the size of the engine so smaller and smaller displacement has been the norm with the addition of turbos. Modern turbos don't have reliability issues. Older VW and Volvo's, for example, beg to differ with that common sense, to say nothing of turbo diesel engines. Even this explanation of why not to buy a turbo says nothing about turbo failure:

Last edited:
resize

how test bulletproof ness:

Turbo's have been used for decades in Europe without longevity issues. Most of Europe taxes vehicle purchases by the size of the engine so smaller and smaller displacement has been the norm with the addition of turbos. Modern turbos don't have reliability issues. Older VW and Volvo's, for example, beg to differ with that common sense, to say nothing of turbo diesel engines. Even this explanation of why not to buy a turbo says nothing about turbo failure:

I wonder if my Corolla, now with 433K miles on it, would still be on the road today if it had a turbo engine...I highly doubt it...at least not with the original turbo...

Back