Hondas, Toyotas and the brainwashed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Japanese and Japanese only here.

+1
I only own cars with a "J" in the first position in the VIN

Honda and Toyota make some fantastic cars. My Camry has been sitting for over 5 months, I wouldn't hesitate to get in it and drive to New York and back and not even pop the hood.

But they aren't the only ones that make good cars, that's for sure.

I can't think of anyone I've personally known with a Japanese car that experienced actual reliability anywhere near the grossly inflated reputation.

My partner had to put a brand new transmission in a Toyota with only 56k, just a couple of years old 2012, yet he still spouts off on "Toyota reliability". At that time we had a fleet of aging Chryslers not one of which we ever touched a transmission on, one with nearly 4 times the miles as his Toyota. Everyone we've known with a Honda mini-van has put at least one if not more transmissions in it.

This thread could run forever there are countless similar good and bad stories that could or will be posted about every make ever to roll off the line. It's the nature of the beast, I get that.

One of the best cars I ever owned was a used Chevy Lumina I paid 4,000 bucks for and drove another 12 years without incident. That sucker just wouldn't quit, in fact I sold it last summer for 1000 bucks and it is still running around town.

Whatever gap there was is mostly gone. The car market is a melting pot, there are brands but not really national identities anymore for run of the mill daily drivers.

The Japanese brands are riding on decades of successful marketing/brain washing and the quality of the cars they built 20 years ago. And more buyers are starting to figure that out.

Buy what you like but but the logo on the grill is not a guarantee of anything I don't care whose it is.

The US/Japanese quality gap has certainly narrowed or disappeared over the last decade, but every marque still has its horror stories.

But if you're seriously advocating anyone buy a late-model Focus you really have to get out more. While a basically solid machine the vast majority are equipped with what is probably the most troublesome automatic transmission sold here in the last, well, ever. After a gabillion software reflashes and 2 clutch replacements in 45,000 miles with no end in sight I dumped mine. A class-action lawsuit settlement for Ford's DCT issue is awaiting approval from a judge.

Last edited:
Haven't heard much about those...could it be even worse than FCA's 9 speed? Is that even possible?
confused2.gif

I wish you'all would be quiet. We'll be looking for a nice used Fusion in a year or so and I don't want the Nippon fans to start to switch ... It'll drive up prices
frown.gif

I've had mostly GMs and Chryslers, all gave great service. No complaints. I buy what I like, take care of it and they take care of me.

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
Why would anyone recommend a Ford over a Toyota or Honda? What did this lady ever do to you?

Anyone that isn't a mindless drone would recommend a Ford over a Toyota or Honda

You get more bang for your buck, and likely a newer, better condition car by buying cars that have low residual retained value. A used Honda or Toyota holds its value more than a Chevy, Chrysler, Ford, Kia, so dollar for dollar, you can get a much newer, better condition car by buying this way.

Case in point, my Chrysler was a top of the line, $45k model when new. Used, with 25K miles, it was $12500. A similar condition Toyota or Honda minivan would have been twice that. Its been a great car. Yes, I know its a Chrysler, but I paid much less for a much better optioned, and better condition, and newer car, for the same money, then had I gone with Toyota or Honda.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You get more bang for your buck, and likely a newer, better condition car by buying cars that have low residual retained value. A used Honda or Toyota holds its value more than a Chevy, Chrysler, Ford, Kia, so dollar for dollar, you can get a much newer, better condition car by buying this way.

Case in point, my Chrysler was a top of the line, $45k model when new. Used, with 25K miles, it was $12500. A similar condition Toyota or Honda minivan would have been twice that. Its been a great car. Yes, I know its a Chrysler, but I paid much less for a much better optioned, and better condition, and newer car, for the same money, then had I gone with Toyota or Honda.

This was my point. Much better buys on used cars can be found in things other than Hondas, Toys and Subarus.
This also holds true for new vehicles. A bottom basement deal on a '17 Accord might be around 20K while the same in a Fusion would be closer to 16K. Is the Accord a better car? Could be but maybe not 4K better.
If buyers would open their minds a bit they'd discover a world of better buys than a used Honda or Toyota.

Buy Honda or Toyota and enjoy the higher quality engineering while you own it, then again much higher values at resale..the extra money comes right back to you, pretty simple, highly popular.

Last edited:
Just an observation on another brand, Subaru. My two nephews both had to have their engines replace in their Subaru's and they take them to the dealer for service all the time. Another friend of mine has had the same issues with his. To me that would be enough to turn me off that brand.

Sure other manufactures have issues as well. But to see three vehicles owned by three different individuals that take care of their vehicles go through engines, something doesn't seem right.

I'm sure there are a bunch of individuals out there that see this and say just like posted above. "it will be a cold day in ---- before I buy another one of those, insert brand here".

My sister is one, had a few recalls with her husbands GMC Sonoma truck and they swore off buying another GM brand. She now has a Corolla and it has been in for several recalls so now she is looking at another brand. So where does one stop brand jumping? You can't because they all have issues, unfortunately my sister seems to get the ones with all the issues. Her Honda Civic had the transmission go out on it, it was a standard to boot.

Then there are individuals like a friend from church that has a 2004 suburban 2 wheel drive with 355k miles on it all original engine and transmission. Other than a nasty oil leak it is a great vehicle.

Hondas are great vehicles. Especially if you get the 4-cylinder. I EXPECT to go 400k miles in my Accord with just routine fluid changes, brakes, and tires. I honestly EXPECT that. I EXPECT that my wife's CRV will go to 150k with the same, and she'll trade it in and get a newer car and we'll get a good amount of money for her trade in.

The late model Focus was a terrible recommendation, no offense. The Fusion is pretty solid with the 2.5, that is a proven engine. I do agree that the American makes are doing much better in reliability than they were in the past, but Honda and Toyota still reign supreme. Not all models are flawless but overall those brands tend to rank higher. True Delta is a great place to see this for yourself. Hyundai and Kia's reliability seems to be great now! I wouldn't have an issue recommending one of their products unless is was in the years affected by poor machining on engines that left debris in the crankcase. They are good cars unless you care about driving dynamics.

Oh, another reason to by Honda and Toyota is RESALE VALUE. The Jetta in my sig for instance has terrible resale value, and that was even before dieselgate. The car just turned a mere 3 years old and has less than 30K miles but has lost value equivalent to nearly half of the original purchase price. The Accord is still worth substantially more even being 5 years old and having 20K more miles than the Jetta.

Buy what you like and don't worry about anyone else's opinion. It's your money. You can read horror stories about every model and make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back